Phone notifications on Spark

Hiking Mode
Hiking Mode Registered Users Posts: 8
New Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
When will this feature be ready so we can get calls, text and calendar alerts over the watch ?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,952
     Superuser
    When will this feature be ready so we can get calls, text and calendar alerts over the watch ?

They have not given any indication of when it will be available beyond "2016", so they have some time. When it does come I would not expect it to offer anything beyond simple notification of phone calls and texts, with no interaction with the phone (it will likely simply tell you that you have a text or call, the watch has no way to interact with the phone). TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Chris.mitu
    Chris.mitu Registered Users Posts: 31
    Prominent Wayfarer
    I suspect they must be spreading whatever thin development resources between the firmware updates and developing whatever the replacement of the Runner 2/Spark will be.

This has been a source of contention for many months now for anyone who thought they were buying more than a sports watch. I've certainly been very disappointing by the sub-par mobile application and no smartphone notifications.
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    Chris.mitu wrote:
    I suspect they must be spreading whatever thin development resources between the firmware updates and developing whatever the replacement of the Runner 2/Spark will be.

This has been a source of contention for many months now for anyone who thought they were buying more than a sports watch. I've certainly been very disappointing by the sub-par mobile application and no smartphone notifications.

Totally agree. if phone notifications are not going to happen or are going to be significantly delayed they should simply say so and let consumers make their decision as to whether to stay or move on.
  • dpelchat
    dpelchat Registered Users Posts: 48
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Or they're already busy working on their next watch...
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    dpelchat wrote:

I wonder if that one will have phone notifications.
  • Chris.mitu
    Chris.mitu Registered Users Posts: 31
    Prominent Wayfarer
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    dpelchat wrote:

I wonder if that one will have phone notifications.

Phone notifications will follow the release of the Spark 2/Runner 3
  • RR_007
    RR_007 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    dpelchat wrote:

Looks like they have added Spark 3/ Runner 3 as devices for which the following notification is applicable. No timeline still though :(

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21693/p/4062

Text:
    SMARTPHONE NOTIFICATIONS ON SPARK / RUNNER 2

Click here to see which products/categories this applies to.
    Products
    Sports
    Adventurer
    Spark 3
    Runner 3
    Spark
    Runner 2

We are aware that Spark and Runner2 Sports watch users are waiting for a smartphone notification update. Unfortunately, this is taking much longer to deliver than we had anticipated. We are still committed to delivering this feature and we will update you further with more precise timing. Thank you for your patience.
  • cornsnack
    cornsnack Registered Users Posts: 13
    Outstanding Explorer
    2016 now a distant memory. Will we see alerts and notifications on spark 3 in 2017? If so, when?
  • Macard
    Macard Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Im also interested to tomtoms response to this. Is it coming 2017? Please respond to this and if some one is working on it. Thanks.
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    Macard wrote:
    Im also interested to tomtoms response to this. Is it coming 2017? Please respond to this and if some one is working on it. Thanks.

TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.
  • cornsnack
    Outstanding Explorer
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    Macard wrote:

TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.

Not quite right, they made this statement in the past (shown in the thread above) but here again for you: https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21693/p/4062
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    cornsnack wrote:
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    Macard wrote:

Not quite right, they made this statement in the past (shown in the thread above) but here again for you: https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21693/p/4062

That was a press release, I was referring to them commenting on here primarily (should have worded it better). I am not saying I agree with or like it, but that is the way it is. they tend to stay quiet on any development discussions.
  • cornsnack
    Outstanding Explorer
    Cool. It's a shame they haven't followed up on the press release it's a long time overdue...
  • Diegogb
    Diegogb Registered Users Posts: 10
    Outstanding Explorer
    We sure need and update from tomtom regarding this issue, it´s the most requested feature and they advertised it in retail boxes of the product (as a 2015 update!!!!)