Runner 2 - Broken/Worn Strap — TomTom Community

Runner 2 - Broken/Worn Strap

MillomiteMillomite Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi

I bought my runner 2 cardio in January and already the strap has started to fail (See pics).

Is this covered under warranty and how do i go about getting it replaced?

Thanks

5183f952-a40b-42d4-a8e7-0efe84077dba.jpg
f010df86-b96b-43ca-922d-0a4958699e82.jpg

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,037 Superusers
    Millomite wrote:
    Hi

I bought my runner 2 cardio in January and already the strap has started to fail (See pics).

Is this covered under warranty and how do i go about getting it replaced?

Thanks

You need to call Customer Support and they will be able to arrange for a replacement. To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact, enter the product name and click Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • fmartinjfmartinj Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Me too has broken my strap.
  • saeefamily4saeefamily4 Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    I much prefered the older strap of the Runner Cardio/Multisport....it just seemed sturdier and not so "cheap"
  • Chris.mituChris.mitu Posts: 31 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Mine broke too after 8 months. Surprised they charge £15 for a strap of such low quality.
  • jcbdiggerjcbdigger Posts: 30 [Master Explorer]
    Another broken strap on Runner 2. bought in December 2015! Not
    convinced this should happen! 87b16b16-2f14-4eb0-bcd7-99779c368409.jpg
    Just called customer service in the UK about this and they are going to send a replacement under warranty. Very impressed with the speed and service they have just given me. Also got email immediately back to confirm:

'This is Lisa in Customer care again. Thank you for your update.
    I have now ordered a replacement strap for you. Please allow 5-10 days for delivery as it is shipped from The Netherlands
    If I you have further queries do not hesitate to contact me using the response link below.

With Kind Regards

Lisa'

Well done TomTom for customer service even if not for strap manufacture.
    jcbdigger wrote:
    Another broken strap on Runner 2. bought in December 2015! Not
    convinced this should happen!

Are you removing the watch from the strap every day? It is not necessary as the dock slides under the band. Removing the strap constantly does put extra strain on the band, so it may be worth trying to charge it without removing it if you have been removing it in the past. In the meanwhile call CS and they will send you out a new band.
    No I haven't been removing every day but I have two straps, a black one I use for work and the coloured one that is used according to my mood! Vanity I suppose. I probably do remove about once a week though. You are right about the docking but its awkward without taking the strap off. I will certainly be a bit more careful about how I change the strap in future though. The hard parts of the strap have nevertheless become noticeably less pliable over the months which I don't think should happen.
  • garfieldwsdgarfieldwsd Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My TomTom Runner 2 bought in 2016 has a broken strap and i am scared to use it as it might fall off. I do not change the strap neither do I remove it when charging. will it be replaced under the TomTom warranty?
    My TomTom Runner 2 bought in 2016 has a broken strap and i am scared to use it as it might fall off. I do not change the strap neither do I remove it when charging. will it be replaced under the TomTom warranty?

As mentioned above, straps are covered under the one year warranty so as long as it is not one year old it should be. Call Customer Support.
  • frustratingfrustrating Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Unfortunately, I have the same (recurring) problem with my multi-sport cardio. I have gone through three straps, always the same problem. I hardly wore the last one, because I really wanted it to last.
    Love the watch, but the strap can't last. Now it is no longer covered by warranty, but the frustrating thing is... none of the straps they sent me lasted a warranty-like time.
    I have been told it will cost 50 euros to send me another strap, but how long would that last???
    And what's the point if in six months I'll need a new strap - grrrrr.
  • MillomiteMillomite Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Well after receiving a new strap under warranty in July. The new strap has now broke again. 7 months seems to be the common failure time for mine
  • dayssedaysse Posts: 31 [Master Explorer]
    Unfortunately, I have the same (recurring) problem with my multi-sport cardio. I have gone through three straps, always the same problem. I hardly wore the last one, because I really wanted it to last.
    Love the watch, but the strap can't last. Now it is no longer covered by warranty, but the frustrating thing is... none of the straps they sent me lasted a warranty-like time.
    I have been told it will cost 50 euros to send me another strap, but how long would that last???
    And what's the point if in six months I'll need a new strap - grrrrr.

The price is around 25 euros in the tomtom store for the new straps (less for an original spark). Where did the 50 euro pricecome from?
    https://www.tomtom.com/cs_cz/sports/accessories/straps/black-large/

I got 11 months of 24 hour usage from my first spark strap before it started to split. It was replaced under warranty without hassle which I'm thankful for. It does make me wonder though if the spark 3 straps are more or less durable than the spark 2 straps.
  • anguus24anguus24 Posts: 32 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Bocha wrote:

Besides the great idea (argento i guess) Its a shame from Tomtom release to the market such a poor product. Even with the warranty you have the watch for only one year!!!!!!!!!!

This is my last Tomtom product.
  • BochaBocha Posts: 11 [Master Explorer]
    anguus24 wrote:
    Bocha wrote:

Besides the great idea (argento i guess) Its a shame from Tomtom release to the market such a poor product. Even with the warranty you have the watch for only one year!!!!!!!!!!

This is my last Tomtom product.

Yes. 100% argento. I make 5 for my friends!.
    They prefer it over the original for comfort and firmness !. I'm waiting for TomTom deals :$
  • slevakslevak Posts: 3 [Novice Seeker]
  • mardybluemardyblue Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I bought a Runner 2 in September 2016. The strap lasted until April 2017 when I found this thread and called TomTom. They replaced no problem, accepting a fault with the strap. All good until January 2018 when I noticed the new strap had started to tear. Called up again and they are sending a replacement strap no questions asked. Obviously there is a problem with the strap, but the TomTom customer service I can't fault.
  • Gerry's GirlGerry's Girl Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The strap on my Tom Tom Spark Cardio & Music watch strap is beginning to split (this happened on the last Tom Tom watch I had- I bought a new strap last time but at the time it was sent to me, I was told I didn't need to purchase a new one as it should have been replaced for free- too late after I've paid for it :(
    I have tried to log into http://tomtom.com/support, which was suggested above but the serial number on my watch does not match any that are on that website- mine starts with HN. If I could get a contact email or phone number for Australia, I'm sure someone could help me.
  • bazzer007bazzer007 Posts: 21 [Outstanding Explorer]
    The strap on my Tom Tom Spark Cardio & Music watch strap is beginning to split (this happened on the last Tom Tom watch I had- I bought a new strap last time but at the time it was sent to me, I was told I didn't need to purchase a new one as it should have been replaced for free- too late after I've paid for it :(
    I have tried to log into http://tomtom.com/support, which was suggested above but the serial number on my watch does not match any that are on that website- mine starts with HN. If I could get a contact email or phone number for Australia, I'm sure someone could help me.
    I had the same issue. I just put HO and I will cross that bridge if/when I come to it.
  • RunToKeepSaneRunToKeepSane Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same problem for me. I'm on my third strap now. I purchased in Sept 2016 and this last until May 2017 when Tom Tom replaced it for me under warranty. the strap has just broken on me again in April 2018 and I have logged a request for replacement. Hopefully it won't take too long to replace.

The strap is not fit for purpose in my experience. the frequent requirement to charge now the watch is 18 months old means has to be remove from the strap leading to greater wear. the design issue has not been addressed so I fully expect to have this issue recur for the replacement too.
  • charl15charl15 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have a premium blue strap for my runner 2and had it just over a year. I agree that reinforcements need to be built around the most flexible areas ie, around the face on the strap and button area as that is where mine has come away from the case from the soft rubber part. What I don't like and frustrates me no end is I paid 30 quid for it! Tomtom need to pay attention to customers and do a trial themselves before they market such bands at £30