Can GO Mobile app (iPhone) be used for Walking? — TomTom Community

Can GO Mobile app (iPhone) be used for Walking?

VladSemVladSem Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
Can I use my TomTom go to walking not driving?

Comments

• ShekinahShekinah Posts: 23 [Master Explorer]
    Hi.

If you want to plan a walk then on the main screen tap Menu in the bottom left-hand corner, scroll to the bottom of the screen and tap the 'cogwheel' at the very bottom, tap Route Planning and you can select Walking route.

Be aware - and as far as I know - if you then want to go back to driving, you have to change it back in the same way, it isn't automatic.

Personally don't know any other way to do this, or if it will automatically change or give you an option after parking the car and continuing to your destination.

Generally, If walking in general built-up areas that I don't know very well I sometimes use the Navigon app I have on my iPhone. Off the beaten track MotionX-GPS.

Hope this helps.
  • VladSemVladSem Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks
  • SatNav_UserSatNav_User Posts: 128 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    On the iPad app, you tap on the menu in the top left corner, and then choose Route Options / Find Alternative / Change Route Type / Walking Route. I've used this on occasion for bicycling in the Toronto, Canada, area, with the final choice being "Bicycle Route", but have found the TomTom database lacking. For example, last week I was camping and wanted to ride into the nearest town. TT provides the fastest route by car when set for "Fastest", most of which is along two sides of a rectangle. TT's "Bicycle Route" directs one along the other two sides of the rectangle, where both traffic volume and speed limits are lower, but what TT misses is that there is a dead flat, well-maintained cycling path that crosses the rectangle diagonally. The attached screen shot (data logged and displayed by Scenic Maps Eastern Canada app) shows the cycling route, entirely off-road, from where we started logging to the intersection at the edge of town. TomTom would have one follow the roads. I suspect that this would also be true of walking routes.
    If you do get off the public roads, TomTom will just drop a dashed perpendicular to the nearest one and plan a route from there.
  • ShekinahShekinah Posts: 23 [Master Explorer]
    As an update to my original post for VladSem, it's as SatNav_User says for the iPad as far as I am aware.

It's slightly different for the iPhone app. If the app is set in Settings for driving, plan the route you want to walk, tap on the dotted line at the bottom left of the app, scroll to Current Route, hit Change Route Type, and hit the button on the left of the route type you want. This will then change the route you planned to the type of route you want for that session. Subsequently, when that route is finished and you come to plan your next one, it will automatically default back to the Fastest Route or whichever you chose in Settings originally.

For what it's worth, I still think there are better apps out there for off-road use but I have not had the opportunity to try them out in the last few years. Apps like MotionX and ViewRanger for example - the latter being a UK app with access to maps all over the world (I checked out Canada) - you can look at routes others have used at varying levels of difficulty, and plan on your computer before you leave if you want.

Having done a bit of outdoors stuff through my younger-years - at whichever level you go off-road - planning, preparation and a notification and extraction plan are paramount. That includes knowing 'exactly' where you are and being able to communicate that if necessary.

In my humble opinion, whenever you go off the beaten track, it doesn't take much to get - as the Americans would say - 'turned around' in just a few hundred yards, so an app with good location and communication features for the job in hand may prove better. Obviously I don't believe there is such a thing as preparation overkill when it comes to leaving town comforts!
  • SatNav_UserSatNav_User Posts: 128 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I overlooked the fact that the question was for GO Mobile. I'm still using the old TT Navigation App, so my comments apply to it. I might switch to a subscription-based service if and when TomTom recognizes the value of user contributions to its database and reflects that value in credits against the cost of the service.

(As an aside, in Ontario, Canada, "GO" is the name of our provincially run commuter system consisting of both GO trains and GO buses. GO is the abbreviation of Government of Ontario. The name is slowly transitioning to "Metrolinx" because the network services radiates from the former Metropolitan Toronto, and removing the government identification makes it easier to offload.)
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi SatNav_User,

Users of the old app can get a 3 year Unlimited Navigation licence on the new GO Mobile for free. Please, see

How do I upgrade to Unlimited Navigation on the TomTom GO Mobile app?

Should you run into any problems with this, please contact Customer Service. They can quickly sort it out for you :D

Cheers, Mikko