Spark- Static tethered swimming — TomTom Community

Spark- Static tethered swimming

KC73KC73 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
I'm doing static swimming training using a tether in a small pool. Any recommendations about the best settings to use? I thought I could get it to count my strokes but it only seems to want to count strokes per length and it seems to count a new length every time I take a pause. Obviously I can do time but any old stop watch can do that. Any tips about how to get the best out of it?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,834 Superusers
    KC73 wrote:
    I'm doing static swimming training using a tether in a small pool. Any recommendations about the best settings to use? I thought I could get it to count my strokes but it only seems to want to count strokes per length and it seems to count a new length every time I take a pause. Obviously I can do time but any old stop watch can do that. Any tips about how to get the best out of it?

I am not sure how well it will work for you as swim mode is looking to count the number of lengths, based on sharp movements of the arms at the end of each length to indicate a turn. Since you have no turns it has nothing to count (total strokes may be available in My Sport as a metric after the fact but not during the activity). You are really an edge case outside of the design parameters of the watch so i am not sure there is really much of a workaround for what you need.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • KC73KC73 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The calories burned could be a way of measuring maybe - though not sure how it is calculating. I just swam for 35 mins a fairly fast front crawl and it says I burned 156 calories which seems low. my fitness pal calculates that sort of work out more like 300 cals...?
    KC73 wrote:
    The calories burned could be a way of measuring maybe - though not sure how it is calculating. I just swam for 35 mins a fairly fast front crawl and it says I burned 156 calories which seems low. my fitness pal calculates that sort of work out more like 300 cals...?

It is using METs for calories since it does not use the HR so it is basing it on pace, which is going to look at lengths, so that will probably not work for you either.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
    OK, so I've had a look at my activity on the web app and it does seem to have calculated my average strokes per minute. From that I can calculate my total strokes (strokes per minute x minutes swum) and because I know how many strokes I generally swim per length (37 per 33m length), I can then work out the distance I have swum (total strokes / 37 x 33). Then, using a METs calculator I can work out how many calories I have burned and manually edit the session. Does that sound right? It also seems to know my speed and doesn't recalcuate this when I change the distance swum so I'm not sure how it is working this out, though it seems to be fairly accurate when I compare the distance swum that I've worked out in the time. Thanks for the help.

Is this the best way to get the best out of the Spark when static/ resistance swimming? Is there any way to use the manually entered stats to calculate things like SWOLF?
    KC73 wrote:
    OK, so I've had a look at my activity on the web app and it does seem to have calculated my average strokes per minute. From that I can calculate my total strokes (strokes per minute x minutes swum) and because I know how many strokes I generally swim per length (37 per 33m length), I can then work out the distance I have swum (total strokes / 37 x 33). Then, using a METs calculator I can work out how many calories I have burned and manually edit the session. Does that sound right? It also seems to know my speed and doesn't recalcuate this when I change the distance swum so I'm not sure how it is working this out, though it seems to be fairly accurate when I compare the distance swum that I've worked out in the time. Thanks for the help.

Is this the best way to get the best out of the Spark when static/ resistance swimming? Is there any way to use the manually entered stats to calculate things like SWOLF?

It sounds like you have worked it out as best you can under the circumstances. You will have to do some work on your own as static swimming is not an intended use of the watch. It reduces some of the metrics when you edit activities, I am surprised the speed does not change as it does for running. SWOLF you would also need to figure out for yourself.

Last question! If it knows my speed, can I then use the speed zone setting in the training programs?
    Oh, I don't seem to have 'zones' as an option on the watch I have. Never mind - sorry. Thanks for all your help.
  • Krzysiek17Krzysiek17 Posts: 51 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    By the way - what happens when instead of choosing swimming I will choose running (of course I'll be doing swimming)?
    Will it track my swimming distance? Will the GPS work?
    What about HR sensor? I know it can't work properly in the water.

Thanks for replay!
    :)
    Krzysiek17 wrote:
    By the way - what happens when instead of choosing swimming I will choose running (of course I'll be doing swimming)?
    Will it track my swimming distance? Will the GPS work?
    What about HR sensor? I know it can't work properly in the water.

Thanks for replay!
    :)

GPS does not work under water so your distance will be off for open water swimming if you do it in run mode, plus you will not get any swim metrics. The watch does not support open water swimming using GPS, it is for pools only. Supporting open water swimming is much more complicated than pool swimming (which involves counting strokes and figuring out the stroke length). GPS cannot be detected underwater so it would need to time the GPS signal attainment with the split second the watch is above water on each stroke (assuming you are doing a stroke that brings your arms out of the water). What most users who want open water swimming do is to use freestyle mode and put the watch in their cap or on a safety buoy behind them so it stays out of the water. You will then get distance but will lose swim specific metrics, however. You will also get HR in freestyle, but its accuracy may be off as it struggles more underwater (which is why it is not active in swim mode, the failure rate is above acceptable limits). It is worth a try to see if it works for you.
  • Van EkkVan Ekk Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Recommend:
    Is there any chance of an update to allow for static swimming without laps.
    Adding the counting of the number of strokes & speed within session/time frame, like a basic pedometer.

Is far as I can see, there is no way of measuring any static swimming. My guess is that there is no way of measuring the distance without a length of a pool.
    - The 'spl' & 'swolf' require laps & length.

+ Only readings i get are obtained with freestyle, while backstroke DOES NOT REGISTER AT ALL.

Therefore can there be an update for static swimming and why backstroke does not register.
    There is no way to measure distance without laps as it is simply counting laps x length to get distance. Since yours is the first time this has ever been asked for and swimming is the least used function on the watch and has never been updated, I highly doubt you will see any change here. add to that the fact that TT is leaving the wearables market and not producing any new devices and i would say the chances are nil, unfortunately. You are going to have to live with it the way it is.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Van EkkVan Ekk Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for the reply. Yes considering that there will not be any further development of TT wearables, what more can be said.

I can only see that purchasing a heart rate monitor band to record my heart rate whilst static swimming will be the only way to improve my measurement of my swimming trainning. But I'm not sure if I want to risk spending further money just to find out more limits from the device.

In conclusion I'm regreating changing over from Fitbit to TT due to the limited swimming application and in my case poor sleep measurment and display compared to FB. But all brands have limitations.

Thanks for the reply again.
    Van Ekk wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. Yes considering that there will not be any further development of TT wearables, what more can be said.

I can only see that purchasing a heart rate monitor band to record my heart rate whilst static swimming will be the only way to improve my measurement of my swimming trainning. But I'm not sure if I want to risk spending further money just to find out more limits from the device.

In conclusion I'm regreating changing over from Fitbit to TT due to the limited swimming application and in my case poor sleep measurment and display compared to FB. But all brands have limitations.

Thanks for the reply again.

A heart rate band will not do you any good as they do not work underwater. BT travels less than 1 cm under water so the watch will not read it. If you got one that caches the data for later syncing it will work, but not with the TT watch (they are proprietary to the company - either Garmin or Polar).