TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

Map update for an old TomTom XXL classic

Enzo1469Enzo1469 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 31 in Map installation
Hello. From the last year I´m forced to skip map update because their dimension exceed the size of the internal memory: the proposed subsets Western Zone, Northern Zone and Southern Zone are not fitting with my current needs because I´m living in Germany, working in Luxembourg and I´m travelling in France and in Italy. So my question is : is it possible to customize the choice of the country maps to download ? For example : may I select from a grid of maps what I´m interested in ? Otherwise I will keep the old maps and I will renew the service only when I will buy a new TomTom.
Thank you and best regards.

Comments

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    No, it is not possible. Have a look at my signature, there is a link about EOL devices. Also the latest TT models come with 16GB internal storage, microSD slot and free maps (so no need to purchase update service).
  • CroftCroft Posts: 19 [Master Traveler]
    This is a rip off by TomTom who are too lazy to support existing devices.

December 2016 - Don't update your TomTom Home 2 with any updates as TomTom have decided to disable all these older models with their new Critical update. Once you install the update you wont get any further support for your device. including map updates, Itinerary planning - you wont be able to make a New Itinerary, Start Navigation, Operate my go. This is extremely disappointing that this company are walking away from so many worldwide TomTom devices because they cant be bothered looking after their customers with a few older models. Well my device was working fine until I downloaded this critical update and not it is useless just like your company.

Devices no longer supported from 15/11/2016:

GO 300 (M1) GO 730 (J3) ONE 125 (PA/PE/PH/PN/PV/PP)
    GO 500 (M3) GO 750 (W8) START (XA/XC)
    GO 510 / GO 710 (V5) GO CLASSIC (B1) XL 30 Series (RH/RO/RQ)
    GO 520 (M2/M4) Release Year 2007 ONE 1st Edition (G1/G2) XL IQ Routes ² / XL Classic (GG)
    GO 530 (J1/J2) ONE 2nd Edition (E1/Z1/Z2/Z3) GO 540 (WT)
    ONE 3rd Edition (Y1/Y3/Y5/Y8) GO 550 LIVE (W3) ONE XL (L2/L3/L4/L7/L9)
    GO 715 (M7) ONE XL HD TRAFFIC (F3)
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    Those devices are absolutely not disabled. You can use them just as you do normally, you just don't have the option to buy any new maps anymore (regardless of the TomTom HOME update or not, that just shows you some additional messages, but at the back end, the changes are done either way). Whilst I understand your issue, the fun fact is that when the updates were provided, people used to complain how expensive they are. Catch 22 :)
  • JulesmatJulesmat Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This is just ridiculous. The "reason" given is that the "internal memory" is too limited. WHAT a LOAD of nonsense; both the TT's I have use SD cards to store the maps etc on, and therefore have MORE than enough space to store future map updates, one has 2Gb and the other has 16Gb, PLUS if I was genuinely running out of space I can just buy a bigger SD card, something I have already done in the past - I could probably load all the maps for every region TomTom supply maps for and STILL have room on the larger device.

This is just a way to make people buy the latest devices, after spending 100's on the original purchases and more for the updates, despite the older devices still working just perfectly. They say as much in the "However, this may be the perfect opportunity to discover what our new range of navigation products has to offer you" comment. They have squeezed every penny they can from the older users and now it might cost them tuppence ha'penny to continue to support the older devices, they've decided thats too much like hard work. TomTom have gone right down in my estimation and I will no longer be recommending them to any future users.Plus their repair "service" like an industrial strength vacuum cleaner, took them FOUR attempts to try and fix a battery that wasn't holding charge - eventually I gave up and fixed it myself for a fiver, instead of the £100 they wanted to charge.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

A few more old device models have been added to the list Croft posted above. For the full list, please see here.

The memory size is indeed not the whole story but this has to do with generally out-dated technology and focusing on the current ones. With the increase in technology and range of products we have created, the company has made an executive decision to stop supporting products that will no longer run on our newest software. This has been a long and arduous undertaking that involved the weighing of many pros and cons. In the end, the decision was made to stop supporting some of our much older devices in order to allow our company to grow. We will respect the life of your device regarding any existing subscriptions.

In regards to purchasing maps and services, the benefit of many of our new products is that they come with lifetime map updates for Europe, and some for the world. Many also come with lifetime traffic and speed camera updates. In this way, you would not have to continually purchase those services year after year.

We do sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this has caused, but we do greatly value your business and have therefore created a special offer on several of our new devices, specifically for customers affected by this End of Life decision. Customer Service can provide more information about this offe.

Cheers, Mikko
  • jjrtoussaintjjrtoussaint Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This is the advise I got after an urgent fix that could not be installed, including the map update: scan your device - done, format your device, done, re-install the lastest software and map, not possible. Result? Up a creek ..., why not issue a warning that the new map is too big for the device and prevent installing. The device lies useless, as the backup also results in a failure because of the space. What about the subcription?
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,259 TomTom Moderator
    This is the advise I got after an urgent fix that could not be installed, including the map update: scan your device - done, format your device, done, re-install the lastest software and map, not possible. Result? Up a creek ..., why not issue a warning that the new map is too big for the device and prevent installing. The device lies useless, as the backup also results in a failure because of the space. What about the subcription?

I have sent a heads up to the customer service about this. So someone will be getting in touch with you for further assistance.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.