Map Share reporter delays

spook68spook68 Posts: 86 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
edited January 25 in Archived Discussions
Has anyone any idea how long it take TomTom to update maps with changes that are reported through Map Share Reporter? One example I reported was a speed limit change. I even sent a photo showing the new speed sign. This was back in July and it still hasn't been changed on the Tom Tom even though theres a new map update nearly every time I turn on the laptop. Its not helping anyone at all by taking so long to update the maps.

Comments

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 35,979 Superusers
    6 to 9 months usually for certain changes. Some are distributed quicker, via the daily corrections, some might take longer.
  • spook68spook68 Posts: 86 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Has that changed. When I first got my TomTom, changes were really quick.
    As I said, certain changes are in, in a matter of days, but more complex changes can take 6-9 months.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,473 Superuser
    @spook68
    At least with your NAV3 device, you can apply the same changes via your device and they are imdiate, but with the latest NAV4 devices you have to wait for TT to decide that they agreee with you before they are shared with you and the community
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button :thumb_up:
    If someone answered your question? Answer yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • spook68spook68 Posts: 86 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I'm using a Start 25 LM so have to wait for TomTom. Some of these were accepted months ago. There are admittedly a couple of complex ones but the majority were nice simple speed changes or turn restriction etc
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,473 Superuser
    @spook68
    If you apply the speed changes and the turn restrictions to your START 25LM directly(link to manual
    PS You will have to re-apply the updates to the next realease of the maps (v9.60)
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button :thumb_up:
    If someone answered your question? Answer yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • SnoeckSnoeck Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hello,
    My experience is that it can take more than two years before a correction is made.
    I would be very happy to hear from the persons in charge.
    Regards
  • davahaddavahad Posts: 67 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Snoeck wrote:
    Hello,
    My experience is that it can take more than two years before a correction is made.
    I would be very happy to hear from the persons in charge.
    Regards

I submitted one change almost 29 months ago and still not corrected.
  • AritzAritz Posts: 84 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    TT should bring back the option to apply the corrections instantly to your own device.
  • GMichalkGMichalk Posts: 11 [Outstanding Explorer]
    The feature of being able to apply the corrections instantly on your own device was a bonus on the older devices such as 730, 930 etc but came with one big negative. Having spent great effort on effecting the corrections, the very next map release "washed away" all your personal corrections thereby negating the effort.
    As someone who submitted 1000+ corrections to TT Australian maps and then find that a high majority did not percolate through to subsequent map versions I have become disillusioned with TT management of map changes.
    I have outstanding changes from 5+ years ago that have not yet been effected. In a number of cases I have resubmitted specific changes 20 or more times via TT and/or Whereis over 5 years with the errors still outstanding.
    TT's MapShare technology is highly flawed in its current implementation and shows little sign of improvement. Even recently I submitted urgent changes, eg the intersection of Pennant Hills Rd and Marsden Rd, Carlingford NSW that TT is claimed to be blocked but isn't, with a Tick being shown on the MapShare site but with no resolution of the problem.
    TT has a serious amount of work ahead and the deployment of associated resources to meet the promise of delivering an effective MapShare solution.
  • AritzAritz Posts: 84 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    What you mention is indeed a point against. Still, I think it's better to apply the changes to the map immediately and then delete them with an update than not seeing changes applied to the map, nor immediately nor with updates. In addition, map updates are "optional" so you can always prefer an old map including your corrections to a new map TomTom without your corrections.
  • GMichalkGMichalk Posts: 11 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Applying a map correction to a current NAV 4 device (eg Go 500/600) does not effect any changes to your route. That is, any corrections are ignored by the routing algorithm so why bother with the changes. This was one bonus of the older NAV2, NAV3 where the corrections were considered in the routing.
    This is one more example where the functionality of the NAV 4 devices has not yet reached that of older devices of 3+ years ago.
    Yeah, but mind you, the map updates were chargeable to the older devices, which made it fair to apply those changes from the very first second. Of course it was a much better way, than the actual setup, but at least now one doesn't have to pay for the permanent fixes.

Also TT just bought Whereis if I recall correctly around a year ago, so any map changes you reported to Whereis were completely down to them and now TT has a lot to catch up with. Best to report those on the MSR site (if it allows you to do it already), but at that part of the world, it might take longer, than in the more established places like Europe.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online162

bakasan
bakasan
CB1100EX
CB1100EX
PMV
PMV
reminder
reminder
s-i-g-g-i
s-i-g-g-i