Camper map devices? — TomTom Community

Camper map devices?

WillumnWillumn Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
edited January 29 in Travel lounge
Which satnav should I buy to get a larger screen and the facility to input vehicle sizes INCLUDING lifetime updates on Europe maps?
I don't want to have to keep renewing map licences/fees during the lifetime of the unit.
I'm not really bothered about lists of campsites/aires/stopovers, etc but if they come as part of the deal, fine.
Will

Comments

• justbrowsingjustbrowsing Posts: 3,094 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Willumn wrote:
    Which satnav should I buy to get a larger screen and the facility to input vehicle sizes INCLUDING lifetime updates on Europe maps?
    I don't want to have to keep renewing map licences/fees during the lifetime of the unit.
    I'm not really bothered about lists of campsites/aires/stopovers, etc but if they come as part of the deal, fine.
    Will
    You will need to buy a subscription (currently a good deal @ £60 for 18 months of updates) of the map https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/maps-services/shop/travel-map/europe-camper/ and of course a compatible device:-
    GO 1005
    GO 1015
    GO 1015 LIVE
    GO 1050
    GO 2050
    GO 2050LIVE
    GO 2505 TM
    GO 2535
    GO LIVE 820
    GO LIVE 825
    START 20
    START 25
    START 60 (2012)
    VIA 110 LIVE
    VIA 115 LIVE
    VIA 120
    VIA 120 LIVE
    VIA 125
    VIA 125 LIVE
    VIA 130
    VIA 130 LIVE
    VIA 135
    VIA 135 LIVE
    VIA 1400
    VIA 1405
    VIA 1500
    VIA 1505
    VIA 1535 LIVE
    VIA 160
    VIA 1605 TM
    VIA 180
    VIA 260
    VIA 280
    VIA 620
    which do offer lifetime map updates for free but NOT for the extra/purchased MAP OF EUROPE - CAMPER
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,061 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Willumn wrote:
    Look into the Garmin Camper 760LMT-D 7 inch Sat Nav - Europe.
    tgold wrote:
    Willumn wrote:

Shame on you Tony! Wash your mouth out:)
  • WillumnWillumn Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    tgold wrote:
    Willumn wrote:

Shame on you Tony! Wash your mouth out:)
    ............ and certainly NOT after I read the reviews. Almost as bad as the Sn**per that I had - and sent back!
    Will
    Willumn wrote:
    Will
    You will need to buy a subscription (currently a good deal @ £60 for 18 months of updates) of the map https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/maps-services/shop/travel-map/europe-camper/ and of course a compatible device:-
    GO 1005
    GO 1015.....................//
    ....................................//
    VIA 260
    VIA 280
    VIA 620
    which do offer lifetime map updates for free but NOT for the extra/purchased MAP OF EUROPE - CAMPER
    Thanks for that. I guess the question that follows is:
    Will the 'non-standard vehicle' function still work if the CAMPER maps are not updated but the normal Europe maps kept current?
    I say this with the impression that the 'Camper' maps would appear to be mainly an option of offering ADAC/Bord Atlas/whatever campsite info.
    Will
    Willumn wrote:
    Thanks for that. I guess the question that follows is:
    Will the 'non-standard vehicle' function still work if the CAMPER maps are not updated but the normal Europe maps kept current?
    I say this with the impression that the 'Camper' maps would appear to be mainly an option of offering ADAC/Bord Atlas/whatever campsite info.
    Will

The camper map can be set for your campers dimensions regarding road restrictions etc to plan suitable routes which are not available on "normal" maps and do not just incl campsites etc
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,564 Superuser
    @Willumn

Please give Customer Services a call and ask them the same question.
    This is to log the fact that none of the "New" NAV4 devices support "camper" maps :(

CS United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
    Help others identify useful content :-
    If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍
    If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
    Niall wrote:
    @Willumn

This is to log the fact that none of the "New" NAV4 devices support "camper" maps :(

CS United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    I will.
    I will also try and get an answer to the question I really want answered, ie, what happens to the accuracy/functionality if lifetime updates are part of the deal and 'Camper' maps are installed - but out of date.
    I don't travel in Europe every year - most, but not every year. The years that I don't, I want to know what happens to the vehicle size/weight input side of it. Obviously, out of date maps will affect the accuracy of the calculation of a route where the vehicle characteristics have an effect - but does the whole 'Camper' system cease to function and revert to 'Car'.
    Will
    Willumn wrote:
    I will also try and get an answer to the question I really want answered, ie, what happens to the accuracy/functionality if lifetime updates are part of the deal and 'Camper' maps are installed - but out of date.
    I don't travel in Europe every year - most, but not every year. The years that I don't, I want to know what happens to the vehicle size/weight input side of it. Obviously, out of date maps will affect the accuracy of the calculation of a route where the vehicle characteristics have an effect - but does the whole 'Camper' system cease to function and revert to 'Car'.
    Will
    If/as/when you want or need to update (buy) a later version of the Camper map (after your initial 18 months) then all your previous settings/dimensions/routes etc will be saved into the new camper map. What you would normally do is run the standard UK or Europe map most of the time (with your free quarterly issues) then "switch maps" to the Camper map for your holidays etc.
    Willumn wrote:
    Niall wrote:
    @Willumn

CS United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    I will.
    Will
    Interesting conversation with Tom Tom CS. The guy seemed very knowledgeable.
    All the following is my understanding of the discussion. If you are unsure of anything, or there is anything you are concerned about: RING THEM!! - and Caveat Emptor!!!!!!!
    First. As Niall said: The newer Nav4 systems CANNOT accept the 'Camper' maps and Tom Tom do not currently have a satnav in production that can. :?
    Next. Of the satnavs that can accept 'Camper' maps: they continue to function normally with 'Camper' maps installed and if 'lifetime updates' is part of the deal, then that continues to function as well.
    However: 'Camper' maps will not be updated with the lifetime updates that came with the original satnav. They remain as per the latest you installed with your 'Camper' map deal, unless you purchase an update deal. All functions of the size/weight input side of it will be OK - but you will be navigating a camper (truck-type vehicle?) on out of date info if you try and use it when it's out of date, eg: if someone builds a low bridge after the update expires, you'll find it en-route.
    I would assume that any of the 'Camper' related info (POIs for campsites, etc) will go out of date in the same way. I didn't ask that particular, finer point.
    Finally: The better bit - Being a Tom Tom registered owner, I was offered a 25% discount............... which may just swing me in the direction of the Trucker as an option:8
    Will