Which features will be added in the future to the GO Mobile for iPhone app? - Page 7 — TomTom Community

Which features will be added in the future to the GO Mobile for iPhone app?

Comments

• wheelchairwillwheelchairwill Posts: 28 [Outstanding Explorer]
    dawna622 wrote:
    tomtom needs to add back all the old features that the old app had like, POI's showing on map while driving, all the old color schemes, mapshare updates, The horizon showing at the top of the 3d screen, car symbol choices, The tom computer voice like on the old app, Choice of showing the traffic bar even when no route is planned, Just to name a few. I still have the old app, and really like it. So I'm hoping tomtom will come through with these updates.

I can tell you (having used one of their standalone devices when they first came out with the new line, and then again a while later) they DO have the ability to do exactly that, and to do a nice job of it. The only question is, how long will it take?
  • afconeafcone Posts: 14 [Legendary Explorer]
    I'm starting to think that the reason you get three years of subscription for the new app thrown in for free is that is how long Tomtom expect it to take to get the new app up to the functionality of the old app. As it stands, I prefer the look/layout of the new app but the functionality is sorely lacking, which is very disappointing given that the old app was the best on the market.

What I don't understand is why Tomtom doesn't give an indicative timetable for improvements. We understand that these would not be set dates, that timetables might slip, but it would be good to know whether Tomtom plans to release the next set of improvements (really 'fixes' not 'improvements') in the next few weeks, months or years?
  • ThroySThroyS Posts: 50 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Always love tomtom but this app wasn't beta tested. Doesn't always pick up speed cameras. Losing Gps signal and getting wrong information on route. I would say go back to the old app and just continue work on what's not broken as this app shouldn't be used for daily driver.
  • rob.morabitorob.morabito Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    afcone wrote:
    I'm starting to think that the reason you get three years of subscription for the new app thrown in for free is that is how long Tomtom expect it to take to get the new app up to the functionality of the old app. As it stands, I prefer the look/layout of the new app but the functionality is sorely lacking, which is very disappointing given that the old app was the best on the market.

What I don't understand is why Tomtom doesn't give an indicative timetable for improvements. We understand that these would not be set dates, that timetables might slip, but it would be good to know whether Tomtom plans to release the next set of improvements (really 'fixes' not 'improvements') in the next few weeks, months or years?

The more time passes the more i think that TT lost a lot of developers and now it cannot cope with its iniquitous choice to change the best navigation platform on the market.

They haven't manpower and/or their "historical memory" developers gone.... because there is no reason for this lack of informations. Every "good" company on the market would give timing about next releases:(....Unfortunately i don't see a future
  • Clint989Clint989 Posts: 41 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Wow. Swiping through the NEW features of the latest update (issued today) was exhausting. It took less than 2 seconds. How long has it been since the last update? 2 months? Maybe 3? What has TomTom added in the meantime? Almost nothing...still no WAYPOINTS...i.e. still not a functioning satnav. You haven't even changed the color of the invisible red on grey for traffic delay.

In fact, the sum total of the development in the last few months cannot have taken more than 2 or 3 developer days. I'm guessing that TomTom's entire development team, may now conists of just one person?
  • TomtomByronTomtomByron Posts: 17 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Three months wait just to get new navigation voice options and minor things. What is going on??? How can it take this long to get this app to the level of the old app????
  • PolarMonkPolarMonk Posts: 41 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Stop wondering what TT does all the time, simply stop using TT. They dare to send their customers on a holiday without a decent app, which is a bloody disgrace. They should be ashamed of themselves! TomTom went from market leader to one big joke. And the worst thing is they don't seem to care, which makes me even more angry. I'm on holiday right now with a different app which gives me 110% satisfaction. Which one? Just send me a pm for TT doesn't allow me to mention it here...
  • mstarkeymstarkey Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Enjoying the new app, by far the easiest navigation app to use in the car on mobile phone and particularly good traffic integration.

I also like the average speed function through the cameras although I would prefer it to reset the average speed after each camera is passed if possible rather than keep going until the last camera in the sequence is passed?

Can't understand all the moans above tbh.
    I can't understand that you can't understand it. Do you have ANY experience with earlier TomTom apps, their devices or even other navigation apps? Apparently not. The new TT GO apps misses almost all features that you would expect from a serious PAID-FOR navigation system. And the pace in which they present updates and new features is nothing less but sad. No, it's not a bad app, but it simply lacks far too many functions, even the basic ones. So what's there not to understand? Seriously.
  • dawna622dawna622 Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    I do agree with you that the old tomtom app is much better, with a lot more features. But, I recently spoke with a tomtom representative and he says there are more updates on the way for the new Go mobile app. Plus, there are a few things about the new Go mobile app that are better than the old app. These include, Greater pinpoint accuracy and faster screen refresh rate than the old app. A larger POI database, A larger horizon at the top of the drive screen. Plus a more acurate advanced lane guidance. This new advanced lane guidance waits until you are past the last off ramp before it appears in order to not need split screen feature. Tha old app doesn't have neither split screen or the new design feature. Just the old advanced lane guidance feature. I do actually like the split screen feature though. So anyway try to be patient, Hopefully tomtom will come through with the rest of the old features soon.
  • ThroySThroyS Posts: 50 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    It's really sad though. I was pumped up to try the new app and it's total useless. It's like a bare bone app. Even Apple Map blow it out the water. It's really a sad day when your battery die also as this app drains so much even on the iPhone 6 Plus. I'm confident they will improve the app but last update recently with just minor updates it's a slap in the face
    Sure it will become better in time. But they should have had a fantastic app from the beginning, given TomTom's reputation. And the pace of their updates is still a joke.
  • wheelchairwillwheelchairwill Posts: 28 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought this way, but due to the maturity of the new UI on their standalone devices, and the fact that it LOOKED ABSOLUTELY identical, I figured they would start with that level of functionality as a baseline. I thought it was a (relatively) simple port job.

I think it was an awful choice to call the current update 1.3 instead of 1.2.1. At least then, I wouldn't have got my hopes up...
  • hoeiendaghoeiendag Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Great that it's now possible to set a different language then your phone has. What I do not understand that Tomtom has released this app and then say "not all options are available, but we are working on it". Why do you create a new app (looks good btw) and then not include the features of the old one? I cannot get this, why start from scratch and when it's far from complete introduce it and get a lot of unhappy customers? A new app should be better, not worse. Otherwise there's no need for a new one, apart from the fact that it is now subscription based. I don't mind the subscription model, but I do mind if I get a less functional app.

Still no option to set a limited speed unfortunately. How hard can this be to put it in?
  • Marc KleinMarc Klein Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    On the old app i was able to plan a route. It ins'y there anymore and mydrive won't send it to the app. So put it back please.
  • martin.armstrongmartin.armstrong Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I agree with all the criticisms, which I also have contributed to, about the new app but in fact the ability to plan a route is one of the few things that is also in the new app but in a more rudimentary form. When you do a search, when you have selected an address it is displayed on the map and you have then the option to use it as a starting point and then you can do a second search for the destination and when you click on drive when the destination is marked on the screen it will show the route as if you were starting straight away.
  • Njoh_WillNjoh_Will Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    How about the size of the maps? the previous app was 1.9 GB and the US & Canada map is 5.5 GB that's a lot of space just for 1 app
  • NickkkyNickkky Posts: 8 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Navigate to photos please would be a plus and there seems to be a bit of lagg on the app when taking corners it slows down tremendously that you endure taking the wrong corner or missing it all together.
  • desmayhewdesmayhew Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have an iphone 6s (can't get better currently) and the screen refresh rate is really slow compared to the old app - this was the killer for me. tried for a week and then went back to old app.

Maybe it's familiarity, but the old app just seems so much more user friendly.

3d buildings look nice, but pointless as it is, maybe a feature to reduce down to only major buildings?

Also independent bluetooth controls are needed I like to turn off bluetooth to the tomtom app so that speed camera and other alerts come through the phone and not blast me through the car speakers, while still keeping handsfree calls and music playback via bluetooth. Infact, the only bugbear with the old app was it doesn't save that setting and i have to remember to turn it off every journey.

I hope they keep maintaining the old app.
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 333 [Supreme Pioneer]
    desmayhew wrote:
    Agree, also the old app's GUI is much better - all of the information is permanently on screen so you only have to take your eyes away from the road for a fraction of a second to get the information you want. On the Mobile GO app you have to wait for the information to change to the details that you want.
    desmayhew wrote:
    3d buildings look nice, but pointless as it is, maybe a feature to reduce down to only major buildings?
    I drive mainly rural routes and occasionally towns and villages where 3D buildings aren't shown at all. So as far as I'm concerned the 3D buildings are just bloatware which needs to be cut out or at least give the user the option to have smaller non 3D maps.

I have very occasionally driven in a city where 3D buildings are shown and I find that the 3D buildings are nothing more than a gimmick with no use at all for navigation in fact when you ask your passengers to look at the 3D buildings on the map and then compare them with what's out there in the real world there is a great deal of difference as the 3D buildings aren't even accurate.

TomTom please remove the 3D buildings from the map and concentrate on more accurate maps for driving.
    desmayhew wrote:
    hope they keep maintaining the old app.
    +1
  • jcwackyjcwacky Posts: 39 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    desmayhew wrote:
    Agree, also the old app's GUI is much better - all of the information is permanently on screen so you only have to take your eyes away from the road for a fraction of a second to get the information you want. On the Mobile GO app you have to wait for the information to change to the details that you want.

If there was one change that could be made to TomTom GO, it's getting rid of the stupid alternating remaining time & distance, so that they are both always displayed at the same time. It would be so much clearer and safer.

I've lost count of the number of times I've glanced at the screen to see what I think says "8 min", when in fact, it says "8 mi" and the remaining time is "20 mins". Other times I'm straining at the screen to see if it says "mi" or "min", as even on an iPhone 6 it can be hard to see from arms length while driving, and even then you find yourself staring at the screen waiting for it to change to the metric you are interested in. This is a ridiculous design decision TomTom and it needs to be urgently addressed. I proposed a solution here: https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/tomtom-go-mobile-and-navigation-for-iphoneipad-29/request-display-both-remaining-distance-and-remaining-time-998707

For me, I'm mostly interested in the time remaining, but on longer drives, I also want to see the remaining distance so that I can work out if I need to stop for fuel before my destination.

MOCKUP OF PROPOSED SOLUTION:
    d02eafd8-f33a-4843-a90a-020c5cebd22d.png
  • disarcidisarci Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    waiting for the waypoint (necessary to use thos app), please don't forger the old function:
    stop
    navigation.
    Don't lile to switch off
    the app every stop on route.
    Good job but few bugs still here!
    Regards
    disarci wrote:
    ...please don't forger the old function: stop navigation.
    Don't lile to switch off the app every stop on route.

Agreed! Getting fed up of walking into a service station only for "IN 50 YARDS TURN LEFT" to come blaring from my jeans pocket!

Having to manually quit the whole app is annoying, especially as it takes so long to open again. You can just mute it instead, but this still wastes battery, and as there is no icon on the main navigation screen to notify you when it's muted, I've often already set off by the time I realise it's still muted.
  • aons76aons76 Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I have to agree with much of the above criticism. The bottom line is, this app isn't as useful as the existing TomTom app. There is little about it that improves on the old. The cartoon graphics are not precise. I've missed many turnings because I can't be sure which one to take when they're close to each ither. This rarely happens on the old app. The speed-sensitive zoom is ineffective. I often find myself driving in a 30 zone with the map zoomed ack to show most of the town, with no detail.

Also, when I just want to drive to a town centre, it doesn't seem to allow me to do that. It seems to want me to name a street. I may not know a street name in the town centre, and so I just want to go to the town centre. I'm sure the old app allowed me to do that.

I'm sure the criticism will ease when the functionality and operation of the new app matches that of the old one. Shame on TomTom for releasing an app that regresses the service we pay for.
    aons76 wrote:
    Also, when I just want to drive to a town centre, it doesn't seem to allow me to do that. It seems to want me to name a street. I may not know a street name in the town centre, and so I just want to go to the town centre. I'm sure the old app allowed me to do that.

In the new app, town centres are under "Points of Interest":
    1. Tap Menu
    2. Tap Search
    3. Enter the name of town
    4. Tap on the town in the list
    5. Tap Points of Interest
    6. Tap the name of the town again, the little city icon on the left indicates a town centre.