Need Running Cadence — TomTom Community

Need Running Cadence

bormiobormio Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
edited October 2019 in TomTom Adventurer
Hi-

Can the watch report running cadence in real time? Average cadence is reported on mysports.com, but it would be very useful to have in real time, even if smoothed a bit. It would also be nice to have cadence available in the plot at the bottom of the activities page.

Thanks,
Matt

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,572
    Superusers
    bormio wrote:
    Hi-

Can the watch report running cadence in real time? Average cadence is reported on mysports.com, but it would be very useful to have in real time, even if smoothed a bit. It would also be nice to have cadence available in the plot at the bottom of the activities page.

Thanks,
    Matt

It does not give cadence in real time, although i am not sure why not. It seems like it might be a simple calculation as it is already counting strides but often these algorithms are much more complex than they seem on the surface. It has been asked for before, but TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • bormiobormio Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Bummer, i'll have to return the watch if live running cadence isn't guaranteed. It's available on most other watches. Thanks for the info.
    Superusers
    bormio wrote:
    Bummer, i'll have to return the watch if live running cadence isn't guaranteed. It's available on most other watches. Thanks for the info.

It is in no way guaranteed, and in fact it hasn't even been hinted at. If this is a vital feature for you and you are within your return period you may want to look at other devices that offer this option now. I would not count on it coming, you need to make your decision based on the features that are currently offered, and not what may come in the future. Go into it with the assumption that what is in the box is all there is and it will never be updated, to save setting yourself up with false expectations.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • danlihdanlih Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    bormio wrote:

I agree with bormio, this is a functionality that you would expect from a watch in this price category. It should also be exported like the pace.
  • tectotecto Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I also agree with Bormio - Bummer that no live cadence. Pace display is so erratic and cadence would be really useful when let down by the pace value in woods or cities with high buildings. I'm planning to return my Spark 3 even though I will only get 75% of price back.
    Superusers
    That assumes that "live" cadence would be any better than "live" pace. You are still going to have the same issues with lag and smoothing.
  • tectotecto Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    That assumes that "live" cadence would be any better than "live" pace. You are still going to have the same issues with lag and smoothing.

Well I think it would be better - I assume cadence is based on the acceleration sensor and "live" pace on GPS. That's why pace is so unreliable in woods and city area with high-rise buildings. Anyway if you look at the cadence readings in the csv file, I so no reason why a continuous (and dampened) display would be as bad as the terrible pace reading. Plus why is it so easy for the alternative makers?
  • danlihdanlih Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    With all updates that’s is coming to the clock this function should not be a big deal to put in. As mentioned before other brands has this function!