Alternative route on GO Mobile App — TomTom Community

Alternative route on GO Mobile App

RalphLKRalphLK Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
I have used Mobile Go for a week now. On my way to work, Mobil Go every day used the highway. There are traffic jams every day and often total chaos at the highway exit. Mobile Go tells me in red how bad it is, but not one single time referred to the alternative route. Not at any time. I never saw the screen which refers to the alternative route. I look forward to it every day. Maybe I'm on the fastest route. But I want to be able to choose. What's wrong.

Comments

• riki66riki66 Posts: 432 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Did you select "Always take the fastest route" or "Ask me so I can choose" in the route planning menu?? Because otherwise the app won't reroute you.

Check the Go Mobile Manual at page 61 for more info.
  • RalphLKRalphLK Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    yes I have done everything. also reinstalled the app. it leads me directly to the worst traffic as soon as possible. It tells me just about how bad it is. From now on, I always caught in the traffic jam.
  • jeveshajevesha Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same problem - no alternatives suggested. Previously I used Tom Tom UK Ireland which did suggest alternatives. But my new Go for iphone doesn't. en route I have also noticed at least once that "Avoid on this route" is greyed out.
  • loekfloekf Posts: 28 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Yes, same here. A few times it will show a faster route, but a lot of times it's a matter of trial and error. Just hit My Places again and get a new route. They should add an option avoid traffic delays.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for reporting this!

We've received some similar feedback and started an investigation into this. Please, report this to Customer Service as they can gather the required details for the investigation.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Roller2Roller2 Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I have reported this here, reported it to customer support.
    Discussed it thouroughly and only got advice like "reinstall the app" etc. Doesn't help.
    TomTom Go Mobile only suggests a new route when the difference in time is sufficiently large. Unfortunately TomTom won't tell me what "sufficiently" is. Either this setting needs to be changeble or alternative routes need te be presented at all times with total-travel-time and delays so you can choose. Unfortunately also in the new version 1.6 it's not available.

The workaround is to re-select your current active route from the "recent destinations" and have Go recalculate a new route. Then Go will guide you via the fastest route every time. So you need to check the amount of delay. If it's too much for you, re-select your destination and if Go shows a different route, thats the new alternative.
  • afconeafcone Posts: 14 [Legendary Explorer]
    "TomTom Go Mobile only suggests a new route when the difference in time is sufficiently large. Unfortunately TomTom won't tell me what "sufficiently" is. Either this setting needs to be changeble or alternative routes need te be presented at all times with total-travel-time and delays so you can choose"

Totally agree with this. The old app used to let you know when the traffic has changed and that you were still on the fastest route if the route hadn't changed in response to the traffic. The new Go Mobile app (it's not that new, but is missing enough features to still feel new!) doesn't do this. From the looks of it, it will only re-route if the new route is faster by [x], which I'm guessing is 3ish or so minutes (Mikko, it would be great if you could confirm this please). This makes sense if you don't want the app to keep changing routes every couple of minutes as traffic data changes. However, it's impossible for the user to know whether Tomtom has calculated a new route and decided it's not faster, or whether it simply hasn't got around to calculating a route. The only way to do this is to recalculate the route manually by selecting the destination again, not great when already driving.

Mikko - I would suggest that the app should do one or more of the following:

1) Bring back the functionality from the old app where the voice instructions tell you the revised arrival time and whether you are on the fastest route or not;
    2) Just put a small logo (a small green tick would suffice) next to the delay time on the display whenever the app has still calculated that you're still on the best route;
    3) Bring back the 'minimise delays' button!

Separately, it would be good to use the traffic data a little when using 'winding route'. The last two times I've wanted a winding route, it's flagged up 25+ minutes of delays on the route chosen, which means I've just discarded the route. I know a winding route will be slower than the fastest route, but it's not going to be pleasurable to drive if it just directs me to the nearest jam.

At the moment, Tomtom has fantastic traffic data - the reason I stick with Tomtom - but the app design means the user cannot feel confident that the app is taking all this data into account to give the best route
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback regarding this!

I've logged this to be reported to the product team as well as forwarded to our technicians. Meanwhile, I'd recommend you to report this to Customer Service - or update your case. They'll be able to to gather the required details to help us investigating the issue. Especially seeing that we've received very few contacts about this, any further information helps us getting to the bottom of this.

Thanks, Mikko
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online29

DougLap
DougLap
Ged_L
Ged_L
hajue
hajue
JvdZ
JvdZ
keeskaas