Pairing Headphones during an Activity

Mizcrys323Mizcrys323 Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
While out for a run today, the pairing between my headphones and Spark Cardio dropped. To repair, I had to end my run, pair the headphones again, and start a new run on the Spark? Shouldn't the Spark be able to pair automatically, especially during an activity? If it does not, then I would like to add that to the suggestion box. It seems unnecessary to stop and restart my tracking just to get my headphones paired.

Comments

• ScalposScalpos Posts: 28 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Don't expect much about that, no new features, they barely are able to keep the thing stable across their updates... GPS issue, battery drain...
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,670 Superusers
    Mizcrys323 wrote:
    While out for a run today, the pairing between my headphones and Spark Cardio dropped. To repair, I had to end my run, pair the headphones again, and start a new run on the Spark? Shouldn't the Spark be able to pair automatically, especially during an activity? If it does not, then I would like to add that to the suggestion box. It seems unnecessary to stop and restart my tracking just to get my headphones paired.

Agreed, I am not sure why it cannot repair during an activity. It was odd that it lost pairing altogether, I have had dropping issues but have never had it lose pairing once it was paired. Had the headphones lost power or did anything else unusual happen? The suggestion has already been made in the past but I am not sure where it falls on the priority list as there are bigger issues than this, which seems to happen very rarely. It may get fixed, it may not, TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • tt_gttt_gt Posts: 260 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Is the headset paired also to your phone?

There's something strange that sometimes goes on when you connect headphones to watch and phone at the same time - they can fight over control of the audio.

We've found that if the headset connects to the watch and phone, then even if you turn off the phone (or go out of range of the phone) then sometimes the audio gets in a bad way.

Once it's like this, you need to power cycle the headphones, then connect them back to the watch only.

A way to prevent this from occurring is to turn off bluetooth from your phone, or get out of range of your phone, prior to connecting the headset to the watch.
  • MikeBRMikeBR Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Yes I would also like to see the function of pairing the headphones during an activity. I am going to be running a half marathon and don't want to start with music as I want to soak up the atmosphere, but would probably like to listen mid-run. Seem this is not possible?
    Hi, it's not possible now, although we are aware that some people would like this.

My suggested workaround in the mean time is to connect your watch and your headset before the start, then pause the music (either using headset controls, or by pressing up in the music player screen). You can then unpause whenever you want a listen.

Power drain with the music playback paused is significantly lower than when actually playing music, so the battery on both the watch and the headset should last a long time in this state.

If you're unsure how that will work out, I suggest you practice at home before the big day.

Finally, good luck. If you are aiming for a target time, then remember to use the training->race mode to create a 13.1 mile race with your target time to act as your personal pacer.
  • MikeBRMikeBR Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Thanks for the tip, will do that.
    Just a question about the race mode... how do you set the target time?
    Go to training (down from the linking screen) then race, then custom.

You can then set a target time and distance, and the watch will pace you to this.
  • DavidGillDavidGill Posts: 9 [Master Traveler]
    pausing music is exactly what I'm doing BUT training for marathon long runs are 3 hours, so the TT bluetooth headphones battery runs low even on pause. when I do un-pause music is choppy. But unfortunately I get choppy music from time to time anyway despite following all the usual suggestions to solve this.

I think turn headphones, auto connect to watch should be a no brainer .... wish it was.

Started a new question today on connecting headphones during run here:
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/ask-a-question-469/connect-headphones-during-run-1028693