Want to create a backup of my Carminat SD Card onto another card before updating — TomTom Community

Want to create a backup of my Carminat SD Card onto another card before updating

RobH1963RobH1963 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 30 in Built in car navigation
Since I had problems in the past with updating TomTom maps I want to start with a working backup of the card I currently have.

I have a Renault Carminat Tom Tom with the original SD Card as up to date as it can be. It has the Benelux maps on them. Since these are years old (I bought the car second hand) I want to upgrade them. And would also like to get the Western-Europe card.

But to be sure I want make a backup and restore that on a separate SD card and make sure that functions before I continue.

Using TomTom that is easily done. However I get the message on the device that tells me the map Benelux will not load.

Again copying all files by hand from the original to a newly formatted SD card is simple. Still message tells me map will not load.

Going one step further and using a tool to create a complete image of the original SD card and the copying that onto a new SD card has exactly the same outcome: Map will not load.

I seriously question the possibility to create working backups through TomTom or any other way.

Is there a real working way to create such a backup??? I have looked through many topics on this forum and all over the Internet and have tried several suggested methods and none worked. (Including deleting the loopdir).

When TomTom device simply work they are absolutely great :cool:, but upgrading, backing up and buying maps have always caused me much headache. :(

I am now seriously looking at replacing the TomTom device with another device (Android based) that I know will be much easier to upgrade and maintain.

Can anyone tell how to create a working backup? Without that backup I will not feel comfortable when buying a new map.

TIA

Comments

• Troubadix12Troubadix12 Posts: 1,927 [Revered Pioneer]
    Hi RobH1963,

welcome to the TomTom-Community :)

One Question: Have you ever purchased and download a MapUpdate for the Benelux-Map (not MapShare)?

If not, you can't copy it to another SD-Card. Because it is "linked" to the SD-Card-Hardware-ID. It is because the Unit and the SD-Card are manufactured seperately. TT didn't know at assembly-process, in which Unit later which SD-Card is used. Therefore the Map-".dct"-File (encrypted File to unlock the Map) from the original Map is "linked" to the SD-Card-Hardware-ID.
    If you registered the Unit with your TT-Account and purchase and download a Map. This new Map is "linked" to your TT-Account and could be copied on all SD-Cards.

Regards

Troubadix12
  • RobH1963RobH1963 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Troubadix12,

Thanks for the answer. I was guessing that the map was somehow linked to the sd card id. This means that if this card ever gets lost or damaged I am completely without a map. It doesn't matter how many backups I make ...

I do not want to purcahse an update for Benelux but I want to buy a map for Western Europe. Can I use an empty (bigger) SD card and intialize it in my Carminat and then use TomTom Home to buy and download the map onto that new card?

How big can that card be? It's getting expensive to buy cards smaller than 8GB nowadays. I would like to just have some room to spare.

TIA

Rob
  • Troubadix12Troubadix12 Posts: 1,927 [Revered Pioneer]
    Hi RobH1963,

sorry, my last Carminat was a Carminat 2.0 Live. which works with SDHC-Cards up to 64GB (I have tested it ). But I don't know if a older Carminat (not Live) works with them. Try a 16GB. They didn't cost that much ;) MayBe a Map-Update-Service for whole Europe for 1 or 1,5 Years have better price-performance then one Map only. It's your choice :)

Regards

Troubadix12
  • RobH1963RobH1963 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    In the end I just bought myself a 16 GB SD Card at the drugstore and went in head first.
    Inserted the card in the Carminat. Let it initialize.
    Took it in to my laptop. Started TomTom Home and bought the map of Europe and installed it.
    Went back to the car. Inserted the card and it worked!

Too bad it took me so long to figure out that creating a backup of the original card was absolutely impossible.

Thanks