TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

MySports- Possible to change week start setting?

unicyclonunicyclon Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
I received my Spark a few days ago. The product is just great, and replaces my good old watch advantageously.
More specifically, the daily activity tracking is a nice addition to motivate myself walking more than before. However, I couldn't find a way to change the first day of the week – set to sunday by default – to monday. Is it one that I missed somewhere?
At least in France and in Spain (no idea about the rest of europe), the first day of the week is Monday. This would allow to better keep track of the weekly metrics... If this is missing, this would probably be a simple (but nevertheless useful) addition to this already awesome product.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,534 Superusers
    unicyclon wrote:
    I received my Spark a few days ago. The product is just great, and replaces my good old watch advantageously.
    More specifically, the daily activity tracking is a nice addition to motivate myself walking more than before. However, I couldn't find a way to change the first day of the week – set to sunday by default – to monday. Is it one that I missed somewhere?
    At least in France and in Spain (no idea about the rest of europe), the first day of the week is Monday. This would allow to better keep track of the weekly metrics... If this is missing, this would probably be a simple (but nevertheless useful) addition to this already awesome product.

Thanks for the help.

As of now the default is Sunday and there is no way to change it but the question has been raised before and development is aware of it. No way to tell if it will change or not but we can be hopeful as TT has been pretty responsive in the past and development of the watch is in the early stages. TomTom will not publicly answer any questions regarding coming upgrades or features (understandably so, as they do not know how long things will take to develop and if there will be insurmountable roadblocks preventing it) but the development team monitors the forums and notes requests and trends so you never know what might develop.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • marekbzmarekbz Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    + 1.

Monday "should" be the default for several reasons. First, it is the international standard (ISO8601), secondly TomTom is a Dutch company where Monday is the first day of the week. :)
    marekbz wrote:
    + 1.

Monday "should" be the default for several reasons. First, it is the international standard (ISO8601), secondly TomTom is a Dutch company where Monday is the first day of the week. :)

I don't disagree but for whatever reason they picked Sunday. Possibly as they are hoping to capture the larger American market which starts the week on Sunday. As this seems a relatively easy change I would hope this will change in the future.
  • marekbzmarekbz Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    That's true. Probably a business reason behind this. However, shouldn't be a limitation, and I am sure they will update soon. All other 'European' metrics (24h, KM, KG etc) are supported, which is great.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi unicyclon,

Thanks for reporting this issue!

As tfarabaugh mentioned, we're aware of it but I'll forward you feedback to the product team anyway.

By the way, if and when you have the time, we’d appreciate if you’d write a review of your new Spark Watch on Amazon.

Cheers, Mikko
  • StrekiStreki Posts: 23 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Same problem In the Czech Republic, the first day of the week is Monday. Please made firmware with this simple option.
  • dermbriandermbrian Posts: 95 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Even if the first day of the week is Sunday, the entire weekend is when many people have the time and opportunity to complete their weekly goals. I would choose Monday as my first day of the week for that reason. Breaking up the weekend does not make sense from a sports/activity focus.
  • Zzyzx_Zzyzx_ Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Seems extremely strange to me that this was not implemented before release. Im quite annoyed by this in regards to the activity tracking especially.
    Tho it seems that the function is coming(I'm just guessing this must be for any of the TomTom Sparks):
    http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21093/~/how-do-i-set-which-day-the-week-begins-on-my-tomtom-gps-music-watch?
  • Maximiliaan SMaximiliaan S Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I just got my runner a few days ago and I would really like this feature to be implemented as well. ETA for when we can expect it?
    I just got my runner a few days ago and I would really like this feature to be implemented as well. ETA for when we can expect it?

As the press release in the previous post stated, "later this year". You will not get anything more specific than that. TomTom will not publicly answer any questions regarding coming upgrades or features beyond what is in the press releases.
  • adammiarkaadammiarka Posts: 35 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    marekbz wrote:
    I don't disagree but for whatever reason they picked Sunday. Possibly as they are hoping to capture the larger American market which starts the week on Sunday. As this seems a relatively easy change I would hope this will change in the future.

I'm an American...my week starts on Monday. :P
    adammiarka wrote:
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    marekbz wrote:

I'm an American...my week starts on Monday. :P

So am I but every calendar I ever buy starts on Sunday. The work week starts on Monday but the calendar week traditional starts on Sunday. I don't see why they can't make is a user selectable option. It does not seem like it would be that big a change.
  • adammiarkaadammiarka Posts: 35 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    So am I but every calendar I ever buy starts on Sunday. The work week starts on Monday but the calendar week traditional starts on Sunday. I don't see why they can't make is a user selectable option. It does not seem like it would be that big a change.

Probably a bit hard as it would affect the logic for Goals and such. Still, would be nice to have the option. :-D
  • FurTFurT Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Pleeeeeeeaseeeeeee change it!! It relly drives crazy to people like me. I'm used to check my weekly reports on Sundays, when it's my free day and all the parameters have just being reset so I have to check it online. Having all the data on our watch is one of the best things of this gadget.
  • afterdesignafterdesign Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Oh, common tomtom. This should be fixed already.
  • NeovoNeovo Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    I am also dissapointed in the fact you can't choose the first day, for me Monday would be a better option. I agree the statement above ; come on TT.. Almost one year later and even this still isn't possible.. This really is an easy feature to add .. Seems like there are no developers anymore involved with the TomTom running app or Spark/Cardio watch.. Really sad :-(
    Neovo wrote:
    I am also dissapointed in the fact you can't choose the first day, for me Monday would be a better option. I agree the statement above ; come on TT.. Almost one year later and even this still isn't possible.. This really is an easy feature to add .. Seems like there are no developers anymore involved with the TomTom running app or Spark/Cardio watch.. Really sad :-(

There are plenty of developers but changing the starting day of the week is simply not a high enough demand item to merit the resources. This is the only thread on it and there are many issues with far more interest. They may get there eventually but the focus seems to be on getting basic functionality (connectivity and accuracy) working, then getting promised updates implemented (phone notifications), so this is probably pretty far down the list. The focus other than the notifications seems to be more on the sports side of it and less on the day-to-day watch functions so I am not sure if we will see a change here. And it is not a simple fix as not only do they need to reprogram the watch but they would also need to completely redo MySports and all the progress charts and data since they would need to change based on a user selection as well. Far from a simple fix.
  • NeovoNeovo Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    You made some valid points which I really understand. On the other hand; too bad that there aren't more visible updates ; ok the core functionalities are more important and deserve priority, but shouldn't those had already been more stable from the release? I don't really understand that still after 1-2 years after the release off some watches still those core functionalities are not OK yet. There are sportwatches on the market for the same or lower price which core functionalities were stable on release and which application really is WAY better and release lots of major updates, in the year I have my TT watch there only were 1 or 2.. (+the MySports app you unfortunately almost can't call an app, it has potential and some cool ideas but it now - still - looks more like a under construction webpage) . I know developing isn't always easy, but it is hard for me to see that a company like this doesn't seem to be able to make a solid app and maintain it in a couple of months. I developed applications with the same potential in weeks on my own or with a 2-3 person developing team. A company like TT should really crush it in my opinion.
    Neovo wrote:
    You made some valid points which I really understand. On the other hand; too bad that there aren't more visible updates ; ok the core functionalities are more important and deserve priority, but shouldn't those had already been more stable from the release? I don't really understand that still after 1-2 years after the release off some watches still those core functionalities are not OK yet. There are sportwatches on the market for the same or lower price which core functionalities were stable on release and which application really is WAY better and release lots of major updates, in the year I have my TT watch there only were 1 or 2.. (+the MySports app you unfortunately almost can't call an app, it has potential and some cool ideas but it now - still - looks more like a under construction webpage) . I know developing isn't always easy, but it is hard for me to see that a company like this doesn't seem to be able to make a solid app and maintain it in a couple of months. I developed applications with the same potential in weeks on my own or with a 2-3 person developing team. A company like TT should really crush it in my opinion.

Much of this is true and I am not defending them, but bear in mind I am not sure there development team is all that large. TT is a large company but the sports watch is just a tiny part of their portfolio so I am not sure how much goes into it. They are first and foremost a SatNav company and seem to be doing the watches as a side project. I think they have made a lot of progress on the MySports website and a lot of behind the scenes stuff, with perhaps less on the app than necessary (which is a little more difficult as you are dealing with multiple phone OSs). Right not most of the app functionality is actually just redirecting you to MySports using the app as a web browser. Hopefully they will soon have a full fledged app. But again, they are selling a watch, not an app, so I am not sure how much resources is going into the app, which is a not their main product, it is a by product (and it works well enough for what it is for most people). I would argue that the core functionality is very stable. It is a HR enabled GPS watch with an activity tracker. The GPS works great, the HR works fine (as far as the technology limitations go) and the activity tracking works. Anything beyond that is bells and whistles and subject to user preference. What one person wants is different from another and then you get into an argument of what is a necessary function and what is an extra. As to updates, my Suunto Ambit2 was never updated and Garmin is known for buggy firmware which might get one update and certainly none after 6 months to a year. The fact that TT is still updating the original Runner and MultiSport watches that have been out for 3 years is actually unusual for the industry. Still, we should keep pushing them to do more and hope they respond with continuous improvement.
  • riotrickriotrick Posts: 28 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    The sports division seems to be about 11% of the consumer division, with in itself is about 2/3 of the total company revenue. But is growing fast. Some quotes of the TomTom 2015 annual report (see here if you're interested: http://annualreport2015.tomtom.com/docs/TomTom2015/index.php?nr=20&r_code=TomTom2015)

Total Consumer revenue for the year was €624 million, an increase of 1% compared with last year (2014: €619 million). The year on year growth was mainly driven by a strong growth in our Sports category and a modestly higher Automotive hardware revenue, partially offset by lower PND revenue.

Sports revenue amounted to €69 million in 2015, an increase of 40% compared with last year (2014: €50 million), fuelled by the launch of our new range GPS sport watches and our action camera.
    riotrick wrote:
    The sports division seems to be about 11% of the consumer division, with in itself is about 2/3 of the total company revenue. But is growing fast. Some quotes of the TomTom 2015 annual report (see here if you're interested: http://annualreport2015.tomtom.com/docs/TomTom2015/index.php?nr=20&r_code=TomTom2015)

Total Consumer revenue for the year was €624 million, an increase of 1% compared with last year (2014: €619 million). The year on year growth was mainly driven by a strong growth in our Sports category and a modestly higher Automotive hardware revenue, partially offset by lower PND revenue.

Sports revenue amounted to €69 million in 2015, an increase of 40% compared with last year (2014: €50 million), fuelled by the launch of our new range GPS sport watches and our action camera.

Good to know, as I stated in my response, I was guessing at the size. And at 11% of 67%, that puts it at just over 7%, which I would consider a fairly small (but not tiny) portion of the overall portfolio. It does seem to be a growing piece of it, so hopefully more resources will get funneled into this division.
  • TeiTei Posts: 40 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I switched from Garmin Forerunner 610 to TomTom basically for three reasons:
    1. to get rid of the HRM chest strap, and that already is a huge improvement!
    2. Garmin's wrist strap is a failure: after several years of complaints from customers, they did nothing to it.
    3. I had a lot of issues with charging the Garmin, especially on hotter days --- again an issue that is well known, but Garmin has never addressed it.

Learning curve with TomTom was steep because of its different philosophy, but when I eventually got MySports connection working with my phone, I am quite happy with the app --- I actually think MySports website looks quite cool. The only issue I have is the start of the week -- the reason I found this thread :)
  • TontellaTontella Posts: 50 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Pleasure default setting for weekend on Monday please
  • paragun148paragun148 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    A brilliant watch spoilt by the start date of the week, come on TT pull the thumb out of your *** and get it fixed, 280 million in the States, 330 million in Europe without mentioning the rest of the world, we need this sorted.
  • erioerio Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I was extremely disappointed that you can't get Monday-Sunday statistics from a TomTom because it's the format I really do need in order that weekly figures make sense to me (some people try to morph this into a "want"). So disappointed that in the meantime I've solved the problem in the only way I could: I bought a FitBit instead: poblem solved.

Haven't looked back since :-)