TomTom GO 500 shows "ads" while driving — TomTom Community

TomTom GO 500 shows "ads" while driving

When in default map mode, and driving around, my new GO500 will switch into a "help" mode sto show me all the neat features - totally defeating why I am using a GPS. Yeah, I want to see my location on a map when I am out and about. But TomTom thinks I want advice on what features are available, like TRAFFIC or SPEED CAMS. While those features are really cool, they really are not pertinent when I am driving down a dirt road at 8 mph in 4wd low.

There must be a way to disable this DEMO mode.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,206 Superusers
    This is an indication that, in fact, you may have gotten a demo device by accident. Supposedly, if after about 20 miles of driving, these ads don't disappear, call support for sure:

United States
    866 486 6866
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST
    Saturday: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m EST

and tell them a demo script continues to be activated on the device. In the 'old' days of Nav2 devices from pre 2009, the user had access to the file system and could delete the scripts him/her self.
  • 4x4 Tim4x4 Tim Posts: 22 [Outstanding Explorer]
    The TomTom was reset, updated, reset, and updated a second time. It continued to act like a billboard of features while driving down the highway.

I had set the home location, driven a short route programmed in - store to home, so thought the unit defective.

As a last resort, I plugged in an address about 8 miles away, and turned on guidance and drove there and then set the destination back home.

This drive appears to have "flipped" the demo mode off.

The moral? Out of the box the TomTom Go 500 doesn't want to be a map device.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm glad to hear you got this sorted! :D It sounds like you were sold a repackaged demo model. The demo mode can indeed by disabled by planning a route and driving for a few minutes. It sounds like you didn't have a route planned when you first drove with it.

Cheers, Mikko
  • the Maverickthe Maverick Posts: 24 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Actually this happened to me on my trip to a location 35 miles away. The adds came up on my GO5200 several times on the journey. touching the screen put it back to the map, but it was quite disconcerting. Solution is to clear route and then set route to previous destination. That sorts it.
    Having a GO5100 next to the GO5200, it was its first route too. It may be worth mentioning it to TomTom about this happening (maybe) on first route use. It was not like it was it expected as already had 30 odd places and routes loaded via MyDrive (from use of the GO5100, though admittedly, it was its first route on the new GO5200
  • the Maverickthe Maverick Posts: 24 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Since this only happened on its first route planned, and it is never happened since, it does appear to happen only to devices on the fist route if the route happens to be of some length. I maybe wrong, but I think it started to happen after about 20 miles, touching the screen put it back to map for a short distance, then it happened again. Very frustrating. I cancelled the route and then started again, and it has never happened again
  • TarrosTarros Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    my GO 5200 worked fantastically from the get go. After the last full update (including a new software update) I now get the very unwanted "Welcome to Priority Driving" video.

Desperately wanting to remove it.

Even went so far as ripping it off the windscreen and launching it toward the open passenger window. Was tethered via power cable, so didn't make it out the window. But in defiance, it did start to play that darn video yet again.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,206 Superusers
    Supposedly after driving something like 25 miles (40 km) at about 50 km/hr, that ad should disappear. Something like that.

But try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds. Even perhaps a complete Factory Reset.

If of no help, call support:

Australia
    1300 135 604
    Monday-Friday:9:00 am to 5:30 pm AEST
    Thanks dhn,

Tried the drum reset, no luck. Will try the 20km trip tomorrow and doing 75km (one way) on Tuesday. Will also call support tomorrow before I do a full factory reset.

Will let you know what happens.

Cheers,
    M
    Some success !

Used Nav today to a known destination. Actually the first time I have used navigation (normally just look at Maps).

After a minute the video appeared. Tapped the screen and kept driving. Didn't come back = YAY.

About to go on a longer trip without navigation to see what happens. Hopefully (as others have suggested) the problem has been resolved.

If you don't hear from me again (about this topic), it will be because all is good and working as expected.

Cheers,
    M