New GO Mobile for iPhone v1.6 available for download — TomTom Community

New GO Mobile for iPhone v1.6 available for download

MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
HI all,

We've just released a new v1.6 of the GO Mobile for iPhone and it's available for download in the iTunes AppStore.

[h3]What's new?[/h3]
  • Smaller European maps: We have divided the big map of Europe in three new regions: North, Central and South. These new maps take up less space and let you drive cross-border within Europe.
  • Report Speed Cameras: Report speed cameras directly from the map with a single tap using the new report button.
  • Mark Current Location: Tap the location symbol to mark your current location and save it in My Places.
  • Navigate to Photo: Navigate to the location of your geotagged photos from My Places, and revisit a memory. Check your camera settings to make sure geo-tagging is switched on.
  • Return to app: Easily return to the app when receiving a call. Make sure you have "Run in Background" switched on and accept the prompt for notifications.

Drive safe! :D

Cheers, Mikko

Comments

• Pies82Pies82 Posts: 21 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Mikko, thanks for this. Is there still no way of avoiding part of a route or redirecting?! I also assume no fix for the GPS lag, which far more than being poor, is extremely dangerous. These are both key, and I cannot imagine hard to fix. When will they be done?

Have the powers at TomTom decided to ditch sat nav and concentrate on wearable tech because they cannot compete with google maps? It feels that way with these updates, which are painfully slow and not remotely up to standard.

Don't mean to shoot the messenger, but your thoughts would be much appreciated - why add such secondary options when such vital cogs are missing?! It is bizarre. Cheers.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Pies,

Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately, avoid part of route and alternative routes were not part of this release, but they're on the road map.

Regarding your GPS issue, I'm not aware of a larger issue matching your description. I'd recommend you to make sure you have Location services enabled on your phone and also check if you have similar issues with other apps. GO Mobile, just like other apps, uses the location services of your phone to locate you.

Should this not help you solve the issue, please contact Customer Service for further investigation.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi Mikko, thanks for the quick reply - much appreciated. The GPS issue is mentioned all over reviews of the previous version - just have a look at them. Maybe one in three or four reviews mentioned it? it isn't just me and it isn't solvable with stuff like location services/switch the phone on and off/reload the app etc. Google maps works fine, apple maps works fine and navigon works fine. I'm afraid it is the app - could you let your customer services team know please? I can't believe they aren't aware of it given how many reviews mention it....which either means they don't care, or they don't read the reviews. Neither are a great reflection!!
    Cheers, pies
    Hi Pies,

I'll report this to the product team. Could you also tell the iPhone model and iOS version you have, please?

Thanks, Mikko
  • gfsymongfsymon Posts: 59 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Very happy to see smaller European maps to help us get across borders. It's been fairly farcical having to plan a route via Apple Maps, then try to figure out on TomTom's map precisely where a border crossing is (ensuring you get the correct side of the road as well!!!) then drive to that, switch maps at the border, then plan the route again from there ... all the while suffering an annoying failure of TomTom to provide accurate traffic data once the switch has taken place, with notably speed camera warning failing to appear without a restart of the phone!! Sigh.

Anyway ... cross-border. Amazing. What a relief. Trouble is, the 3gb map, requires >6gb to install and I just can't clear that much on my perfectly otherwise reasonable 16gb iPhone.

So it seems to me that TomTom have to find another way to work this. An obvious and simple way might be to allow major roads to extend beyond the edges of the maps. How hard would that be? Or better still, allow separate maps to 'talk' to each other. I guess that may be a big deal though.

Either way ... much as I'd like to have the new 'smaller' maps I still can't get them on (even though iTunes claims I have enough free space ... the iPhone itself doesn't agree, but I guess that's Apple's bug and not TomTom's)
  • RolandHRolandH Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Questions:
    1) cross-border between alle the maps or only the three new ones?
    2) If I remove my current map of Europe to replace it with the smaller one, do I lose my current places (Mijn Plaatsen)?
    3) The roadmap is more than 9 months old and hardly any mayor issues are covered, like alternative routes and waypoints (available in the previous version and in the android version). When are they expected? Due to the increased number of traffic congestions the speed of switching to a new route is to slow (I've submitted a supportcall and the answer was that only after 5 minutes a new route is calculated). So make it faster or offer manual triggerded alternative routes. I expected it to be solved in this version 1.6 (where was 1.5?) but am disapointed.
    Hi Mikko, many thanks - I have an iPhone 6 Plus running the latest IOS (10.2). The lag has always been an issue and for what it's worth I know folk with iPhone 7 who have the same problem....thanks for your help, and I hope it can be resolved as it is genuinely very dangerous. Never had the problem with Western Europe. Cheers.
  • ThroySThroyS Posts: 50 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I've lost my total hope in this app now utter useless. Just took me off the main road and just looking at me to say he doesn't know what to do.
    GPs lags still there even on my iPhone 7 plus.
    The community is not getting what they asking for and it's just basic bottom line features which should have been implemented from day one. For eg (route options)
    I want my money back now. Im still paying £2.50 a month to use the traffic information on the old map.

• PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 333 [Supreme Pioneer]
    RolandH wrote:
    Questions:
    1) cross-border between alle the maps or only the three new ones?
    2) If I remove my current map of Europe to replace it with the smaller one, do I lose my current places (Mijn Plaatsen)?.
    Yes, I'd like to know answers to those two questions as well!

I would prefer to still have an option for the whole of Europe in one map.

If TomTom wants to reduce map size then please offer 3D and non-3D map versions of all maps.

For SatNav 3D maps are unnecessary.

Thanks,
  • ProustGiulioProustGiulio Posts: 7 [Legendary Explorer]
    You still can download the whole of Europe in one map.
    Check among the new maps, and simply choose "Europe".
    It will be a long download 6.7GB, but....
  • berrrtieberrrtie Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    Another disappointing update.

Useless features added (navigate to photo)

Vital functions that were promised from the start are still missing

1) Alternate routes
    2) Avoid roadblock

I also still suffer with the GPS lag mentioned above and previously.
    (iPhone 6 / 10.2)
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback regarding the latest release!

The smaller Europe map cuts were released to enable you to install a smaller map for your navigation needs when you don't need the whole Europe map - which is of course still available. As before, you can navigate seamlessly through the region of the map installed on your app.

My Places stay on the app even if you remove all maps so you can indeed remove the Europe map first before installing one of the smaller cuts without loosing your My Places :D

I've flagged the GPS lag issue with the product team and will update them with your feedback. If anyone else is having this issue, please open a new topic about it so that others can easier find it and post their comments. That also makes it easier for us to monitor the situation as well as keep you updated about it.

Thanks, Mikko
    Mikko,

I can't install these new apps, because I can't free up enough space on my 16Gb iPhone. Is this a bug, or can you otherwise explain why these new maps require so much more free space?

(NB. A 16Gb iPhone actually only has 12Gb of free space available for user installs and data)

Old (existing) maps:

Space required for install = 1.2 x map-size

1/ Europe
    Map Size = 6.87Gb
    Free Space Required for install = 8.31Gb

2/ Western Europe
    Map Size = 5.48Gb
    Free Space Required for install = 6.56Gb

New Maps:

Space required for install = 2 x map-size

1/ Central Europe :
    Map Size = 3.82Gb
    Free Space Required for install = 7.64Gb

2/ Northern Europe
    Map Size = 2.44Gb
    Free Space Required for install = 4.89Gb

3/ Southern Europe
    Map Size = 3.02Gb
    Free Space Required for install = 6.06Gb

As you can see, the new 'smaller' Central Europe map, actually requires MORE free space to install, than the existing and already absurdly large Western Europe map.

TomTom gives with one hand and takes away with the other ... terrific.

Explanation?
  • loekfloekf Posts: 28 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I think there's a bug with traffic information using this latest version.

After I arrive on a destination and use the app later again (happened to me twice now) it shows where the delays are, but is not taken into account for the overall route. So you don't see the total delay and the estimated arrival time with that delay.

Solution is to kill the app and start again. Then the delays are taken into account.

Oh and btw, there is still no TomTom MyDrive support. Very disappointing. So Myplaces are still not back-upped and sync'ed with your MyDrive account.

I can appreciate the Photos feature, so geotagging info is used for navigation.

However... try to speed up the development cycle !!!!!!!!!!

1) TomTom MyDrive support. Saves lots of frustrations when you migrate to a new PND/phone/want to check stuff online in a browser.
    2) Route avoidance
    3) Ability to add stops along a route. Via a workaround it's possible to have one stop, but it's not easy to figure out.
    4) Beter way to get a prompt for a faster route. In the car it's sometimes a play of hit and miss to figure out a faster route.
    5) Better BT support. Check what Google is doing (already mentioned before).
    6) Siri integration ?
    7) Entering text via dictation (maybe it's possible ?)
    8) More POIs visible along a route, now you're only getting parking places, gas stations and speedcams (e.g. allow max. 2 or 3, but more flexible, more options).
    9) Estimate of toll to be paid on a route.
    Hi gfsymon,

Please, report this to Customer Service for further investigation.

Cheers, Mikko
    Thanks Mikko.

Isn't this forum a means of doing that? Are you not a TomTom employee? I thought that was the point of these forums. They are after all, listed under 'Support' on the TomTom website.

Apparently mistaken ... how do I report to Customer Service? Which 'Service' should I contact for iOS Go issues?
  • Dima KozakDima Kozak Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    Hi, Mikko

In the application I see the price for 1 year $19.99
    But when you pay with a debit account wants $39.98
    Why?
    Hi gfsymon,

This is a user forum with the main purpose of offering users the opportunity to ask and answer questions about TomTom products and services. While the forum Staff monitors the forum, logs feedback and communicates about e.g. releases and current issues, we can't do extensive troubleshooting here. That's what Customer Service is for. There's a Contact us link in the bottom of this page you can use to get in touch with Customer Service.

Cheers, Mikko
  • CharborsboomCharborsboom Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi,

Ik just installed tomtom go on my iphone / ipad. While using it for over a year on my android phone without any problems, i found it a bit confusing here on the ios platforms. I use mydrive to set my poi's on my desktop and synchronize with my android phone without problems. Now with the ios devices not only my poims are empty but also not a single contact is in my list.

What's my problem?

Thanks in advance.
    Charles
  • JME74JME74 Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    The new map "Midden-Europa" won't install on my phone (iPhone 5, iOS 10.2). Other maps (including larger ones) do install without issues - other than slowness - but "Midden-Europa" gets stuck at 90-95% (often exactly at 90.7%, sometimes 95.5%). After reaching that percentage sometimes the phone just freezes, other times it restarts and then tries to continue from 90.7%. In which it doesn't succeed, so it freezes/restarts again. Is there a problem with this specific map and if so, can you please fix it?

One other thing: my first navigation device, a decade old Mio, had separate country maps plus one "main roads" map covering the whole of Europe. These maps could be used together to navigate across borders. What has changed in the last decade making this now impossible for a market leader like Tomtom? No offense, just curious...
    For those that are curious ... a reply from support, in which you may note that updates are only 2 per year, which means we will have to wait 6 months for anything else to be added to Go for iOS. Not very impressive.

As for my question about the disparity in required install space between the original Europe maps and these new ones ... great support ... no reply.

Support reply:

"I understand that you are finding difficulties in downloading maps on your TomTom GO Mobile app for iPhone, due to insufficient space issue.

I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused to you. Please be assured, I will definitely help you regarding this issue.

I would like to inform you that the issue you are facing because we've compressed the map size, but installation process still require more of memory sapce, generally the installation process needs double memory of the actual size of the map. I would suggest you to delete some apps from your iPhone and download the required map (s). After downloading the map, you can reinstall all the deleted app.

If you don't want to remove any map from your iPhone, then I would suggest you to download the regional map (eg: UK & Ireland, France, Itlay etc.). As regional map needs very less space and it will also save your time and data.

However, I can understand your concern, thus I will pass your feedback to the product development team and we may reduce the installation size also in the future application update.

The new GO mobile app is getting half yearly software updates including new features. We actively gather customer feedback to provide to our developers for inclusion in the updates, so stay tuned!
    Again, we do apologise for the inconvenience caused. If you should have any more questions or require further assistance, please feel free to contact us by replying to this email."
  • IGIIGI Posts: 141 [Outstanding Explorer]
    gfsymon wrote:
    For those that are curious ... a reply from support, in which you may note that updates are only 2 per year, which means we will have to wait 6 months for anything else to be added to Go for iOS. Not very impressive.

As for my question about the disparity in required install space between the original Europe maps and these new ones ... great support ... no reply.

Support reply:

"I understand that you are finding difficulties in downloading maps on your TomTom GO Mobile app for iPhone, due to insufficient space issue.

I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused to you. Please be assured, I will definitely help you regarding this issue.

I would like to inform you that the issue you are facing because we've compressed the map size, but installation process still require more of memory sapce, generally the installation process needs double memory of the actual size of the map. I would suggest you to delete some apps from your iPhone and download the required map (s). After downloading the map, you can reinstall all the deleted app.

If you don't want to remove any map from your iPhone, then I would suggest you to download the regional map (eg: UK & Ireland, France, Itlay etc.). As regional map needs very less space and it will also save your time and data.

However, I can understand your concern, thus I will pass your feedback to the product development team and we may reduce the installation size also in the future application update.

The new GO mobile app is getting half yearly software updates including new features. We actively gather customer feedback to provide to our developers for inclusion in the updates, so stay tuned!
    Again, we do apologise for the inconvenience caused. If you should have any more questions or require further assistance, please feel free to contact us by replying to this email."

MikkoK, you see man?

A man gave exact calculations that prior to this update, free space required for map installation was: 1.2x the map size, and now it needs 2x the map size, and was asking what is the reason.

And the support just rephrased his question and delivered it as an answer. "Map installation needs more space, get out, bye."

That's why we prefer your answers than some regular helpdesk worker answers.
  • IGIIGI Posts: 141 [Outstanding Explorer]
    MikkoK wrote:
    Navigate to Photo: Navigate to the location of your geotagged photos from My Places, and revisit a memory. Check your camera settings to make sure geo-tagging is switched on.

Sygic has had it for about a year now.

You're their map supplier but you must admit, their apps are often superior.
  • ThroySThroyS Posts: 50 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Half yearly updates wth
  • chrisnewboldchrisnewbold Posts: 10 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Would just like to add a few comments, as it is a disappointing update.

I generally like the app enough to have switched over to it now. But...

GPS lag is an issue and needs fixing. It caused me a major issue last week when I missed a turn.

Ability to force rerouting to fastest route. App is very slow to suggest alternatives.

Reorganise my places.

Siri integration.

Chris
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online33

DougLap
DougLap
drenine
drenine
Elchdoktor
Elchdoktor
Oberyn Martell