is every headset affected all the time ?? (hoarse voice) — TomTom Community

is every headset affected all the time ?? (hoarse voice)

JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 290 [Exalted Navigator]
edited January 27 in RIDER
hey guys, phone is a galaxy s7. kicking around a headset, sena 20, possibly 30, heck i don't know since i never had one.
is every unit a problem with the hoarse voice all the time ?? are there workarounds?? volume level, or anything ?
please this isn't a bash on tomtom, it is what it is, i'm just trying to get a feel if it makes any sense to look at a headset or not. (apt-x missing is another big reason i have not gotten one, and i use custom molded headphones.)

thanks much !!

Comments

• basixbasix Posts: 486 Superuser
    as far as I can see from posts on both english and german forums, the issue is present with all brands of headsets, from cardo, to schuberth to sena.
    I have a sena 20s and just disabled the voice guidance and use it only for alerts, unless I'm somewhere I really don't know how to drive, then I just enable it back using the quick settings.

a fix is supposedly in works, but no promises have been made yet.
  • ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 360 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    All headsets and the problem has existed for more than 1 1/2 year. TomTom has not addressed the problem in a software update which could be because it is a hardware problem - and thus, unsolvable. But TomTom still want our money until a new Rider Model is relished. So sad.
  • 954dk954dk Posts: 292 [Master Traveler]
    No, my Nolan Bluetooth Kit 3 + is not affected (for now)...
    Are you talking about the headset alone or in combination with a smartphone so the GPS can retrieve traffic updates?
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 726 Superuser
    Also when the Internet connection is fast enough the problem is less, sometimes unnoticed.

Be sure that every BlueTooth feature is used as Thomas mentioned above...
  • TenCatsTenCats Posts: 29 [Master Explorer]
    I have no problems using a Sena SMH5 in combination with a Samsung S6 Edge and a Rider 40.
    TenCats wrote:
    I have no problems using a Sena SMH5 in combination with a Samsung S6 Edge and a Rider 40.

Is that with the Bluetooth data connection on - and not just the ability to have phone calls?
  • SBDJSBDJ Posts: 15
    Whereas I have problems with a Sena SMH10Road, S6 Edge and Rider 410. Main problems are distorted audio and TomTom's love of holding the HFP connection open disrupting everything else on my headset.
  • SBDJSBDJ Posts: 15
    Sorry, SMH10R - not sure what that auto correct was supposed to be!
  • TenCatsTenCats Posts: 29 [Master Explorer]
    ThomasGN wrote:
    TenCats wrote:

Is that with the Bluetooth data connection on - and not just the ability to have phone calls?

Correct, including bluetooth tethering and bluetooth headset.
    Also try to see what happens with a slower internet connection, i.e. try to use 3G or 2G/GPRS connection instead of the very fast 4G.
    It dosen't matter if your phone use 3G or 4G. The problem is the bluetooth connection between the GPS and phone/headset. The newest software update made it even worse. Now I have the hoarse voice even with no phone connected and parring removed both for phone and data. It is now so bad that I no longer can understand what the GPS is saying.
    Of course it's 100% a Bluetooth problem but I wanted to check if (transmission) time masks or not this problem...
  • jelle1970jelle1970 Posts: 93 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same issue with the hoarse sound since the last update of tomtom.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback regarding this issue!

I'd like to remind that the issue we're talking about is one where you get bad audio quality through your headset when a phone is connected for TomTom Services. Any other headset connection and/or audio quality issue should be dealt with separately.

@ Thomas: I talked to the product team about this issue, specifically that you have now bad audio quality also without phone connected. They were interested to hear if the audio quality ever restored after being used for a while? Are the sounds ok through the speaker of your device?

@ Jelle: Could you also state the phone model and OS version, as well as your headset model, please?

Cheers, Mikko
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 290 [Exalted Navigator]
    Thanks Mikko,
    i have yet to purchase a headset, but thank you for looking into this some more.
    Hi Mikkok, I have Motorola G4 and the the OS is Android 7.0. The headset is a Sena smh5 FM.
    Additional info. Because I had problems that TomTom 400 could not find Phone contacts, I removed the bluetooth connection. I paired again. Now the voices are good. Maybe in the last update of TomTom 400 is a issue. And problably could resolve by paring again the bluetooth.
    Before the last update I had never a problem.
    HI Jelle,

Thanks for coming back and I'm glad to hear you got it sorted! :D

Removing the pairings from all devices, resetting them and re-pairing them indeed solves this for most. Any updates on these devices may cause a problem with the connection if the update included a change in Bluetooth® connectivity - and the v16.601 update did. In such most cases re-pairing is effective.

Cheers, Mikko
    Well the hoarse sound is back again. Has it to do with the riding speed? From fast to slow that tomtom cannot handle it? Very annoying.

Or the Bluetooth communication protocol is not stable?

I have emailed customer support. But I read on this forum also no good hopes for any solution. Maybe tomtom should buy some bluetooth headsets like sena smh-series 5 and do some tests.

I like the device but bluetooth connection is very bad developed and no solution for so long time.
    If you have to drive for a whole day with bad sound, that's terrible.
  • 954dk954dk Posts: 292 [Master Traveler]
    It's actually pretty funny.
    One of the users states, that ALL bluetooth headsets are affected, when connected to a phone and retrieving traffic information.

I have a Nolan Bluetooth Kit 3 + connected to my Rider 40, which is retrieving traffic info via my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.

It is NOT affected. No hoarse voice. Period! :)
    Hi Jelle,

I'm sorry to hear the issues is back!

Could you try re-pairing again, please? As mentioned above, that's very likely to solve it again since you're experiencing this after the software update.

Just to further clarify here, the issue is not with particular headsets but with particular headset and phone combinations. Their firmware/OS versions may also be a factor. The last I heard from the product team, they had some possible solutions in sight. I can't promise you anything concrete, but they're testing their findings as we speak and hopefully we'll see some improvement soon :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • ChorsleyChorsley Posts: 11 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I have not upgraded to 17.01 yet, however mine seems ok at the moment it occasionally has an odd moment but on the whole it ok much better than it used to be , i am using a Rider 400 Interphone F5MC and Samsung Galaxy S7
  • RTwoRTwo Posts: 53 [Master Traveler]
    My set up, no hoarse voice issues

Rider 400 (17.01)
    Samsung Note 2 (GT-N7100)
    Sena 10U
  • Paul.R.F.Paul.R.F. Posts: 99 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I recently purchased a Philips bluetooth in-ear set just for my phone and decided to see how they went with the Rider and they are very clear with the the phone set up for traffic and phone calls. I do later wish to purchase a proper helmet headset but at least with these at the moment I can still hear directions and get live traffic updates.
    http://www.philips.com.au/c-p/SHQ6500CL_00/bluetooth-sports-headphones
  • mcfyrenmcfyren Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I have like the many of you had problems with hoarse at scratching sound in various headsets with my TOMTOM Rider 400. I have been hoping that the problem would be fixed with at software upgrade, but gave up the hope after the last update and still periodically bad sound.
    Because my warranty runs out in july, i decided to give TOMTOM a call, and asked them to setup a repair of my unit.
    I must say that i was impressed of how kind and friendly the supporter was. She said that the problem was known on their repair centre, and that the problem with the bad sound was fixed every time the units came return from their repair centre.
    So she arranged a UPS pickup on my workplace in Copenhagen. Next day (yes, NEXT day) it was arrived in the repair centre in Romania!

On TOMTOM's webpage i was able to follow the status of the case, and saw that the GPS was repaired next business day and returned via UPS on friday. Because of the weekend in Denmark the package was delivered at my frontdoor around 12 o'clock. All within five days totally. Thats impressive, i think.

I was pretty curious to find out what was changed and repaired when the unit was back. The repair note says that the complete touch/LCD assembly has been changed, the unit tested and returned. ("4.3" CNI/TMA463 LCM Assembly Ref" as stated on the repair report)
    All at no cost. I think that there might be som Bluetooth hardware or electrical noice related to this LCD panel.

Now i have been testing the GPS with two different headsets for around 2 hours of driving, without any bad sound at all.
    Nice clear sound without any problems. Even phone calls was loud and clear.

So until further i'm extremely satisfied with the repair, and would suggest other users experiencing these problems to contact TOMTOM.

And no, i do not work or have relations to TOMTOM :-)

/Kenneth Holm - Denmark