Skin reaction from metallic sensor — TomTom Community

Skin reaction from metallic sensor

CyberherbalistCyberherbalist Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Touch
I got my Touch for Christmas, and immediately set it up and started wearing it. It has been working very well, and I am pleased with it, except that I've run into a problem. The place where the metallic sensor touches my skin has become quite irritated, and is starting to break out. This isn't from the strap, which isn't causing a problem. The spot where the sensor is touching my skin has a circular irritation pattern, and I'm clearly allergic to whatever material it's made of.

This may make it difficult or inadvisable to use the Touch. For the record, I have a similar (but not identical problem) with rings -- the only kind of ring that I can wear (e.g. wedding ring) is one made of silver. I suspect that I have a skin allergy to copper, which is commonly used to strengthen gold metal, and copper is likely to be used for electrical items, for sake of electrical conductivity.

My question is, if I cover the metallic sensor with a bit of tape, so it doesn't directly contact my skin, will this impair the operation of the Touch?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,475
    Superusers
    I got my Touch for Christmas, and immediately set it up and started wearing it. It has been working very well, and I am pleased with it, except that I've run into a problem. The place where the metallic sensor touches my skin has become quite irritated, and is starting to break out. This isn't from the strap, which isn't causing a problem. The spot where the sensor is touching my skin has a circular irritation pattern, and I'm clearly allergic to whatever material it's made of.

This may make it difficult or inadvisable to use the Touch. For the record, I have a similar (but not identical problem) with rings -- the only kind of ring that I can wear (e.g. wedding ring) is one made of silver. I suspect that I have a skin allergy to copper, which is commonly used to strengthen gold metal, and copper is likely to be used for electrical items, for sake of electrical conductivity.

My question is, if I cover the metallic sensor with a bit of tape, so it doesn't directly contact my skin, will this impair the operation of the Touch?

You will still get HR data and activity tracking but will not be able to use the body fat measurement, as that is what the electrical contacts are for. You could simply untape them the one time a day you take the body fat measurement and then tape it back up again when done.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • CyberherbalistCyberherbalist Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Great, I was hoping that masking the contacts would be a solution to the problem! For the fun of it, and in case TomTom engineers happen upon this and want to see the evidence, I've uploaded an image of my wrist showing the skin reaction.

e1debfa8-a2b3-4c62-a0b4-3baca61fbcfd.png
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,475
    Superusers
    Great, I was hoping that masking the contacts would be a solution to the problem! For the fun of it, and in case TomTom engineers happen upon this and want to see the evidence, I've uploaded an image of my wrist showing the skin reaction.

e1debfa8-a2b3-4c62-a0b4-3baca61fbcfd.png

You would definitely appear to be allergic to something in the metal of the sensor! Hopefully masking it off will work for you. Otherwise you may have to look at a different device.
  • toeknee10toeknee10 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I also have the TomTom Spark and after a few months of wearing I have developed a red rash on my wrist. It is right where the metal connectors touch the skin. I do not wear my watch 24/7. Just when I run and walk. I use it for the mp3 feature.
    And yes I take off daily and clean it. I have not wore it in 2 weeks and the picture was taken today. It has gone down a bit but very slowly and is itchy!
    P.S.. Never had this issue with my Garmin Forerunner.