Wireless charging when using GO Mobile App — TomTom Community

Wireless charging when using GO Mobile App

3enwatkins3enwatkins Posts: 39 [Apprentice Traveler]
Is anyone using a wireless charger in their car? If so, are you able to actually charge your device's battery whilst TomTom is running? Or at least stop it discharging?

I tried years ago to use a Qi charger in the car but it provided nowhere near the charge current needed. The battery would run down - albeit more slowly than normal. I've heard that wireless charging has improved but I don't want to go out and buy a new phone with wireless charging if it still doesn't do the job.

Comments

• 3enwatkins3enwatkins Posts: 39 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I guess that's a no then?!
  • lneamlneam Posts: 53 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    I am using from summer 2014, my Samsung S3 with wireless charger. Unfortunately this after-market charging system can't supply over 550mA. When the micro controller inside the smartphone reach the battery voltage over 96%, then reduce the charging current lower of 100mA.

TomTom Go is the most energy hungry application I have seen into my device, over 30% / hour. So with 2100mA battery into my devise, the result is >600 mA /hour. With this power consumption it's impossible to finish the battery charge.

I have also test some other navigation programs with lower power consumption - less than 20% / hour. Don't except when navigation programs consume current over 250mA to terminate battery charge. You will see battery charge over 90% and that's all.
  • 3enwatkins3enwatkins Posts: 39 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This is really helpful, thank you. It sounds like much the same experience I had before. Also the experience I have using a normal or cheap Chinese USB power supply.

I have learned that there is a new faster wireless charging solution available now, mostly only on the latest Samsung phones. It seems the only way to find out is to buy one and try it.
  • lneamlneam Posts: 53 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Samsung has "fast wireless charger" with 5V/2A, good but old tech.

LG has 5V/3A, better but no real product into the market so far
    http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_innotek_announces_a_15w_wireless_charger-blog-21026.php

For me find a smartphone using ONLY this "Qualcomm WiPower"
    Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 has this technology. I hope soon someone accept this wireless charging
    https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/835
  • NukeThemAllNukeThemAll Posts: 52 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I bought a MoKo 3-Coil Qi Wireless Charging Cradle from a well-known online shop. This will charge my Nexus 6 even when using both TT GO and the excellent PGPSW Camera Alert: however the charge rate is low(ish) but nonetheless will charge or at very least keep the battery level constant. The main problem I had was with DAB interference (see my review on the online shop site) which was solved by changing to another 12V to 5V adapter ie the item that fits into the car cigar lighter.
  • peterbeestonpeterbeeston Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I also tried this with my Nexus 7, but the wireless charger only extended the amount of time it took the phone to discharge, the screen takes so much power.
    Even a 2.2 amp car usb charger failed to keep up.
    The only way I could charge the phone was to use a QuickCharge 2 compatible charger.
    I have now changed my phone for a Galaxy S7, which is also QuickCharge 2 compatible, and again this will charge the phone whilst TomTom is on full screen.
  • NukeThemAllNukeThemAll Posts: 52 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    That Nexus 7 must be a power-hungry beast! When I was using a USB 2.2A charger on my Nexus 6, my phone would charge up pretty damn quick even when using TT GO and with the screen set quite bright. Recent app and OS updates seem to have helped a bit, but that won't be universally true.