Could I use the Rider 400 off road on a bicycle?

Tazman46Tazman46 Posts: 1
edited January 11 in RIDER
Hello all,

I am thinking of buying the Rider 400 primarily to use off road on my bicycle. As I understand it so far it ticks a lot of boxes which would enable me to do that - 6 hour battery life, the ability to upload GPX files to plan my own route and obviously a bar mounting system - please correct me if I'm wrong. My question is, will it see canal tow paths and off road areas in general or is it going to keep trying to "navigate me to highlighted route"?

Comments

• EddepetEddepet Posts: 50 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    As long as your paths are on the map it will work.
    However, most tow paths / off road areas are not.
    Even after setting up a track in whatever piece of software on the paths you want, TT will ignore the track and guide you to a road of which they think is better for you.
    The Rider runs the same software as for the car devices, the only difference is the waterproof housing.
    Guess you'd be better of with a Garmin or an app like Orux on your phone.
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 273 [Exalted Navigator]
    Tazman46 wrote:
    Hello all,

I am thinking of buying the Rider 400 primarily to use off road on my bicycle. ...............

Definitely not a good option for off road. as mentioned above. you can play around here https://mydrive.tomtom.com that will give you some insight into the maps. hope this helps.

my pick, i would think possibly a phone, ram x-grip with safety strap web, could do a battery pack, like a smaller anker brand or something similar to keep the device going. or a device designed for off road applications.
    Hope this helps !!
  • basixbasix Posts: 480 Superuser
    rider 4xx doesn't do off road navigation, it wil try to take you to the nearest road all the time

I am not a TomTom employee. Don't send me private messages.
  • basixbasix Posts: 480 Superuser
    maybe it could work in pedestrian mode however, anyone tried that yet?

I am not a TomTom employee. Don't send me private messages.