MY FIRST TEST WITH EXTERNAL MIC ON MOTORBIKE - TOMTOM BANDIT — TomTom Community

MY FIRST TEST WITH EXTERNAL MIC ON MOTORBIKE - TOMTOM BANDIT

BanditFiliBanditFili Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Bandit Action Camera
Hello Everyone!
unfortunately I don't have too much experience but anyway I would like to share with you my first video test using Bandit Studio.
It's a test ride made with my Suzuki GSR 600 and an external mic connected to the camera.
For the external mic I can tell you all that I purchased a normal jack stereo mic, total spent: 10 € :-) .
I fixed the mic with some adhesive tape near the exhaust system (GPR Ghost). The mic wire passed under the seat, so without disturbing the ride and the rider (me), and the wind noise has been completely removed giving space to the only engine sound.

I took a video in:
1080p, 60 fps;

Normal screen;
Scene mode: AUTO.

ENJOY AND SHARE YOUR OPINION AND QUESTIONS!!
[video]https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4iwvgu[/video]
PS: sorry about the speed but it was in order to test the engine/exhaust and situation noises.

Cheers!
Filippo

Comments

• the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Apprentice Traveler]
    That proves that the new firmware works at any speed. And no need to apologise for the speed, one must do these things to test well :cool:
  • BanditFiliBanditFili Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Eheheh :):):):)
    I actually don't know about the firmware, I guess that's different from using an external mic :) I should test it with the incorporated mic to find out any possible difference :)
  • Frenzy382Frenzy382 Posts: 33 [Outstanding Explorer]
    i like your testing.....:)
    it would be an interesting comparison between internal and external mic, although the location of the sound will be different as it will be from wherever the camera is and not where you had the external mic located. However, it will definitely be a good test for wind noise and high noise levels in general.
    Good luck with your necessary high speed testing:)
    High speed testing :):):) i like that :):):) by the way, I had small test when the camera has been in my hand the first time, but the sound was killed by wind noise over 40km/h; then the vibrations of the grey rotating support were definitely hateful!! Anyway it seems there is an update, I'll update my bandit and then I'll try!
    Filippo
  • AlienwareAlienware Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Filippo,

I use my Bandit to record engine noise while on trackdays etc. I haven't tried the Bandit with the latest firmware yet..... Its good to hear that the bandit is capable of recording clear engine sound without distorting. All the sessions I've recorded so far, the audio has been unusable.

I was planning on putting the External microphone inside the rear tail section out of the wind as its not to far from the exhaust. You mention your microphone is tapped near the exhaust... Whereabouts did you place it? or if you have a picture would be great.

Chris.
    Hello Chris!!!!
    Here you go some photos of the mic I purchased, and also of the positions where I putted it.
    Finally, also a support for the camera 100% hand made by me :):):)
  • AlienwareAlienware Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Filipo,

That's great thanks very much for the pictures. Based on your pictures I will now try and replicate the results you got.

Cheers Chris.
    Sure Chris! And please share them, I'm curious too! :)
    Anyway I guess any place protected from wind should be okay! In my opinion you can also put the mic behind the windshield, it depends on what kind of sound you prefer to listen!

CHEERS! :)
    Filippo