Charging while recording — TomTom Community

Charging while recording

Frenzy382Frenzy382 Posts: 33 [Outstanding Explorer]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Bandit Action Camera
Can anyone give me some insight as to the powering of the Bandit?

Due to the length of time I need the Bandit on, I will be needing to power this externally. So...I'll be using the external plug, that will feed into a 5v psu etc...
Does the Bandit actually charge, whilst it's powered on and filming, or does it just utilise the external power and the battery is not utilised...therefore basically, no battery consumption.

Has anyone experienced any issues with external power and filming? I've also a Sony action cam, and that is a bit of a mess when using external power. It can't get enough juice in it (when using the recommended psu) and it gradually discharges the battery and then switches off....and yes, that's when plugged into an external power supply!!!

thanks.

Comments

• ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Frenzy382, the Bandit will still charge when recording if connected to a Battery Cable, the rate of charging will be slower or course.
  • Frenzy382Frenzy382 Posts: 33 [Outstanding Explorer]
    perfect...thanks. As long as it doesn't deplete the battery and come to a grinding halt like the Sony does, then I'm happy.
  • mjarnomjarno Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    In case of charging on the wall, is there any problem of using a charger of 5V. I am asking because the battery says it works with 3.7V so it may cause problems.
  • JaaksJaaks Posts: 18 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I have used the Bandit for extended periods in my vehicle while it was connected to the charging cable. It recorded for many hours while driving with no problems. Except for the memory card filling up, but I reduced resolution and that is now solved and I can get many hours on my 64Gb microSD card.
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Master Traveler]
    Will the lead keep the Bandit going or will it eventually die away? I ask because one of my batteries is with CS in Ireland now for almost a month :(
  • gl00gl00 Posts: 965 [Revered Pioneer]
    I've filmed with the bandit plugged on an external source for hours: even if the batteries are not full on the bandit, the external source will charge the battstick while filming, then when the external source is depleted, the battstick will be used.

Plugging/unplugging the external source doesn't stop the recording, so you could actually even change the external battery if you wish and film for as long as the SD card allows you to like this!