Bluetooth microphone support? — TomTom Community

Bluetooth microphone support?

ZxanthionZxanthion Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
Hi,

While I'm enjoying the camera video footage, I'm having issues connecting a microphone via bluetooth. Is this a feature or is it even planned to be one in the future?

I'm using it on a helmet for my motorcycle & attaching via cable would, I imagine, render it non-waterproof thus being unsuitable.

Thanks.

Comments

• gl00gl00 Posts: 965 [Revered Pioneer]
    there is not BT support for microphone as of now.
    That would be an interesting function to add though, considering how current mic placement is not so great regarding wind noise.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    The TomTom Bandit is equipped with Bluetooth Smart, also known as Bluetooth Low Energy (LE), this is primarily for connecting to the Bandit remote and the Heart Rate monitor. It's an interesting idea, to use the Bluetooth connection for microphones, I will pass the feedback on to the team.
  • ZxanthionZxanthion Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Thanks.

It's really good to see feedback is being taken on board.

I'll keep an eye out for any updates.
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Master Traveler]
    I would love to hear this update also. I plan to vlog once I get a microphone so a Bluetooth would be better
    the-civvie wrote:
    I would love to hear this update also. I plan to vlog once I get a microphone so a Bluetooth would be better

There's probably a lot of moto vloggers would rather use this instead of other brands due to it being a lot more aerodynamic & easier to use.
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Master Traveler]
    Zxanthion wrote:
    the-civvie wrote:

There's probably a lot of moto vloggers would rather use this instead of other brands due to it being a lot more aerodynamic & easier to use.

Yes, I prefer the Bandit over my old GoPro. With the Gopro it was like having a brick on your head, the Bandit is so much more streamlined
    I had a friend say similar at the start of the week. It was my main reason for getting the bandit but I just automatically assumed a mic would be suitable for bluetooth once I saw it was a feature. I have learned never to assume.
  • fearoffishfearoffish Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I use it for Moto Vlogging too. There's an external mic feature that is designed for exactly this, I think. However, read my thread on that before thinking you're sorted. It's like having mic boost cranked up to 1000%, it's distorted and unusable. TomTom clearly never tested audio of any sorts before going on sale.
    fearoffish wrote:
    I use it for Moto Vlogging too. There's an external mic feature that is designed for exactly this, I think. However, read my thread on that before thinking you're sorted. It's like having mic boost cranked up to 1000%, it's distorted and unusable. TomTom clearly never tested audio of any sorts before going on sale.

I did have a look at your thread. It's either obnoxious wind noise or obnoxious mic boost. Between that & the hassle it would be if it started raining mid journey (Scottish weather we're talking about here), I'm not sure it's even worth the bother. I'll hold off for now & see if anything comes of this feedback.
  • BikerRobBikerRob Posts: 29 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    It's nice for you to recommend this feature to the team. I made this suggestion (connecting a bluetooth mic) almost a year ago. Still no development!!! I bought mine a year ago because I love the design and the idea behind this Bandit. As for my motorvlogging it's absolutly useless. I hate the idea of going back to GoPro.
  • ReprobateReprobate Posts: 30 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Chris wrote:
    The TomTom Bandit is equipped with Bluetooth Smart, also known as Bluetooth Low Energy (LE), this is primarily for connecting to the Bandit remote and the Heart Rate monitor. It's an interesting idea, to use the Bluetooth connection for microphones, I will pass the feedback on to the team.

This issue of helmet microphones is killing the product buzz for me. The external microphone cable you offer for the camera is WAY TOO LONG. You do not offer a quality microphone like GO PRO does. A short lead to a quality microphone would be ideal as would a rechargeable blue tooth unit. This helmet microphone oversight along with the limited application features on android phones is really denting your stance in the market. Please fix this!
  • Kaippari_goKaippari_go Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Would it be possible to add BT profile so that Bandit could be paired with helmet comms systems like Sena etc..

??
  • Frenzy382Frenzy382 Posts: 33 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Oh...that would be great. I use a starcom1 intercom in my rally car and it has Bluetooth. +1 from me.
  • JaaksJaaks Posts: 18 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    BT mike support would be a cool feature and then also being able to manually adjust mic gain.
  • Wide_DogWide_Dog Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Bluetooth would be ideal for those of use that want to use the port for power.
    Or........What about a split lead that has a USB power tail and a microphone tail? or is that a stupid question??
  • Frenzy382Frenzy382 Posts: 33 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Wide_Dog wrote:
    Bluetooth would be ideal for those of use that want to use the port for power.
    Or........What about a split lead that has a USB power tail and a microphone tail? or is that a stupid question??

definitely not a stupid question...some of us have asked for this previously. Never got a direct response back though.
    :(
  • JP_RAVENJP_RAVEN Posts: 15 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Yes, I also use a Bluetooth intercom (Interphone F5) which can be linked to other devices. It would be fantastic if TomTom could consider this option.

It would be even better if TomTom regularly read these posts and at least acknowledged these product enhancement suggestions from their customers and at least provided some feedback as to whether the suggested idea is possible or being considered...
    Bluetooth connectivity or a short wired microphone would be the fix Tomtom. This idea is rampant all over the your site here and nothing is being said by Tomtom. Come on! Love the product, this is killing it for me and so many others though.
  • NunquamNunquam Posts: 49 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I understand Go Pro can be connected to a blue tooth mic. Are there plans for a similar connection for the Tom Tom bandit camera ? The wires to the mic are too long and an inconvenience and wind noise still a significant problem at speed.
    This is precisely what I am getting at. Bluetooth would be great but if not possible because it is LE format then a shorter corded lead and a quality mic would be spectacular!
  • NunquamNunquam Posts: 49 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    If I do a European trip next year I would like to use a mic that works well with the bandit action camera . Can Tom Tom or any one else suggest the best mic? the main problem, as all know, is wind noise at speed. Or do I have to go down the sena/bluetooth/gopro route ? Or even the new Sena bluetooth helmet, when it comes out ? If there were a reasonable priced mic, presumably omnidirectional without yards of cord and one that makes speech intelligible at speed then, I would not have to spend the one or two k to change the set up. Can Tom Tom advise me?
    Nunquam is asking the very same valid question so many of us dedicated users have been for so long with no answers!