Map updates withdrawn for older models — TomTom Community

Map updates withdrawn for older models

DarklifeDarklife Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
I am the only one who is disgusted by TomToms' decision to withdraw map updates for older models. TomTom claim this is because the internal memory of older models is no longer sufficient to hold the newest maps which have grown considerably in size. My model, however, (One 2nd Edition) has a removable memory card that I can easily replace with a larger capacity card with memory way in excess of the internal storage in the most up to date model. Just another sad example of the policy of 'built-in obsolescence' pursued by large companies.

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Darklife,

Welcome to the Community!

I do understand your disappointment and this is not a decision we've taken lightly. Let me try and explain the rationale behind the decision a bit more.

With the increase in technology and range of products we have created, the company has made an executive decision to stop supporting products that will no longer run on our newest software. This has been a long and arduous undertaking that involved the weighing of many pros and cons. In the end, the decision was made to stop supporting some of our much older devices in order to allow our company to grow. We will respect the life of your device regarding any existing subscriptions.

In regards to purchasing maps and services, the benefit of many of our new products is that they come with lifetime map updates for Europe, and some for the world. Many also come with lifetime traffic and speed camera updates. In this way, you would not have to continually purchase those services year after year.

There are a number of devices which cannot use memory cards or are limited to the size of the memory card that they can use. Map files are growing in size very rapidly. It is to the point where they simply will not fit for a large number of devices. We chose to make the decision to continue to improve the quality of our maps, which involves the devices requiring more internal memory than some of our older devices can accommodate.

We do sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this has caused, but we do greatly value your business and have therefore created a special offer on several of our new devices, specifically for customers affected by this End of Life decision. Customer Service can tell you more about this offer. For a sneak peak into what our latest device have to offer, please see the following video:
    [video]

Cheers, Mikko
  • DarklifeDarklife Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Mikkok,

Thanks for the reply and well done in towing the party line. You state that support for older models has been withdrawn 'in order to allow our company to grow.' The only possible interpretation is that you have arbitrarily made older devices obsolete so owners will have to buy newer models. I would argue that the average customer understands 'end of life' to mean when the device stops working and NOT when the company who makes it decides to stop supporting it. I don't remember any suggestion on the original packaging of my SatNav that after an X amount of time it would no longer be supported. The advertising for your map updates also states 'Driving with an outdated map could greatly affect your journey ahead! Avoid unwanted surprises such as new speed limits and road changes by updating your map today.' Yet your email states 'Your trusted device will still work perfectly but you will no longer be able to buy any further map update.' Well forgive me but it can hardly be a 'trusted' device if according to TomTom its' maps should be updated regularly.

I'll see what Garmin have to offer.
  • joeukjoeuk Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    No you are not the only one, this to me feels like forcing customers to buy a new device but sorry this is my last one think I will just use google maps and guess what you have updates free of charge. I have never bought maps from TomTom for the reason of being so expensive esp when google give them for free, at the right price I would of bought. And please dont bother replying stating new device comes with free maps.
  • DarklifeDarklife Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    An excellent point, Joeuk. I have actually been using Sygic Sat Nav on my mobile phone for some time as it is always up to date and it uses Tom Tom maps. My wife, however, prefers the Tom Tom device because she is used to it and it is on her behalf that I posted these comments.
  • joeukjoeuk Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just looked at TomToms competitors and looks to be some good features esp voice activated, some places I have been too are not so easily spelt so this would be a bonus.
  • bobgarb10bobgarb10 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I've also used Tomtom, but will never buy a device from them again, only had it a couple of years! and now it's obsolete! I've got Sygic on my phone so might use that, but do prefer to use that! I'm also not that impressed with the route planning on tomtom, not always the best route, I get better routes from Google and would like to be able to update routes from google to tomtom but it's not easy! Fuming!!!
  • recallrecall Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I only got the email this morning stating that it would be withdrawing the updates from 15/11/16. Yay great one TomTom. shut my gate after the horse has bolted.
    Im sick of companies like yourselves and Apple etc obsoleteing models for nothing other than corporate greed.
    Why not give the consumer the choice if they want to run a map that may run slow on their device. I'll bet they would be more likely to purchase another TomTom device that way than having two fingers stuck up at them and simply being told tough.

The age old philosophy of if it aint broke dont try to fix it.

I.e. If I had a map update that makes it run slow ( and not on purpose either ) then the unit is then broke and id fix it with another.

As it stands now with the bad taste youve left in my mouth. its off to another manufacturer or smartphone.

Bye Bye TomTom
  • msun12000msun12000 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I was also planning to buy a newer TomTom model but in the light of this policy of broken promises for lifetime map updates, I will be looking elsewhere.
    bobgarb10 wrote:
    I've also used Tomtom, but will never buy a device from them again, only had it a couple of years! and now it's obsolete! I've got Sygic on my phone so might use that, but do prefer to use that! I'm also not that impressed with the route planning on tomtom, not always the best route, I get better routes from Google and would like to be able to update routes from google to tomtom but it's not easy! Fuming!!!
    The GO 50 you mention in your profile is from 2013 and not affected by the change in maps and service availability. This model comes with Lifetime Maps and TomTom Traffic.

The ONE XL on your TomTom account was manufactured over 9 years ago and, unfortunately, one of the affected models. You can find a full list of affected models here.
    msun12000 wrote:
    I was also planning to buy a newer TomTom model but in the light of this policy of broken promises for lifetime map updates, I will be looking elsewhere.
    I'm afraid there's been a misunderstanding at some point. Your device was manufactured in 2005 and we didn't offer Lifetime maps to any of our devices at that time.

Cheers, Mikko
  • bobgarb10bobgarb10 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I now realise that, you need to update your records! It was not until I looked into your message further down that I found that you still had me recorded as owning the XL, I'm not sure how that happened because my tomtom go 50 is registered on Mydrive connect.
  • bushieebushiee Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have a one xl but WONT be buying another TOMTOM. being forced into buying new sat nav when the one I have is as it was when I took it out the box. Disgusted.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,862 Superusers
    Hi
    TomTom FAQ wrote:
    Your trusted device will continue to function as it does now, but your map will become out-of-date and navigation will be less accurate.
    Quote above from.....
    Changes to maps and services updates for older devices
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22600

ATB YFM
  • OldFartPhilOldFartPhil Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I have a TOM TOM XXL and have purchased the final update for my device , this however will be the last time as I simply cannot afford to buy another device . I an extremely disappointed in the decision not to support my device anymore so in future when this update is no longer viable I will be using google maps on my phone , nice way to lose customers ......
  • alaskawolf2008_un34alaskawolf2008_un34 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    So, my question is why can we "claim your exclusive offer" to replace our obsolete TomTom products, but that offer is NOT available to people living outside the EU? I guess those of us living in the US, and other countries around the globe outside of the EU, are in essence unwanted customers?

Its a shame, my TomTom ONE has always been a super GPS unit, and despite its age, still performs better and is more reliable than many new devices today. The only real downside to TomTom until now has been how ridiculously slow TomTom was in updating their maps, even with major highway completions. A major Interstate Highway completion near me took them 2 years to update, that was pretty sad; Google Maps had the update in place the day it opened, even Apple, know for being slow, was faster on the draw at only 10 months. Oh well.
    Hi alaskawolf2008_un34,

Welcome to the Community!

To my knowledge the upgrade offer is - or will be - offered in all regions. There might be logistical reasons as to why the offer hasn't been sent to all customers yet. Customer Service can provide you more information regarding your region.

Cheers, Mikko
  • alaskawolf2008_un34alaskawolf2008_un34 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Well, the message is coming directly from a popup in the latest version of TomTom Home software. It is an "EXCLUSIVE REPLACEMENT OFFER*" that states "If you would like to consider replacing your GPS device, simply confirm your details below to claim your exclusive offer, today." Next is a box for "Email address" and a box for "Please select your location," there is also a discalimer at the bottom which states (in much smaller print) "Replacement offer not applicable in all countries." When you select the "Please select your location" pulldown you get a list of countries, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourgh, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom.

So Mikko I'm not real sure how else to interpret that. I do know that since the email from TomTom stating they would no longer provide map updates to my ONEa year ago, no one from TomTom has ever attempted to contact me with any offers.
  • PandaPanda Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I too am very disappointed that my device after a software update no longer receives traffic alerts or map updates. Why promised to be a lifetime product if TOMTOM are going to deliberately send a software update to stop this feature of the product. Where's the class action lawsuit? Sign me up... this is my 3rd and final device I will ever purchase with TOMTOM....
  • BasileuoBasileuo Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I too am absolutely disgusted with Tom Tom. The reasons given for not supporting are completely erroneous as they say older models do not have the memory, well I have checked my GO720 and currently (with latest map update for which I have a subscription still valid) the internal memory (which is 2GB) is ONLY being used by 200MB so there is nearly 1.8GB free, what are tom tom doing that is going to take up NINE times more memory. This is Bo**ocks and a crude attempt to make you buy a new Sat Nav!!

I only received this mail this morning, saying from January 2018, so was not aware until now, the question is how come they have given differing dates? How can the map subscription and cameras outstanding still be loaded, or are they taking money under false pretences?

If I buy new (which I doubt) it won't be Tom Tom, they have alienated a customer who has bought and paid for their services for years and, until now, always recommended them and argued for them against others on Forums.

Bad news!!!!
  • justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 389 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Totally agree it's grossly irresponsible of TT to handle this situation so damned poorly!
    See here too;- https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/news-and-announcements-37/end-of-life-for-tomtom-devices-with-2gb-internal-memory-1031975
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0