TomTom GO smart satnavs add Wi-Fi®, voice controls and route prediction — TomTom Community

TomTom GO smart satnavs add Wi-Fi®, voice controls and route prediction

MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
Today we announced the next generation navigation devices:

The Smartphone Connected TomTom GO 520 Wi-Fi and TomTom GO 620 Wi-Fi
The Always Connected TomTom GO 5200 Wi-Fi and TomTom GO 6200 Wi-Fi

9d229f92-e724-466f-9e69-076c5fcf79fe.jpg

The TomTom GO Wi-Fi devices run the same NavKit as the previous GO devices, but where they differ is that they are Wi-Fi Capable meaning that not only can the Software Updates, Voices and Speed Cameras be updated directly but you will also be able to update, download and install Maps directly on the device!
Click the spoiler for more information.
ab0700af-d36e-49df-b71b-1e5baed5785b.jpg

Another new feature on the TomTom GO Wi-Fi is support for app notifications. This means that messages on your phone can be displayed and read aloud by the TomTom GO Wi-Fi. This includes SMS Text Messages, What’s App and Facebook Messenger, but also any other app on your Smartphone that gives Notifications. You can choose which apps you wish to receive Notifications from in the MyDrive App.
570286ad-d837-4a65-9ec8-f8dc3197c1b3.jpg

baf5c96a-f577-44ff-a4f0-70439b908185.png

The TomTom GO Wi-Fi is also compatible with Google Now and Siri
Pressing the phone icon on the screen will allow the user to talk to their Smartphone through the TomTom GO Wi-Fi, this is useful if users wish to be reminded of appointments, create reminders, set alarms, make calls, tell you what song is playing or have a question they need quickly answering!
fc3973dc-ac03-433c-9e8f-810888c3e12e.jpg

Connecting a Smartphone for Hands-free, Notifications, Google Now/Siri and in the case of the TomTom GO 520 Wi-Fi and TomTom GO 620 Wi-Fi for TomTom Traffic and Speed Cameras is even easier with the improved MyDrive App.

No Wi-Fi? No Problem! You can connect the TomTom GO Wi-Fi to a PC with the supplied USB cable and the TomTom GO Wi-Fi can use the PCs internet connection in place of Wi-Fi. Updates are still performed on the device and you will receive this message when opening MyDrive Connect:
3fac4739-2f29-48d5-8bda-cea0448dc4b9.png

[h3]What’s in the box:[/h3]
  • TomTom GO Wi-Fi (520/620/5200/6200)
  • Magnetic Click & Go Mount (new design)
  • USB Cable
  • USB Cigarette Lighter Adaptor

[h3]Technical Specifications:[/h3]
  • Internal Memory: 16GB
  • Screen Size:
    5’/13cm = TomTom GO 520 Wi-Fi & TomTom GO 5200 Wi-Fi
    6'/15cm = TomTom GO 620 Wi-Fi & TomTom GO 6200 Wi-Fi
  • Traffic:
    Smartphone Connected Lifetime TomTom Traffic = TomTom GO 520 Wi-Fi & TomTom GO 620 Wi-Fi
    Always Connected Lifetime TomTom Traffic = TomTom GO 5200 Wi-Fi & TomTom GO 6200 Wi-Fi
  • Speed Cams: Lifetime Speed Cameras
  • Maps: Lifetime World Maps
  • SD: Micro SD card slot (up to 32GB)

For more information, please see here and the video below to see the device in action.
[video]

Comments

• Covkid62Covkid62 Posts: 543 [Revered Navigator]
    disappointed with this..yes it has a few new good features but no built in dash cam...won't be parting with my hard earned cash i'm afraid
  • parsd51parsd51 Posts: 183 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Cool :-)

I would like to know if the display resolution is the same as the previous models?
    Is the SIM-card 2G, 3G or 4G?
  • xtraseller-GPSxtraseller-GPS Posts: 23 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    And is the screen BRIGHTER than before?

Also would be helpful for a live video of the unit in use so we could gauge the speed - a brighter screen, notifications, and a decent input speed would be enough for me to switch
  • arichardarichard Posts: 319 [Supreme Navigator]
    I still think of my Go 6100 as the latest "next generation". I hope it will not now be ignored or phased out by the powers that be . . .
  • FandangoFandango Posts: 215 [Supreme Navigator]
    Nice additions and the internal memory capacity has been increased to 16GB. But still not enough for an upgrade from my GO6000... :P
  • Xtraseller-AndXtraseller-And Posts: 35 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    As it is the same "generation" or series of unit, it is usually gets the software upgrades - ie. new alternative route, but won't get the smart notifications, bluetooth calling, wifi upgrades, etc. for obvious reasons (hardware)

Like I said, for me, speed and clarity of display would suffice - but would like to see a real time video rather than animation if possible MikkoK ?
    Oh well, ordered now - lets see how it performs when it arrives
  • bruceybrucey Posts: 167 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    As its the same generation, gives me hope that TT are committed to sorting the POI issue.

Think the extra internal memory will help especially with the maps showing buildings as I suspect this is one of the barriers with regard to displayed POI on driving view.
  • Waszko1980Waszko1980 Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    The software is the same thing so I can not change for now.
    Next fight errors and corrections.
    How will spoil my Go 5000 then mention;)
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    would like to see a real time video rather than animation if possible MikkoK ?
    Unfortunately, what's on the product page (see the end of the announcement) is all there is currently. As soon as something new pop up you'll find it at the official TomTom Youtube channel.

Cheers, Mikko
  • MIBAVMIBAV Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Weirdly my 6000 stopped working 3 days ago..........
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,230 Superusers
    Have you tried support?

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

What stopped working exactly?
    I dropped it, don't think support can help but thanks :) I must've had a feeling a new one was going to be released!!
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,230 Superusers
    Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds. Nothing to lose.
    Tried that and a cold reboot and a restore and reinstalling the maps I think something has become detached inside. Unit works ok connected to PC but when in normal mode it boots and then as soon as it gets a gps fix it locks up and a reboot cycle then starts again
  • doctormichaeldoctormichael Posts: 34 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Will this unit be for the USA also?
  • FroBeFroBe Posts: 54 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Same reflective screens with glare?
    Same suggestions to use minor roads instead of major roads when set to quickest route?
    Limited POI support, and map updates without new roads or closed roads updatet?

WiFi-supports sounds good, and quad core may give you real-time instructions in roundabouts.
  • bigbig Posts: 1,590 Superuser
    Will this unit be for the USA also?
    None of the newest devices are on the US site. I don't quite understand -- the US products do not have world maps, do not have SIM support (yes, I know 2G system phased out in US but that's happening elsewhere too) and apparently the latest devices are not available either. Is TomTom exiting the US market?
  • KlintrupKlintrup Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    On the product page for your devices with WiFi you specify the following:
    We recommend to use a Wi-Fi network with a download speed of at least 30 MB/S, especially when updating maps which can be large downloads.

requiring people to have an internet connection that can handle 250 Mbit/sec download speeds might be a bit excessive, and I'm guessing you mean 30 Mb/s and not 30 MB/s :)

Example page:
    http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/products/go-5200/
  • austinmitchell_un12austinmitchell_un12 Posts: 7 [Legendary Explorer]
    I bought the 5100 a couple of weeks ago. The only useful thing for me in the 5200 would be the wifi connection.

Does the 5100 have wifi hardware? If so, could this feature be turned on with a software update?
  • AritzAritz Posts: 84 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Does the 5100 have wifi hardware? If so, could this feature be turned on with a software update?

No, Go 5100 hasn't wifi at all.
    How do you know the hardware is not there and dormant? If so it is reasonable to assume it could be brought to life with a software update.
  • AritzAritz Posts: 84 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Compare https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/products/GO-5100-europe/#tech-specs and https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/products/go-6200/#tech-specs

I think TT would anounce that feature for 5100 even for advertising. But even that. Note they are now announcing NEW wifi feature on 5200 with great fanfare.

I guess.
    I don't think they would announce it if it was a cheap way of producing "more advanced" new models to force us to upgrade. Have you seen the extra wifi bits inside the cases? How do we mere consumers know what the limitations of current hardware are? Does TomTom have any motivation to get the very best out of existing hardware with good working software as opposed to selling new units?
    MikkoK wrote:
    would like to see a real time video rather than animation if possible MikkoK ?
    Unfortunately, what's on the product page (see the end of the announcement) is all there is currently. As soon as something new pop up you'll find it at the official TomTom Youtube channel.

Cheers, Mikko

Thanks for the reply - have ordered one to try out and will post the results either way when it arrives to either encourage other users to get one, or not as the case may be! Lets hope it delivers on the speed promises at least :P