Email from TomTom to download Maps-Scam or not?

Davy JonesDavy Jones Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 24 in Travel lounge
Just received an email allegedly from TomTom which has all the hallmarks of a scam asking me to download the latest map version. Addressed to me using my email address rather than my name asking me to hit the button to download. If this is legit then TomTom need to review the content and advice in their emails. I have deleted the message.

Regards

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,189 Superusers
    And you think it was a scam, why?
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,552 Superuser
    @dhn

In Europe the are many Public Service Broadcast warnings about scam/phishing emails. Identified by lack of personal information and asking you to click on a link or have an attached file. The advice is to delete then, and NOT to open/click on any attachments.
    TomTom are in the habit of sending out mail shots that fall into this trap. If only they would introduce their emails with the name of the device that is registered to the email address then customers would know that it was genuine.
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍

If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,189 Superusers
    We get them in North America as well. I just got the same email from TomTom but, in small print, it said I'd received the email because I has a MUS for the device associated with the email address ... which is true.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,552 Superuser
    @dhn

The marketing department should have a good read of this https://emailmarketing.comm100.com/email-marketing-ebook/flagged-as-spam.aspx
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍

If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • Davy JonesDavy Jones Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    "And you think it was a scam, why?"

All of the above.

Regards
  • CroftCroft Posts: 19 [Master Traveler]
    It probably was TomTom wanting to install a critical update as per below.....don't do it

December 2016 - Don't update your TomTom Home 2 with any updates as TomTom have decided to disable all these older models with their new Critical update. Once you install the update you wont get any further support for your device. including map updates, Itinerary planning - you wont be able to make a New Itinerary, Start Navigation, Operate my go. This is extremely disappointing that this company are walking away from so many worldwide TomTom devices because they cant be bothered looking after their customers with a few older models. Well my device was working fine until I downloaded this critical update and not it is useless just like your company.

Devices no longer supported from 15/11/2016:

GO 300 (M1) GO 730 (J3) ONE 125 (PA/PE/PH/PN/PV/PP)
    GO 500 (M3) GO 750 (W8) START (XA/XC)
    GO 510 / GO 710 (V5) GO CLASSIC (B1) XL 30 Series (RH/RO/RQ)
    GO 520 (M2/M4) Release Year 2007 ONE 1st Edition (G1/G2) XL IQ Routes ² / XL Classic (GG)
    GO 530 (J1/J2) ONE 2nd Edition (E1/Z1/Z2/Z3) GO 540 (WT)
    ONE 3rd Edition (Y1/Y3/Y5/Y8) GO 550 LIVE (W3) ONE XL (L2/L3/L4/L7/L9)
    GO 715 (M7) ONE XL HD TRAFFIC (F3)

Contact TomTom for a FREE updated replacement device as they have forced perfectly good working devices to be disabled.