VIA- No Street Names in 2D — TomTom Community

VIA- No Street Names in 2D

I've compiled a list of threads complaining about the lack of street names when using north up 2D mode (the green sign at the top of screen that tells you upcoming turn). If you have the newest version of software and use North up, you will experience this bug on (at least) GO devices and VIA devices as I have. The functionality was there with the older software and there is no reason to remove it, so it has to be a glitch with the software. The street names work with rotating 3D view just for clarification.

Tomtom, please review the threads and respond so that we know you are working on the issue. It would be nice to have it fixed for Fall maps.

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/GO-800-1000-2000-Via-Start-20/Current-street-name-next-turn-name-and-auto-zoom-missing/td-p/114925/page/3

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/GO-800-1000-2000-Via-Start-20/Street-names-lost-in-2D-view-after-updating-to-11-03/td-p/157349/page/2

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/GO-800-1000-2000-Via-Start-20/Current-Street-name-No-long-shown-in-2D-Guidance-mode/td-p/276881

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/GO-800-1000-2000-Via-Start-20/No-next-street-name-in-2D-nav-since-navcore-11-0-30/td-p/190899

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/GO-800-1000-2000-Via-Start-20/After-mandatory-update-on-April-15-2012-2D-Map-malfunctions/td-p/216193

Comments

• DitteDitte Posts: 7,280 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Peelnout,

Thank you for listing these threads. I'll make sure they're all forwarded for consideration.
    I can't make any promises though.

Thanks again,
    Ditte
  • MtnRanchMtnRanch Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just bought a 2535 and discoverd this bug. 

This has beenn known for long enough that by now it should have been fixed.  What's happening?

Not knowing the next street name is a serious flaw.  Even worse when you include the fact that most street names are omitted in 2D mode.
  • ScottyTScottyT Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Is this fixed yet? I agree with the above: this is a very serious (unforgivable in a GPS unit) flaw.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,960 Superusers
    Hi

If you want street names use 3D or 2D rotate in direction of travel.

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    Changing viewing modes is not a fix.  It's a workaround for a serious flaw and not a very good one at that.  The problem with 3D is that the screen distortion leaves little room for useful information.  The problem 2D with direction of travel up is that you lose the information about direction of travel.  I already know that I'm going forward,  I need to know whether I'm going North, South, etc.  2D with North up gives me the most information about where I am and what direction I'm headed.  Unfortunately this is the mode that doesn't work.

TomTom obviously knows how to make this work, they've had it working on these models and it still works on older models. The only reason for TomTom not fixing this is that they already have our money so there is no financial incentive for them to spend any time on this one.  For me this is a good reason not to recommend TomTom and not to buy TomTom again. 

Be sure to tell your friends about TomTom's lack of support for software bugs.
  • ScottyTScottyT Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I agree whole-heartedly. TomTom's customer service pales in comparison to Garmin's.

I might need to tweet this discussion to get some attention.
  • JemhadarJemhadar Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    MtnRanch wrote:
    Changing viewing modes is not a fix.  It's a workaround for a serious flaw and not a very good one at that.  The problem with 3D is that the screen distortion leaves little room for useful information.  The problem 2D with direction of travel up is that you lose the information about direction of travel.  I already know that I'm going forward,  I need to know whether I'm going North, South, etc.  2D with North up gives me the most information about where I am and what direction I'm headed.  Unfortunately this is the mode that doesn't work.

TomTom obviously knows how to make this work, they've had it working on these models and it still works on older models. The only reason for TomTom not fixing this is that they already have our money so there is no financial incentive for them to spend any time on this one.  For me this is a good reason not to recommend TomTom and not to buy TomTom again. 

Be sure to tell your friends about TomTom's lack of support for software bugs.

Seriously. Now 3 years later... How is this not resolved yet?! Everything you said in first paragraph is why this is so important and should be fixed!