Activity based export to other websites

ericvrpericvrp Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
I would like to propose adding an option to the export features we have at the moment.

At the moment all my activities are exported to Runkeeper. But I only want to share my running with Runkeeper and my cycling with Strava and my gym work though yet another export.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,668 Superusers
    ericvrp wrote:
    I would like to propose adding an option to the export features we have at the moment.

At the moment all my activities are exported to Runkeeper. But I only want to share my running with Runkeeper and my cycling with Strava and my gym work though yet another export.

That is probably a bit more complicated than the general user needs, you are more of an edge case, so there may not be enough demand to justify it. What you can do is turn off the automatic export and create data files (fit or tcx) that you can manually upload to each respective site. I believe they are adding a feature to allow you to share to a specific site (so rather than a file type you would just hit "Send to Strava", etc.), but there is no indication of when this might be implemented. This would allow you to send directly to the site of your choice, but it would not be automatic based on activity type, you would need to upload to MySports and then share the activity.

In any case TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • ericvrpericvrp Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    "That is probably a bit more complicated than the general user needs, you are more of an edge case, so there may not be enough demand to justify it"

These are multi sport devices and what the general user needs is for these features to be useful in this context. My explanation might have been overcomplicated but the general user will want his runs to be shared with for instance Runkeeper. Having Mysports send every swim and every gym session to Runkeeper will make this feature ineffective because the runner's friends will start complaining that they get to much offtopic messages, making them disable notifications and effectivaly making the Mysport export useless.

What the general user needs is a way to say (with a simple multiselect dropdown or a small list of checkbox) that only selected activities will have to be exported. Manual upload is a non-sustainable solution.
    ericvrp wrote:
    "That is probably a bit more complicated than the general user needs, you are more of an edge case, so there may not be enough demand to justify it"

These are multi sport devices and what the general user needs is for these features to be useful in this context. My explanation might have been overcomplicated but the general user will want his runs to be shared with for instance Runkeeper. Having Mysports send every swim and every gym session to Runkeeper will make this feature ineffective because the runner's friends will start complaining that they get to much offtopic messages, making them disable notifications and effectivaly making the Mysport export useless.

What the general user needs is a way to say (with a simple multiselect dropdown or a small list of checkbox) that only selected activities will have to be exported. Manual upload is a non-sustainable solution.

Can you point me towards another device that offers the functionality you are describing (being able to pick and choose uploads by activity)?
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    ericvrp wrote:

Can you point me towards another device that offers the functionality you are describing (being able to pick and choose uploads by activity)?

No I can not becaue I do not use other devices.
    So if I understand you question correctly you are saying: "Let's not add a nice feature because then we have a better product then the competition". Oh dear! :P
    ericvrp wrote:
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    ericvrp wrote:

No I can not becaue I do not use other devices.
    So if I understand you question correctly you are saying: "Let's not add a nice feature because then we have a better product then the competition". Oh dear! :P

No, I am trying to understand what you are asking for, so I thought you might have another device that does it as an example. But since no other device does it, that is an indication that it is either not as easy as it seems or is not in high enough demand. I have to assume that if it was worth doing, Garmin or one of the bigger players would have done it already. I don't think this is the feature that is going to put TT over the top and make it a superior product to all others, in my opinion.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
    Ok, my apologizies I misunderstood. Did I make it clear what I propose to add? From a user perspective the default behaviour could stay identical. The user will get the option to disable certain activities from being exported to external sites. This to me seems like a nice feature to make the export more friendly. It is not a silver bullet.
  • binobino Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I was searching if that was already suggested before.

I would like to export only certain activity types, like running and cycle to STRAVA.

I don't think it is difficult to implement an option to select what activity type you want to export to a certain external app, the default being all.
    I hate to have to go to STRAVA every time I did a workout to delete the STRAVA activity. Makes no sense.
    This would be nice but Garmin and Suunto do not do it either. Since TT is leaving the wearables market I would not expect to see much in the way of updates beyond bug fixes go forward, so i doubt this will ever happen.
  • binobino Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    If the others don't do it that's an opportunity to differentiate to the better. Some minor details are sometimes important. This one is really simple to implement.

I didn't know TT was quitting the wearable business. They have good sport products, but it's a fact that people buy more "smart watchs" than sports watchs. Maybe TT should have launched also some premium smart watchs... but I guess its too late to make the investment. - or maybe not.
    Thanks for the feedback.