MyDrive connect - software for Linux (specifically Suse 13.1/Ubuntu/Scientific Linux)

LinuxLinux Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
edited January 31 in Archived Discussions
How to update a Go50 from a Linux computer?
Why is the required software available (on the web site)
only for proprietary operating systems? Tomtom brags
somewhere that its own system is based on Linux.

Comments

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 35,979 Superusers
    They never had and most likely never will have support application for Linux (unless the Linux market share will go well over 10%, from the 1.x% now).
  • LinuxLinux Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    and they will furthermore lower their own market share since I will certainly not buy any other equipment from them. Furthermore, the approach to try to force people to buy some other equipment (i.e. a Microsoft system, which is not free) to avail yourself of services that you bought (i.e. the updates) is illegal in several legal systems (Koppelgeschäfte).
    There is nothing illegal about it. Also they didn't force you to buy the device at the first place. And you have always the possibility to visit some friends and family, at least one of them would have a Windows or Mac PC. And the supported systems are written on the box.
  • SpaminalSpaminal Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    having just got a Tomtom, the box states that i need "a PC with internet connection" no mention of the OS needed at all, VERY unhappy :-(
  • LinuxLinux Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    do you call this deceit, fraud, swindle, scam ?
    If it was not a gift, return it
  • AtonHotepGeneYosAtonHotepGeneYos Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Zsolt, that was a rather retarded answer. Well, all of yours, dude.
    Look who's talking...
    If somebody uses Linux, they probably have their own reasons. They probably made their research with regards to a hell long list of factors which you ignorantly sweep off the table from your ivory tower with a sarcastic comment like these ones above. Not very helpful, dude.
    if all those users done such an in-depth research, maybe they should have checked in advance if their device is compatible with the given OS. But most probably I'm wrong again...
    Linux systems have already been there available 15+ years. The ignorance and arrogance these ""companies"" like yours show towards customers who choose to use these systems will definitely do much good to your precious company.
    Dismissing users however small percentage of profit you might or might not expect from them is not what is considered normal or ethic.
    Lecturing the customer and telling them to visit relatives with other OS options is not the best customer service either and by some the person who does this might be considered a savage who's not fit for customer sevice duties and in many cases might end up losing their positions at help desks etc.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,057 Superusers
    For what it is worth, we are users here, just like yourself. NOT TomTom employees unless that is clearly noted under the user name.
    @AtonHotepGeneYos: If you just only did your research, you would have seen that I never said don't make a Linux software, just plainly pointed out thatbthe market share is not justifying for them to do so. A sub-2% market share, that includes most likely many data centre servers too (on which they definitely don't update any satnav brand) is not a good business case to anyone. Especially if you have a look at their latest models, which require no computer at all for the updates.

Also as far as I'm concerned, no other satnav brand offers native Linux support either. The only other I am aware of was provided by 3rd parties and as far as I remember, that is not working anymore either.

So please share your solution with the community, keeping in mind the actual restrains. My reply is not ideal, but as far as I'm concerned, there is no option B at the moment (with the available OS and with the already purchased devices).

And as dhn pointed it out, I'm another user just like you, but I suppose 28k+ times mentioned (on the desktop version) is not enough.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a Linux version. Also one for DOS and maybe FreeBSD and ChromeOS too...
  • arichardarichard Posts: 319 [Supreme Navigator]
    The way Windows 10 is going forcing unwanted updates and changing each time leaving a trail of broken older software, printers etc., and becoming increasingly intrusive towards privacy and being market driven, I and I believe an increasing tide of people are turning to Linux with its open community approach. It takes courage to "leave the establishment" and I am pleasantly surprised that Linux Mint runs fast and smoothly with all the functionality I want and once learnt, will not have to be continually relearnt, unlike the massively bloated op system I have been forced to use up to now. There is something attractive about openly sharing and helping to improve community services when the motive is driven by individual community members and not multinational corporations imprisoned by global economy and exclusively profit driven.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online112

bakasan
bakasan
Bembo
Bembo
CB1100EX
CB1100EX
ploum115
ploum115
reminder
reminder