Thoughts on the new TomTom Go 6200 & 5200? - Page 4 — TomTom Community

Thoughts on the new TomTom Go 6200 & 5200?

124»

Comments

• obaeyensobaeyens Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Something else. When I first fired up the 6200 I had massive Wifi connect issues, and updates that failed. One time I lost all my maps and it complained that it can't proceed unless I selected a map. but the maps-list was empty!

It took many hours and reboots, and in the end suddenly showed a list of maps I could select. This type of code should never have been released professionally.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,210 Superusers
    Here's a link to the guide for that model, if you'd like:

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/gox20x/refman/TomTom-GO-EU-RG-en-gb.pdf
    I looked through that pdf file but I see no reference to "hide My locations" on the map.

To see the problem:

* Add 10 locations in one big city like Amsterdam. Some locations near a ring, others in the center.
    * Choose big text fonts
    * Now go to 2D and zoom out so you can see Amsterdam in one 2D overview

All these location icons (POI's) block vital traffic information in the general 2D chart.

From driving point of view these POI's have no value or interest. All I need to see is the road it selected, so I can have a decision to go left around the city right around the city or go through the center.

And in a lot of case I don't even need a road selected, just a sense where the traffic jams are, to decide what road I am going to take. I don't not know yet how the GO 6200 operates but the Go 1005 tended to choose a route that will always guaranteed me to get into the worst traffic jam in recorded history. And the reason is that it decide based on the current situation, not how the traffic will be in 30 minutes form now when I get closer. By the time I get closer, the traffic changed and the original route is driving me into a disaster area. The it forces me to turn 180 degree and go back the same route because it has another route ending in yet another traffic jam.

The 2D map is vital for me because I have human experience and I know that that tiny traffic that does not pose an issue yet will become a big issue because it is 07h30 and raining so traffic will only increase.
    In the evening I cal also notice how the traffic changes, and I can predict from experience that that traffic jam will be reduced by the time I get there because it is 18h15 and I will reach that location at 18h45 because the rain is stopping.
  • hairdoghairdog Posts: 38 [Master Explorer]
    Ok TomTom. How about making a mount that supports the 6200. Just like my 6100 the mount cannot hold the tomtom. It routates downwards and you constantly adjusting the device so the screen is facing you. I replaced my mount 2 times on 6100 and refuse do same. So now I have to position mount close to dashboard with a sponge applicator under the cradle so it prevents the tomtom from rotating down. Very poor Tom tom
    A request for the 6200.

All the cities around me become low emission zones (Germany, France, Belgium). But my car is too old. So TomTom will send me through a low emission zone when I am on a trip risking a fine.

A few years ago my 1005 sent me through a low emission zone in a small German city. There was no way to tell my TomTom to take different route around that low emission zone.

The point I want to make is that I and probably most tourists will have to rely on the TomTom to tell them where the low emission zones will be and take a tour around them. If TomTom can't do that then the TomTom becomes useless in the next year or so.

Technically they are toll zones. If I could paint the zones I want to avoid myself and get community updates then that would be very helpful.
  • Zsolt KocsisZsolt Kocsis Posts: 51 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    On forum "GO 5xxx-6xxx series / GO 4xx-6xx series / GO, Via and Start 4x-6x series (MyDrive Connect)

There is subject "Three years on and still no support of POI categories on map Whilst Driving" i.e.This is about custom POI's and the ability to see POI's on the map whilst driving.

Does this problem exist on these new wifi tomtoms?
  • peppertravelpeppertravel Posts: 11 [Apprentice Traveler]
    hairdog wrote:
    Ok TomTom. How about making a mount that supports the 6200. Just like my 6100 the mount cannot hold the tomtom. It routates downwards and you constantly adjusting the device so the screen is facing you. I replaced my mount 2 times on 6100 and refuse do same. So now I have to position mount close to dashboard with a sponge applicator under the cradle so it prevents the tomtom from rotating down. Very poor Tom tom

This is clearly a design flaw which tomtom refuses to acknowledge. Their solution of replacing the mount until manufacturer warranty or your consumer rights runs out is a band-aid solution and a piss poor one for a reputable company like tomtom.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi hairdog,

I'm sorry to hear of your problem with the mount!

Please, report it to Customer Service. That's the best way to get the information to our Quality team. They inspect all returns and will be able to take appropriate action.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Zsolt KocsisZsolt Kocsis Posts: 51 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    hairdog wrote:

I had similar experience middle of last year with similar unit, customer service arranged replacement by tomtom under warranty, but now I am out of warranty! So have kept the replacement as a spare, and with the another "super glued" the ball to stop the tomtom unit continually sagging, and screen going out of sight. Has worked so far, but of course is no longer adjustable.
  • hairdoghairdog Posts: 38 [Master Explorer]
    I have twice with my 6100. I solved my 6200 for now by seperating the cradle from mount. Cut a rectangle non slip rubber that's about 1mm thick and place it over the cradle ball joint slot. Force ball joint and rubber into slot. Takes some effort. So far so good
  • bigbig Posts: 1,574 Superuser
    ... the ability to see POI's on the map whilst driving.

Does this problem exist on these new wifi tomtoms?
    Yes, it's basically the same software for both models. Per TomTom an update is planned this year.
  • BullockyBullocky Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I live in Australia and bought the GO 5200 today, because of the built-in SIM card. Now you tell me it will not work! How is it possible that the newest TomTom requires the 2g network which has just been switched off?
  • Smudge52Smudge52 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Had Go5200 for a few months now. Just got back from Spain and generally happy with performance. However did have one extremely frustrating occasion when after putting co ordinates in and pressing DRIVE it took me off down the road in a 5 mile circle before bringing me back to where I started and then putting me on the correct road which I had passed just after setting off. What a waste of time and fuel!

• LegionariusLegionarius Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Smudge, I had exactly the same problem in Spain on a number of occasions. I've been there for the past 5 months and it would take me round in a circle round and round on various occasions. Quite often we had to physically use the map and press a dot at the location of where we wanted to go rather than type an address as it simply got things wrong time and time again.
    Valencia airport is a good example, enter that and it will take you to the middle of a road about ten minutes drive from the airport and say you have arrived at your destination.
    It really does struggle, in the worst case we drove to a small city and it ended up taking us to a town about 30 minutes away, but along the way, it also managed to to the whole driving round in a circle routine a few times until we physically set the co-ordinates via the map, rather than address.
    I also find it cant seem to find addresses and locations easily, additionally they have not taken into account regional dialects. For example in parts of Spain where Castillian Spanish is spoken, they use the word Calle for street, but in Valenciano they use the word Carrer street and the name . Quite often you enter Carrer in and it wont find anything.
    Overall very disappointed with the device and looking to purchase an alternative from another manufacturer. My ten year old tomtom was much better!
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,411 Superusers
    Hi
    Welcome to the site.....
    To search for a Tomtom Preinstalled POI Category i/e Airports
    (.... Menu) -> Search
    Type in Airport -> Airport appears at the top of the right-hand list
    Tap the offered "Airport"
    The search area turns blue with a flashing cursor... Type "valencia"
    Tap on the offered "VLC Aeroport de Valencia"
    Tap Drive.....

GO User Manual.....
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/gox20x/index.htm
    List of Preinstalled POI Categories PAGE 49.....

fcd5b30c-860e-46fa-b8dd-c68eb91b3e11.jpgATB YFM
    Hi
    Coordinates.....
    Tap on the four dot Icon (....) (Bottom left screen)
    Tap Search Icon
    Tap (Top right on screen) Tap Whole map Note…… On some units (I think) it says Installed Maps
    Scroll down
    Tap Latitude Longitude Icon

By the way... When the device has a "GPS Satellite lock"
    The Latitude and Longitude shown on the screen as an example is.....
    Live for your location

When inputting coordinates using DMS format, you can't enter seconds as a decimal point : Example N 50° 31' 10.62'' W 4° 1' 55.95''
    But If you simply round up or down the second's entry in the example
    I.e... The North decimal point to 11" and the West decimal point to 56"
    It gives B3212 Sampford Spiney UK
    If you tap the offered Sampford Spiney UK
    The Map will open at the location
    Tap the blue "Drive Steering Wheel" icon to drive there
    Or
    Tap the 3Dot Icon and the Quick Menu will open with more options ie...
    "Add to MyPlaces"
    "Use as a starting Point"
    "Search Near Here"
    Note... If you already have a route planned and want to add a coordinate location to the route, the 3Dot Icon Quick Menu will have an extra option...
    "Add to Route"

Also.....
    Example inputting coordinates using GPS format, for example, If you enter N 52 23.488 W 2 12.501 it's a field in Worcestershire UK
    In the text, the New GO range will display the coordinate location and underneath, offer the nearest road location as a destination, in this case, an (Unnamed location) Hurcott UK

021fa32a-9e95-483a-a598-114e5cae63e8.jpg(1)... Tapping the Black Pendant Icon opens the "(Unnamed location) Hurcott UK" Tap the blue "Drive Steering Wheel" icon to drive there
    Or
    Tap the 3Dot Quick menu for more options... See the above "Sampford Spiney" example for more info

(2)... Tapping the Globe coordinate Icon only zooms the map into the Globe Icon (Tapping the Globe Icon on the Map does nothing)... Pinch zoom the map down until the Black Pendant Icon is in view... Go to bullet point (1)...

If you Tap the dual function Icon
    ba5c0556-a21a-44cc-ba5a-9326bb70c225.jpg You can toggle between a Map and List view or tap the Keyboard Icon to return to the Coordinates menu screen

If you pinch-zoom the map screen, it will show the coordinate location on the Map

The GO will give you the coordinate location and will show it on the map, but can only plan a route to the nearest road access point

GO User Manual.....
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/gox20x/index.htm
    Using Coordinates PAGE 63.....

ATB YFM
  • missmousemissmouse Posts: 10 [Master Explorer]
    Have a G05200 & find it so frustrating! If I spend ages setting a route for my holiday in France it then reverts to telling me how to drive from my home in Scotland! Better off just using my phone I think! Far too complicated! You need a really simple device when driving so you can concentrate of the road!
    Hi
    I assume you are using the Tomtom MyDrive (Web) Route planner?
    Did you use "Send to the device" option?
    It's best to use the "Save" option

Depending if you have chosen a Route Or a Track from MyRoutes
    Load and Calculate your Route/Track
    Then.....
    For a Route... From the Main Screen Tap (....) -> Current Route -> Drive to Route
    For a Track.... From the Main Screen Tap (....) -> Current Track -> Drive to Track

ATB YFM
  • missmousemissmouse Posts: 10 [Master Explorer]
    Im using the "search" button & entering the place names I want to go from & to. Where is the save option?
    Another person on this forum says the thing has been designed only to show directions from where you are!
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Hi
    I assume you are using the Tomtom MyDrive (Web) Route planner?
    Did you use "Send to the device" option?

For 'A' to 'B' routes where 'A' is not your present location
    It's best to use the "Save" or the 'Save & Sync' option
    The 'Save' or the 'Save & Sync' option is from the Tomtom MyDrive (Web) Route planner.....
    See... https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb

ATB YFM
  • sxleysxley Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Agree. The 6200 is fraught with problems that shows TomTom's inept technical appraisal prior to roll out. I use my device for work (private hire taxi) and throughout the day I reboot several times. And don't even get me started on the woeful voice command functionality. Daily frustration is forcing me to seriously rethink the 6200 and move over to Garmin.
  • GarfieldusGarfieldus Posts: 35 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Am/was about to buy a go 6200 and came across this thread :(

Have things improved? Is customer beta testing over?

Posting this on Friday 19th January 2018 (this forum doesn't show exact post date).
  • bigbig Posts: 1,574 Superuser
    Hi Garieldus,

If you're on a desktop, hovering over the relative date show will show you the exact date.

The 6200 slowly improves, There hasn't been an update for a while so many of us are hoping to see improvements and fixes soon. Definitely, more work needs to be done, but many people -- definitely not everyone -- are quite pleased with it.
  • PlazmanianPlazmanian Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I bought a 5100 Brand New 2 years ago, and found it to be the slowest of all my TomTom devices owned, Flagship :-) No such thing, Resistive touch is so out of date, yet fitted on my Flagship model... I had to contact tech support because my brand new sealed unit was already registered to someone else in Canada, I was unable to buy the voice for it on my account because it said I was registered in a different country, meaning a reset didn't work, it lost all my POI's and I was left creating a new account, and after reboot after reboot because the device just crashed, I decided to sell on for chump change... I won't ever buy another Tomtom product because of that, and my V1 Rider was far superior in every way to the 5100. Tomtom I use to think were the business, guess I am going elsewhere now, most likely to Garmin.
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 631 Superuser
    Plazmanian wrote: »
    I bought a 5100 Brand New 2 years ago, and found it to be the slowest of all my TomTom devices owned, Flagship :-) No such thing, Resistive touch is so out of date, yet fitted on my Flagship model... I had to contact tech support because my brand new sealed unit was already registered to someone else in Canada
    In which case your issue should be with the retailer, not TomTom. The fact your unit had already been registered elsewhere should have set the initial alarm bells ringing, however the resistive screen would be the slam-dunk for me.

The 5100 has only ever had a capacitive screen.

Unfortunately, the device being supplied to you as a sealed unit is no proof that it's a genuine unmodified device direct from TomTom. If you gave me a few minutes with some shrink-wrap plastic and a hairdryer, I could probably get any boxed TomTom looking brand new.

Who did you buy it from?