Bandit Camera- Sound distortion due to wind — TomTom Community

Bandit Camera- Sound distortion due to wind

benny61benny61 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Bandit Action Camera
the sound on my tom tom bandit is crap all i get on my ride is wind noise how do i fix it ???

Comments

• the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Master Traveler]
    There are several threads here about wind noise. Anything over 30mph seems to be a wind blast. Hoping that TT add microphone gain to the menus soon
  • gl00gl00 Posts: 965 [Revered Pioneer]
    There is also a wind muff that attaches under the mic you can get from tomtom in case it was not included in the box when you got your camera. Just contact customer service and they will send you one.
  • BanditFiliBanditFili Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Hello Benny, hello everybody, I'm Filippo from Italy.
    I had the same problem getting a ride with my motorbyke; The best thing done, was to purchase the adaptor (cable for ext mics), and a simple external mic (mic expense: TEN EUROS!) I made a video to try that out and the result has been incredible! The external mic was at about 10 cm dinstance from the exhausts, protect by the wind. Finally!
    Hope my comment can help you.
    Bye! :$
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi BandirFili,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experience!

We also recently released a software update bringing an automatic gain feature to help getting better audio quality :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • BanditFiliBanditFili Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
    thank you for your reply Mikkok!!
    I have that update on my camera, but unfortunately the wind noise and the vibration of the grey rotatable support kill the engine sound :(
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Filippo,

In case you weren't using them already we have a goatee accessory to prevent wind hitting the internal mic too hard and an antii-rotation clip to help with vibration. Should these not have come with your camera, please contact Customer Service. They can provide you with these :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • Dellboy218Dellboy218 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    In case you cannot get TomTom accessories easily like myself, there is something else you can try. In your local hardware store or even supermarket, do they sell draught excluders? That is self adhesive strips to stick onto doors to stop wind. Here in Thailand they sell one type with a thin flexible plastic strip and one with thick, short hair. A strip over 1 metre long cost only $2. cut the plastic end off and the ''hairy strip''will pull out. You only need a few mm. You can then cut to suit and glue them to the camera body. I have used an impact glue rather than super glue in case I wish to remove it. Had I thought about this a bit more I would probably have used a plastic collar on a reuseable cable tie or similar and glued the hair onto that to leave the camera body untouched. It is very effective at reducing wind noise. Here is a before and after comparison, hardly sicentific but it may give you an idea. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39554122/AudioComparison.mov , I am also going quite a bit quicker in the 2nd part although admittedly it is a different helmet.
  • sercolanisercolani Posts: 37 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Hi Mikko. You refer to an "anti rotation clip" in your reply. Can you please explain what this is?
  • AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 277 [Supreme Navigator]
    BanditFili wrote:
    I had the same problem getting a ride with my motorbyke; The best thing done, was to purchase the adaptor (cable for ext mics), and a simple external mic (mic expense: TEN EUROS!) I made a video to try that out and the result has been incredible!

Hi Filippo, do you have any video available on Youtube or elsewhere? What microphone did you buy?

Have a nice day!

Anders
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,519 Moderator
    sercolani wrote:
    Hi Mikko. You refer to an "anti rotation clip" in your reply. Can you please explain what this is?

Hi sercolani,

Please see the discussion thread here, you can find a comment from Chris explaining the purpose of 'Anti-Rotational clip': https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/tomtom-bandit-action-camera-477/rattle-sound-the-bandit-988624?postid=1043876

Regards,
    lampard
  • XennoNLXennoNL Posts: 25 [Outstanding Explorer]
    The autogain workt perfect with an external microphone. But when i use the bandit on my bicyles with the build in mic it seems the autogain function is disabled