Naviagtion app (iOS)- Finding USA National Parks problem — TomTom Community

Naviagtion app (iOS)- Finding USA National Parks problem

anthonymawanthonymaw Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hello I just did a road-trip using my TomTom app on an iPhone 6.

While it worked great for the most part, I had a lot of difficulty figuring out how to get to the various United States national parks.

In particular I could NOT figure out how to get TomTom to navigate me to Zion National Park in Utah although it sort-of worked for Bryce Canyon NP.

My first problem was figuring out what type of destination to even specify to begin. For example is it a POI and if so, what kind ???

There's a lot of confusing ambiguous choices to try to look up which I consider a waste of time.

I would expect that if one were to enter the name of a US National Park then the default would be to take you to the most common Visitor's Center address or at least show you a list of popular destinations within the parks.

I mainly use my TomTom app for vacation road trips so it's quite useless if I can't **easily** tell it to take me to my next national park destination.

Thanks.
Anthony Maw, Vancouver, Canada.

Mod edit: Please do not post any personal information on public forum.

Comments

• lampardlampard Posts: 4,095 TomTom Moderator
    HI Anthony,

Sorry for the delay in response!

The options in an old app to search a POI is quite limited to City/Home/Nearby area you reside in which indeed makes it a quite difficult to find the places sometimes.

We have improved the POI search in our new GO Mobile app , you can find all the POI's in your map if you search for a particular POI category. If you type 'National park' in the search window then the whole map is searched and suggestions based on what you have entered are shown. See the more information here: Planning a route to a POI using search

I can advise you to give it a try for Go Mobile app (you can download it for free) and see if it suits the way you want to navigate. We are working hard to release updates of the app in the future, and we aim to introduce additional features with each update.

Regards,
    lampard
    Help others find useful content by clicking the like button and selecting the best answer to your question! You can check out our Knowledge Base and find the best comments on the Community here.
    Most important of all, have fun and be kind to one another!

• anthonymawanthonymaw Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    thanks again Iampard.

Since the destination data is already in the 2GB TomTom app database, why can't TomTom just make it searchable in the UI?

It doesn't seem like a big programming challenge - I work in a software development firm that also does iOS data driven apps.

I bought the TomTom iOS app (and it was quite expensive as far as apps go) a few years ago for the express purpose of wanting to use it off-line to avoid roaming data access

(I live in Canada and using roaming mobile data in the USA is quite expensive).

Can you forward this request to your dev team for an future update?

I'm sure I'm not the only customer who finds the app to be frustratingly difficult to use from that perspective.

Thanks.
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,095 TomTom Moderator
    Hi Anthony,

Thank you, Anthony, Consider it forwarded :)

And I would also like to throw caution toward any expected improvements on this, as the old app is no longer being updated regularly. Have you tried with the new Go Mobile app?

As you already have the old app, you'll receive a free upgrade to the new TomTom GO Mobile app soon. This upgrade includes a three-year subscription to Unlimited Navigation. Keep the app installed on your device to be notified, inside the app, when the free upgrade becomes available. You'll only need the data connection for getting the Traffic and Speed camera update, the navigation is free since the map is offline.

Please feel free to post your experience with the new app.

Regards,
    lampard
    Help others find useful content by clicking the like button and selecting the best answer to your question! You can check out our Knowledge Base and find the best comments on the Community here.
    Most important of all, have fun and be kind to one another!

• SatNav_UserSatNav_User Posts: 128 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Anthony's question piqued my interest, and I decided to ask my TomTom app to plan a trip for me to Zion National Park. I see the issue—for both POI's (within the database on the device) and "Places" (which requires an internet connection) I need to know the nearest city. I tried Salt Lake City, the only Utah city I know, but TomTom doesn't recognize "Zion" anything in Salt Lake City.
    I've run into this problem before, where sometimes TomTom cannot find a POI unless one enters the right city, even though you may be entering a correct municipality, just not the (also correct) one that is in the TomTom database. (i.e. the location may be recorded as a locally recognized or postal name or alternatively as a larger governmental administrative name).
    I have no idea how the algorithm for "POI Near Me" works, but would it be possible for the TomTom developers to add a button and a similar algorithm to "Expand the search area", but centred on the "POI in City" instead of "POI Near Me"?

Anthony states, "There's a lot of confusing ambiguous choices to try to look up which I consider a waste of time." I, on the other hand, appreciate the wealth of choices. I regularly use Address, POI, People, Recent Destination, Point on Map, Coordinates, and Places, while ignoring Events, Copied Address, and Photo.