Thoughts on the new TomTom Go 6200 & 5200? - Page 2 — TomTom Community

Thoughts on the new TomTom Go 6200 & 5200?

Comments

• bigbig Posts: 1,573 Superuser
    Do you think it better with a Go 520 or 620 because it will use all 2g, 3g and 4g from the connected phone, rather than having one of the Go 6200 or 5200 that only have a 2g sim card in it? as in it will loose connection less?
    I don't know for sure, but I suspect the phone will lose a connection less frequently. Also 2G services are being phased out in many areas, so depending where you are phone connectivity may be available for longer. This probably does not matter for Europe and the UK though since 2G there isn't going away soon.

That said, it's hard to beat the convenience of the built in SIM, always there, even if your phone is not, or if someone else is driving (who has no phone or didn't pair it to the device).
  • leebroath1976leebroath1976 Posts: 46 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    @big thanks for your input

Yes you are right,

The main reason I returned my last Satnav was because of my initial thoughts of the traffic alerts arriving on the device by my mobile signal and what if I lost my signal for example 30min, I would then not receive the very latest alert of a traffic accident ahead

All can say is that im looking forward to using this device
  • Tallorder24Tallorder24 Posts: 52 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    big wrote:
    Do you think it better with a Go 520 or 620 because it will use all 2g, 3g and 4g from the connected phone, rather than having one of the Go 6200 or 5200 that only have a 2g sim card in it? as in it will loose connection less?
    I don't know for sure, but I suspect the phone will lose a connection less frequently. Also 2G services are being phased out in many areas, so depending where you are phone connectivity may be available for longer. This probably does not matter for Europe and the UK though since 2G there isn't going away soon.

That said, it's hard to beat the convenience of the built in SIM, always there, even if your phone is not, or if someone else is driving (who has no phone or didn't pair it to the device).

Ive just got the 6200, and after you talking about maybe a phone and sat nav combo would be a better way ahead, especially as tomtom are still using only 2g sims. However the convenience of having a sat nav that doesnt need a phone for it to fully work is a benefit.
    I'm sure, sure TomTom have done all their research and made sure all their testing has included built up areas which includes hills.

I would much prefer the signal to piggyback on the back of radio waves as I hardly ever lose any signal, if I do it's only for a brief second. Whereas my mobile signal would lose connection more than once and for longer periods...for example driving to Aberdeen on the east coast from Montrose.
    Note that TMC, like 2G, also may be on its last legs. Once commercial broadcasts have gone digital (2020?) TMC will no longer be carried unless other provisions are made.
    2020 that's 4 years off, I think I'll have had exeptaional use out of the devise by then :)
  • Ghia06Ghia06 Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    I've had my GO 6200 for a week now, its my first tomtom. Using it in Australia and I'm comparing it with a couple of navmans from quite a few years back and one recent cheapish device using the iGo interface

There is a lot that's good. Its very quick and smooth, when the screen rotates it does so with little or no jerks or stutters. Route recalculations are very, very fast. Traffic and other information shown on the route bar seems accurate and useful. So far it has neither crashed, frozen or required a reboot.

Having connected it to both work and home wifi networks it offered an update when I arrived in the carpark at work and a simple tap meant the update was done. This part I like a lot.

Using the mydrive app and website seems to work well. As I am preparing to leave work (or even an hour before hand if I think of it) I can set a destination and it is there when I fire up the car. This is as satisfying as I thought it would be but more useful than I anticpiated. I've used this feature a few times in the short time since purchase e.g. look up a restaurant or shop online and then send it to the device.

The voice control is good for controlling things like volume, clearing a route, choosing from my places etc. I've had limited success using it to enter an address, although I can see it will work if I want to go to a town rather than a full address.

Its easy to pick flaws with things like this. I find it too bright at night even on the lowest setting. Like others I'd to have the tomtom handle SMS but not phone calls. But these are small things and this device is just cool.

I'll know more after I do some holiday touring rather than just commuting but so far so good.

Hope this helps somebody.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    When it comes to data, 2G has been around for longer than 3G and 4G so actually has slightly better coverage than those signals. The sims inside the device are provided by Vodafone and you can view and compare their coverage here: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/network/uk-coverage-map/index.htm

Another reason why we use 2G is because the size of the data for TomTom Speed Cameras and TomTom Traffic is so small that a faster connection is not necessary. http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1576/~/tomtom-traffic-data-usage

When it comes to Europe, 2G isn't going anywhere anytime soon, in fact it's more likely that 3G will disappear before it: http://rethink-wireless.com/2016/02/08/europe-may-lose-3g-before-2g/
    https://www.gsmaintelligence.com/research/2016/01/the-future-of-legacy-mobile-networks-in-europe/539/

In other parts of the world the 2G service is no longer available so we only offer the Smartphone connected devices in those regions.
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 629 Superuser
    I was going to be one of the first to moan about the new models still having a 2G SIM, until I did a bit of research and discovered 3G/4G network coverage was a subset of the broader 2G coverage (at least for Vodafone in the UK).

Nice post Chris - you should make that an FAQ sticky :)
    After owning the Go 6200, these are my thoughts.

upon taking out of the box it looks great, setting up was easy by connecting to wifi and updating the maps and software. The device is very fast as well. The performance and speed over the previous generation was perfect.

Now onto the bad stuff.

Smart messages don't work with an iPhone 5s on iOS 10.1 - no messages come up at all, The voice activated dialing crashes upon clicking on the phone icon in the bottom right corner and the only way to bring it back to life is to do a drum roll reset.

When connected to wifi it is impossible to disconnect when out and about in the car. The only way I have found is to do a drum roll reset or remove wifi settings before you leave the house. These issues render the sat nav useless if you have to do drum roll resets to fix issues only for them to return again and again.

The world maps that I am supposed to have are no longer present after doing a factory reset, which TomTom support told me to do and have no fix on how to get the maps back. Also Support have not given me any indication when the above issues will be fixed.

For all these reasons my TomTom Go 6200 is going back to amazon for a full refund. This is clearly a sat nav still in beta stages of its life. For purchasing this at £339.99, I expect everything to work as stated.
    Also like to add paying £339.99 for a device that clearly doesn't work as advertised. I will be most likely purchasing the Go 520 instead, because even with these issues £209.99 is a lot less to stomach and hopefully wait for updates that will improve it. If you want to use handsfree you have to connect to tomtom anyway, so you might as well get traffic and cam updates as well through your phone. The £130.00 extra for the so called top of the range is simply not worth it.
    @Chris I know you defend the use of supporting 2G, but why 2G ONLY? By not supporting other protocols TomTom is shunning a large part of the world, for example, North America, Australia and a lot of Asia. It would be nice if TomTom had a truly world-wide device.
  • hairdoghairdog Posts: 38 [Master Explorer]
    I have had my 6200 for 3 weeks. I had to do a hard reset cause the device lagged so badly that my 6100 was quicker. Think it's so lame that the device meant to be quicker is slower. After the hard reset it worked well but again running slow. Time for A Garmin I think.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi hairdog,

With "hard reset" do you mean factory reset from the Settings - System menu? If not, I'd recommend you to try that. Please note, that this will delete your personal information, e.g. My Places and destination prediction data. You can save and restore My Places with MyDrive.

Have you had the Destination Suggestions on? If yes, can you try if turning them off helps?

Thanks, Mikko
    I did the reset via the menu setting. I never used the destination setting. after the firmware update this morning it seems to be running quick again
    Hi hairdog,

Thanks for coming back about this!

I'll log this to be reported to the product team. Meanwhile, I'd recommend you to contact Customer Service for further assistance.

Cheers, Mikko
    The hard reset was recommended by customer service. I will keep you posted if slows down
  • Hilly68Hilly68 Posts: 10 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Hi All,

I have just taken delivery of my new GO6200 after taking the plunge to upgrade from my old faithful GO730.

On very first impression, I would have to say that the Jury Is Out, so I'll give it substantial time to judge accordingly.

My first questions \ Issues are:

1. It's not flexible enough like my old GO730, ESPECIALLY as I want to always have my live current speed on the screen

2. I was assured by TomTom support prior to purchase that I can simply transfer all of my own POI's from my old device to my new device... But how? I have the best part of 15 years worth of customer POI's stored that I had originally on my PDA, then transferred to my GO730, and now I MUST have them on my GO6200 - If it's not possible, it's being returned!

3. I am concerned to hear the 2G-3G-4G questions on here as the main reason for my purchase was to have the LIVE SIM updates and if this is going to disappear if the 2G network is shut down, then TomTom are guilty of not having a future proof policy

Any help and advice would be appreciated.
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 629 Superuser
    Hilly68 wrote:
    1. It's not flexible enough like my old GO730, ESPECIALLY as I want to always have my live current speed on the screen
    It is (when you're moving).
    Hilly68 wrote:
    2. I was assured by TomTom support prior to purchase that I can simply transfer all of my own POI's from my old device to my new device... But how? I have the best part of 15 years worth of customer POI's stored that I had originally on my PDA, then transferred to my GO730, and now I MUST have them on my GO6200 - If it's not possible, it's being returned!
    Clicky.
    Hilly68 wrote:
    3. I am concerned to hear the 2G-3G-4G questions on here as the main reason for my purchase was to have the LIVE SIM updates and if this is going to disappear if the 2G network is shut down, then TomTom are guilty of not having a future proof policy
    By definition, anything that relies on a third-party service or infrastructure is not future-proof - and that includes if TomTom were to be using 2G, 3G 4G or 5G. 2G is not going away any time soon due to the quantity of devices relying on it, and indeed there's a good chance it'll outlive 3G.
    Thanks for the responses.

As I said, I'll give it due time to give a considered opinion, so fingers crossed ;-)

I'll try the transfers later

I hear and understand the 2G\3G\4G stuff, I just hope that 2G doesn't disappear before my GO6200 dies..... some of the comments inferred it was imminent. Again, fingers crossed.

Thanks again.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Hilly68, see my post from earlier in this thread where I try to combat some of the misconceptions surrounding 2G usage, complete with sources: https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-wifi-62005200620520-482/thoughts-on-the-new-tomtom-go-6200-5200-1012755/index2.html#post1126679
    Hi,

I just tried to do the transfer...............

Uploaded from my GO730 no problem......

But says that all of the content, more importantly, my POI's are Not Compatible with my new device!

Any Ideas guys?
    Thanks for the info on 2G Chris, it's peace of mind for me, and also I guess for my wife..... Amazon Kindle ;-)
    Please take a look at the link below................

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14081

It appears obvious from this that my POI's will not go onto my new GO6200 ???

So, as it stands........... I fear that the advice I got on the phone from TomTom Support that made me order the new unit was incorrect??

I'd be amazed if TomTom have not considered this when writing updates and new software surely???

Hi Hilly68,

Thanks for your feedback regarding the Content Transfer Assistant! The FAQ actually doesn't list the GO Wifi devices as compatible. I've reported this to our technicians and we're looking into it.

Meanwhile, you can import your POIs to your new GO 6200 with MyDrive. On your GO 730 you'll find the .ov2 files in the poi and map folders. For more information and troubleshooting tips for MyDrive, please see this FAQ.

Please, post back here if you have further questions.

Cheers, Mikko