Re-routing in a road block or escaping a developing situation — TomTom Community

Re-routing in a road block or escaping a developing situation

BadBoy 911BadBoy 911 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi Guys

I had a major problem last Monday. I was travelling by Buckingham Palace and a lot of the roads were closed due to some of display etc.
TomTom could not re-route me to Leicester Square and ended going in circle for more than 90-120 mins in traffic. Whatever I did, it kept taking me back to the same itinerary which of course was not possible to use.

I do have live traffic enabled on the unit, obviously it was not working. I doubt Tomtom can keep up with every road blocks; the cops close at will.

How to force a different complete alternate route if a developing situation has happened on your way to your destination? Basically avoiding a complete area?

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,206 Superusers
    Menu-->Current Route-->Choose alternate perhaps?
  • BadBoy 911BadBoy 911 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you. For some reason the unit became unresponsive too, when I started to go in circle.
  • arichardarichard Posts: 319 [Supreme Navigator]
    It seems sometimes turning it off and getting out an old road atlas is the best way forward :D
  • GCollinsonGCollinson Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Hi - had TomTom for years. Had a 950 live for a long time. Got a 5000 now.
    I had the same problem last night, and today, and have had it before.
    5000 has some great features, but it's still way behind the 950 in others.

For me, the best option was to choose "alternative route", and pick one that got me (far enough) away from what I knew was actually a permanently blocked road, so that I could get onto a better route.

In London / inner city (which I was NOT today), it's a lot more difficult, especially with one way systems.

I get SO frustrated that "block road" or rather "avoid roadblock in xxx yrds" etc are no longer with us.

frustrating
  • MrGainMrGain Posts: 29 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Hi,

A perfect example of where the wheels fall off with TomTom navigation. The only explanation I can assume is that TomTom won't pay for the Traffic Message Channel;

"Traffic Message Channel (TMC) is a technology for delivering traffic and travel information to motor vehicle drivers. It is digitally coded using the ALERT C protocol into RDS Type 8A groups carried via conventional FM radio broadcasts. It can also be transmitted on Digital Audio Broadcasting or satellite radio"

OEM car navigation uses TMC and would have picked up the closed roads and routed you out of a mess.

If your route had been impassable due to standing traffic, TomTom would have re-routed you, however as TomTom assumes a closed road with no traffic is open you kept going round in circles. TomTom genius at it's best

Cheers
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback here!

I moved the topic to the Traffic board as the issue seems to be more with TomTom Traffic than the device.

We use 3rd party sources and automatic detection to get road closure information for TomTom Traffic. Should you find a closure missing or incorrect, you can report it straight to our Traffic team with the MapShare Reporter.

Please note, that for 156 cities around the world (at the time I'm typing this) you can also view live traffic flows in the TomTom City site at tomtom.com/city.

Cheers, Mikko
  • MrGainMrGain Posts: 29 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Why is this problem solved, it just highlights the gaps in the TomTom system;

Thought as much, for a road to show as closed a TomTom user has to report it to TomTom. TMC pings it up immediately on OEM system.

Makes sense now why maps and closed roads are innacurate with TomTom compared to other systems.
    I reported a closed road in September, TomTom still has it has open.

Hopeless
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi MrGain,

The OP considered his question answered and marked the solution.

Please, post your question to a new topic so that we can help you with it :D

Cheers, Mikko