GO 6200 Night-Time Setting

BlindAlley
BlindAlley Registered Users Posts: 7
Master Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I suppose a good regard myself as something of a seasoned user of tomtom products and so I wasn't unduly surprised to discover that this newer addition to the range of Go Live satnav's, still has a problem with the night-time setting. If, like me, you don't find the display that this offers to be either useful or attractive, then you probably want rid of it as soon as possible! Unfortunately, if it's already got dark, before you try and do this, then you will be wasting your time. I know, it's hilariously funny, if you know what you are doing. Turning off the night-time screen setting appears to achieve nothing until you try and use it during the following day and find that it is stuck in night-time mode! The only way around this is to walk back through the settings, to where you were before you TRIED to turn the night-time setting off (at night) and then turn it off again during the daytime! Only in this way, will the night-time setting be turned off completely! There's a logic are here and I wish I could claim that it is new to this particular device… but it isn't. The old Go Live 1005 had exactly the same problem. Maybe, just maybe tomtom will get around to fixing this one… don't hold your breath waiting!

Comments

• MikkoK
    MikkoK Retired TomTom Employee Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi BlindAlley,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reporting this!

I'll log this to be reported to the product team. I'd also recommend you to report this to Customer Service for further investigation.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Madboy
    Madboy Registered Users Posts: 1,785
    Renowned Wayfarer
    I am missing something here.

Why don't you just tap Menu (....) and then hit the Night Button and this will bring the day settings back.

Regards

Madboy
  • BlindAlley
    Master Traveler
    Yes, I think you are missing the point, I was talking about disabling the night-time settings altogether, is something I do not wish to use, or find useful. You cannot disable the night-time settings during the night, as the satnav will get stuck in night-time mode, even during the day. Yes, of course, to God's release the night-time settings and allow it to flipped a daytime sittings BEFORE you can then disabled the night-time settings. So, yes, I think the thing that you were missing was that I was talking about disabling night-time setting not simply switching between the two settings.
  • Chris
    Chris Registered Users Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi BlindAlley, have you tried Menu > Settings > Display > Switch to night colours when dark, and moving the slider to the left? This should disable the map automatically changing to night mode.
  • big
    big Posts: 1,712
    Superuser
    I find the automatic dimming useful at night (though it's not dim enough) but the night mode "colors" are useless. All the detail is stripped -- to what purpose? Does TomTom think bodies of water disappear at night?

Automatic dimming WITHOUT changing the color scheme would be a good thing.
  • BlindAlley
    Master Traveler
    The usefulness of this function, to some people, is not in question. The entire thrust of this was an attempt to highlight that it is not possible disable the dimmed display, during the hours of dakness and tbat some idiot has arranged the firmware in such an award-winnigly stupid fashion as to lock in the nigh time setting IF you try to disable it at night! Attempting to permenently disable the setting, at night, has the reverse effect and has it so that the night setting is also on during the day ...what is more, this is not a new problem and also existed on my Go Live 1005. I have long dince worked out that tomtom IT are not interested in debugging their firmware and this us also true of the data uploading function.
  • Chris
    Chris Registered Users Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi BlindAlley, sorry but it's not completely clear what you want to see on your device, did the suggestion I already gave not work for you?

If you follow my steps to turn off the automatic switching to night colours AFTER the device has already changed to night colours you will need to follow the steps that MadBoy wrote to change the device back to day colours, but after that it will never switch to night colours again unless you change these options.
  • arichard
    arichard Registered Users Posts: 319
    Supreme Navigator
    Seems to me MikkoK is the only one on this thread who has correctly understood the problem.
  • BlindAlley
    Master Traveler
    it probably works. I haven't tried it, simply because I solved the problem in my own way. My complaint was that disabling the night-time setting appear to be nowhere near as straightforward as it could have been (disabling the night-time something, doing just that without the need to adjust anything else). I'm sure I'm not the only person to sleepwalk into this and then wonder what the hell is going on when the unit appear stuck in night-time mode, even by the following morning! It's not as simple as it should be or could be.
  • Zsolt
    Zsolt Posts: 36,014
     Superuser
    On the other hand, most of the people complain about the screen being too bright even in night mode (with dark colours and lower brightness). So this sort of "request" is pretty rare. Can't remember seeing many similar posts that people want to drive around with day colours at night, with the whole screen lit in the face.
  • big
    big Posts: 1,712
    Superuser
    For me anyhow, day colors at night are fine. It's the brightness that is the issue.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,015
     Superuser
    BlindAlley wrote:
    So I wasn't unduly surprised to discover that this newer addition to the range of Go Live satnav's, still has a problem with the night-time setting. If you're like me you don't find the display that this offers to be either useful or attractive, then you probably want rid of it as soon as possible! Unfortunately, if it's already got dark before you try and do this, then you will be wasting your time. I know, it's hilariously funny, if you know what you are doing. Turning off the night-time screen setting appears to achieve nothing until you try and use it during the following day and find that it is stuck in night-time mode!
    Hi
    +1 the Day/Night Screen behaves exactly like you say....
    I found that like you, that turning off the switching to Night Colours during the hours of darkness.... By Tapping the 4Dot(.... Menu) -->Setting --> Display --> 'Switch to night when dark'... Then indeed, the device starts up the next day/morning displaying the Night screen...

It's obvious really... if you turn off Day/Night screen switching when the Night screen is showing it's not going to later switch to the Day screen because Day/Night screen switching has been turned off

BlindAlley wrote:
    The only way around this is to walk back through the settings, to where you were before you TRIED to turn the night-time setting off (at night) and then turn it off again during the daytime
    To save you a few button pushes I have found if you tap the Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) Icon (Screen Bottom left) then Tap the "Moon Icon", the device switches to Day mode and then holds the setting you prefer Day/Night switching turned off and Daylight Colours always displayed :)

You can always turn the default Day/Night switching back on in the Setting Menu

ATB YFM
  • Ivor bigun
    Ivor bigun Registered Users Posts: 6
    Master Traveler
    7 years I have been waiting for 1005 this 6200 wont change you have had your money nothing will get done
This discussion has been closed.