Spark 3 Satellite Chipset

tesh0
tesh0 Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Does anyone know the make/model of the satellite chipset that is in the new Spark 3?

Also, does the Spark 3 support GLONASS? I've read conflicting information around the web.

Thank you!

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,953
     Superuser
    tesh0 wrote:
    Does anyone know the make/model of the satellite chipset that is in the new Spark 3?

Also, does the Spark 3 support GLONASS? I've read conflicting information around the web.

Thank you!

TT has supported Glonass in all its watches. As to the specific chipset, I have never seen that published. Why does the chip set matter is the GPS is accurate (which it generally is)?

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • tesh0
    Apprentice Traveler
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    TT has supported Glonass in all its watches.
    I know this, but I'm looking for positive confirmation or this particular model.
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    Why does the chip set matter is the GPS is accurate (which it generally is)?
    Because I love information and research. If one were to know the chipset, they could compare similar devices with the same chipset and expect similar perfomance.
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    tesh0 wrote:
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    TT has supported Glonass in all its watches.
    I know this, but I'm looking for positive confirmation or this particular model.
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    Why does the chip set matter is the GPS is accurate (which it generally is)?
    Because I love information and research. If one were to know the chipset, they could compare similar devices with the same chipset and expect similar perfomance.

They all have Glonass support, it is in multiple reviews of it. Google TomTom and Glonass for confirmation. As to the chip set, while that sounds good in theory, in reality the software is going to be the deciding factor between two devices. The sampling rate, how they smooth the data, what elevation model they use, they are all going to play a factor and change the results even for two devices with the same chipset.
  • tesh0
    Apprentice Traveler
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    They all have Glonass support, it is in multiple reviews of it. Google TomTom and Glonass for confirmation. As to the chip set, while that sounds good in theory, in reality the software is going to be the deciding factor between two devices. The sampling rate, how they smooth the data, what elevation model they use, they are all going to play a factor and change the results even for two devices with the same chipset.

First google search of "spark 3 glonass":
    The Spark 3 doesn’t have the more advanced GLONASS technology for better satellite connection so fell a bit behind the Garmin Forerunner 235 when testing the GPS accuracy.

And I realize there is a lot involved in accuracy. The accuracy is not in question.

If you don't know, you don't know. I'm not sure what you are posting...
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    tesh0 wrote:
    tfarabaugh wrote:

First google search of "spark 3 glonass":
    The Spark 3 doesn’t have the more advanced GLONASS technology for better satellite connection so fell a bit behind the Garmin Forerunner 235 when testing the GPS accuracy.

And I realize there is a lot involved in accuracy. The accuracy is not in question.

If you don't know, you don't know. I'm not sure what you are posting...

The Google search I found showed it has it, but there are a lot of conflicting results. Ultimately this is a user forum, not a Customer Support line so no one from TomTom is going to answer this here. Your best bet to get a final answer is to call Customer Support and ask them directly. To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact, enter the product name and click Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).
  • KKay
    KKay Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    I read somewhere that GPS + Glonass uses both sets of satellites thus more accurate. Question then seems very valid to want to know what the Spark 3 uses. In the mountains or between buildings you often don't have good line of sight thus can get huge drift.
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    tesh0 wrote:

Thank you!

TT has supported Glonass in all its watches. As to the specific chipset, I have never seen that published. Why does the chip set matter is the GPS is accurate (which it generally is)?

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.