Cannot pair with Android 6.0 - Page 5 — TomTom Community

Cannot pair with Android 6.0

Comments

• Harbs1973Harbs1973 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I urge all Australians to return there Sparks as it is not meeting the intended purposes. TomTom it is illegal in Australia to Advertise a product and continue to sell it when it has a known major fault. considering up to 74 % of Aussies have an Android phone or device it is unacceptable after 6 months that consumers can't pair there sports watches to there phones. I will be contacting our Australia Consumer affairs to see if they can force TomTom to advertise in the media to warn consumers that the Spark series of Watches aren't compatible with Android 6 and that there is a known fault with your mobile app. I will be recommending that either a national recall is done or consumers are compensated for this misleading product. Your app has a single star rating and doesn't work. At the very least TOMTOM should be forced to supply stickers so stores can attach it to your products to inform consumers that the watch isn't compatible. A couple of lines every 10 days or so is disgusting. This action I believe will force TomTom to act and find a solution. it isn't good enough
  • ASmugDillASmugDill Posts: 550 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Harbs1973 wrote:
    I urge all Australians to return there Sparks as it is not meeting the intended purposes.
    Do you speak for all Australians now? Or even just all TomTom Spark product owners in Australia? Do you fancy yourself and your requirements representative of a much larger group of people you don't know, haven't surveyed, and on whom you have no statistics? Do you have pretensions of being an example of “a reasonable consumer” in the interpretation of the Australian Consumer Law?
    TomTom it is illegal in Australia to Advertise a product and continue to sell it when it has a known major fault.
    Really? By all means, please tell us which specific section(s) in the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 prohibits a vendor from marketing and selling a product that (in this case, you – as an individual consumer who has no authority and is nobody else's representative – deem) has “a known major fault”.
    considering up to 74 % of Aussies have an Android phone or device it is unacceptable after 6 months that consumers can't pair there sports watches to there phones.
    Citing – and I'm using the term loosely there – such a dubious and meaningless statistic is not doing your credibility any good in this discussion.
    • The ABS estimates Australia's population to be 24.06 million. 74% of that is approximately 17.8 million.
    • In saying the proportion ρ of something is “up to 74%”, it just means 0<ρ≤0.74. The valid values of any value representing a proportion of a whole lie in the range [0,1], and you have a significantly better than even chance of randomly picking a value between 0 and 1 and have it fall within the lower 74% of that range.
    • For “up to 74% of Aussies [to] have an Android phone or tablet”, there must be at least 17.8 million Android phones and tablets out there that has not yet been disposed of, even if one was to entertain the incredible assumption that there is a strictly one-to-one relationship between those 17.8 million devices and distinct owners (or users). Would you care to point us to a reference that shows there are 17.8 million Android phones and tablets in Australia in use (or at least have not yet been discarded by their rightful owners)?
    • Furthermore, there is no inherent logic equivalence between “up to 74% of Aussies have an Android phone or device” and “up to 74% of TomTom Spark owners in Australia may be adversely impacted by the inability to pair with phones and tablets running Android 6.x and deem it to be a major failure.”
    • Only a subset of TomTom Spark owners who want to sync their watches with their Android devices are adversely impacted. I have both a Samsung tablet (which my girlfriend has commandeered) running 4.4.2 and another running 5.0.2, neither of which had issues syncing with the TomTom Spark Cardio + Music I had. There are even reports on this forum from users of Android 6.0 phones and tablets that managed to get their TomTom Spark watches to sync, so there is no categorical failure.
    • We also have three other Android devices (still in use) that don't have the hardware to support Bluetooth Low Energy. Some Android phones and tablets, e.g. Telstra Tempo (aka ZTE T815) you can still buy today in the market (say, from Woolworths and Coles) will not support BLE at the hardware level, and that is not TomTom's failure. You need to take all that into account if you want to claim that there are 17.8 million or more Android devices in use in Australia, to allude to what percentage of “reasonable consumers” and prospective TomTom customers – specifically with regard to the TomTom Spark range of watches – may be impacted.
    I will be contacting our Australia Consumer affairs
    That's funny. Which agency is that? If you have an issue as an individual consumer who wants to pursue recourse for a product you bought that is not fit for purpose, you take it up with the Fair Trading or Consumer Affairs government agency in your State. On the other hand, misleading and deceptive behaviour of companies, prohibited by the Competition and Consumer Act 2010, is for the ACCC to pursue at a Federal level with no say from you. What specifically are you pursuing?
    A couple of lines every 10 days or so is disgusting.
    You're welcome to feel that way, but your feelings have no standing with anyone else or any organisation.
    This action I believe will force TomTom to act and find a solution.
    Oh really?

I'm actually all for standing up for consumer rights, which are granted and upheld by authoritative bodies extrinsically with no obligation and no regard for the feelings of individuals no matter how strong those personal sentiments are, but I strongly encourage my fellow Australians to think about their argument and their leverage before posting rants that just invite others to shoot their claims and arguments full of holes.
  • restigianrestigian Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Same problem, no pin request. When I tap on the device on pairing windows the app come back to the first page. This happened after I updated from 5.0 to 6.0.1

Watch software version: 1.8.46
    Phone model: Galaxy S5 SM-G900F
    Android version: 6.0.1
    MySports app version: 2.0.12-58b77f0

Update: If I put my phone on airplane mode activating only bluetooth the runner can connect to the phone, but if I turn off the airplane mode the connection fails.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,632
    Superusers
    restigian wrote:
    Same problem, no pin request. When I tap on the device on pairing windows the app come back to the first page. This happened after I updated from 5.0 to 6.0.1

Phone model: Galaxy S5 SM-G900F

Update: If I put my phone on airplane mode activating only bluetooth the runner can connect to the phone, but if I turn off the airplane mode the connection fails.

This is being fixed in the firmware update that is currently being rolled out. It is a phased rollout over several days and there is no way to force the update, so you will have to wait for it to get to you.
  • mark.mcleodmark.mcleod Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Phone model: Moto G

This thread is six months old with over a hundred posts about a bug affecting every user of a major fraction of mobile OSs and the only action from tomtom is a few replies promising a fix "soon". This is completely and utterly unacceptable.If I ever happen to be near a tomtom outlet I will seek a a refund, I will not ever buy a tomtom product again, and I have recommended the same to several friends already and will continue to do so as long as this bug remains unfixed.
  • GilbertoeGilbertoe Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    You are right! TomTom is a company that used to sell the old GPS boxes. It was a slow pace moving market. How the are offering product for the new mobility world. There are fast chances, lots of inovations, etc....They do not have the skills to survive in this new class of products.
    TomTom will vanish soon.
  • midnightbuimidnightbui Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    They just released an update. Said they are rolling it out. I just connected it to my computer and was able to get the update. I had to re-pair the Bluetooth for it to work though. Its all good now,.
  • Daddy AndroidDaddy Android Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just got excited when I got home and plugged my Runner in. It came up with a message saying a software update was available. It started downloading, so I left it whilst I went to hang my coat up. I headed straight back to my pc to see that the My Sports program said that it was up-to-date... But still on 1.8.46.
    I've plugged it back in several times but nothing. Still 1.8.46 on the watch display too. Have I missed something?
    Update: It looks as if it may have been the PC program updating rather than the watch - a new version was also released today.
    Superusers
    Just got excited when I got home and plugged my Runner in. It came up with a message saying a software update was available. It started downloading, so I left it whilst I went to hang my coat up. I headed straight back to my pc to see that the My Sports program said that it was up-to-date... But still on 1.8.46.
    I've plugged it back in several times but nothing. Still 1.8.46 on the watch display too. Have I missed something?
    Update: It looks as if it may have been the PC program updating rather than the watch - a new version was also released today.

That was the Connect software updating (it says your Connect software requires an update, not your watch requires an update). As I understand it, the Connect update was required to properly roll out the firmware update.
  • RyedoRyedo Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    Hello.

I saw yesterday that a new update for Mysporst Connect was available on my PC, so I installed it and upgraded the FW of my watch (Multisports Cardio) to the 1.8.52 version.

I tried to re-pair with my phone by BT but I cannot do it yet. Now i can see on screen the window to put the Pin Code but there is no button to accept it and complete de connection between both devices.

I have reinstalled the app again and make a hardreset to the watch but the problem continues.

Watch: Mutisports Cardio
    Watch FW: 1.8.52
    Phone model: LG G3
    Android version: 6.0
    App version: 2.0.12-58b77f0

This is very disappointing because my watch and my phone worked perfectly with Android 5.0.
    Superusers
    Ryedo wrote:
    Hello.

I saw yesterday that a new update for Mysporst Connect was available on my PC, so I installed it and upgraded the FW of my watch (Multisports Cardio) to the 1.8.52 version.

I tried to re-pair with my phone by BT but I cannot do it yet. Now i can see on screen the window to put the Pin Code but there is no button to accept it and complete de connection between both devices.

I have reinstalled the app again and make a hardreset to the watch but the problem continues.

Watch: Mutisports Cardio
    Watch FW: 1.8.52
    Phone model: LG G3
    Android version: 6.0
    App version: 2.0.12-58b77f0

This is very disappointing because my watch and my phone worked perfectly with Android 5.0.

Make sure you go into the BT menu in the phone and forget the watch before trying to pair again. It needs to find it fresh so it can set a new PIN.
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    Make sure you go into the BT menu in the phone and forget the watch before trying to pair again. It needs to find it fresh so it can set a new PIN.

Hello tfarabaugh.
    There is not any parameter saved into the BT menu. Only my hands-free of my car is listed.
    Do you have another idea? Is there a file into the phone where the parameters could be saved and I could delete manually?
    Regards.
    Superusers
    Ryedo wrote:
    tfarabaugh wrote:

Hello tfarabaugh.
    There is not any parameter saved into the BT menu. Only my hands-free of my car is listed.
    Do you have another idea? Is there a file into the phone where the parameters could be saved and I could delete manually?
    Regards.

Normally there is a list in the settings of all BT paired devices.
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    Normally there is a list in the settings of all BT paired devices.

Ok. I have deleted my unique device in that list (the hands-free of my car) and the pairing fails yet.
    If I try to pair the watch through BT menu (not from de app of MySports) I insert the PIN that appears in the screen of the watch and the mobile tells that the PIN is incorrect and the watch turns off the BT connection.
    I don´t know what to do anymore.
    Regards.

New info.
    I have made a hard-reset of my watch and it has been instaled de 1.8.46 FW version, not the newest (1.8.52). My Sports connect doesn´t update to the 1.8.52 version.
  • tallon777tallon777 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Still cannot pair:
    Xperia z5 compact
    Android 6.0
    Watch fw 1.8.52

Now I do not get a pairing notification at all. With 1.8.46 I did get a pairing notification, but no pin pad.
  • engtomtomengtomtom Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Finally moved to post a comment on this.
    Tomtom you should be ashamed or at least the product team who wrote the user stories and acceptance tests should be.
    To create an app for a watch that is supposed to connect to the not just the number one mobile OS by a little bit but by a greater than 80/20 is frankly suicidal. (OK so not all of that 80% are on 6, but a significant enough of those people will be if you consider the user persona who would buy this watch).
    To eventually and softly send out an update without informing users, equally shameful.
    To send that update out without proper (release) notes just more of the same.

At the very least decide when a proper fix will be available, communicate that date, deliver the update and communicate it, supply proper notes.

And in case you hadn't guessed your latest poor effort at resolving this hasn't worked.
  • darkespdarkesp Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I just received the update to 1.8.52 last night for my MultiSport, and it STILL won't connect to my Moto X Pure running Android 6.0.

At this point, this issue is beyond ridiculous. I cut TomTom a lot of slack when I bought the watch over a year ago, because even though the hardware was fantastic, the software was buggy, and they hadn't even rolled out an Android app yet. I figured they were new to the game, and to their credit, over a period of several months, they fixed most, if not all, the major problems.

Which makes it all the more disappointing to find out that they never really learned how to establish modern device support. I understand that the Bluetooth implementation might change between Android versions, but it's not rocket science. I have numerous other BT devices that work just fine, no updates required.

For giggles, let's say the devs screwed up and chose a crappy implementation the first time around - this is a fix that should take a competent dev team a week to fix. Throw in change request approval and testing, let's say a month would be reasonable. Two months would be puzzling, but forgivable. Six months, and when the change rolls out, it doesn't even work for everyone? That blows my mind. And it doesn't even get into the monumental failure of communication - if a critical feature on my device breaks, it's in TomTom's best interests to send email updates, establish a status page, write a blog post, etc. None of these things are hard.

I want to like this product. I really do. I was even planning on updating to the Cardio 2 or Spark sometime soon to get HR. I've even recommended it to friends. Unfortunately, at this point, I think TomTom has burned enough chances to make that impossible.
    darkesp wrote:
    I just received the update to 1.8.52 last night for my MultiSport, and it STILL won't connect to my Moto X Pure running Android 6.0.

At this point, this issue is beyond ridiculous. I cut TomTom a lot of slack when I bought the watch over a year ago, because even though the hardware was fantastic, the software was buggy, and they hadn't even rolled out an Android app yet. I figured they were new to the game, and to their credit, over a period of several months, they fixed most, if not all, the major problems.

Which makes it all the more disappointing to find out that they never really learned how to establish modern device support. I understand that the Bluetooth implementation might change between Android versions, but it's not rocket science. I have numerous other BT devices that work just fine, no updates required.

For giggles, let's say the devs screwed up and chose a crappy implementation the first time around - this is a fix that should take a competent dev team a week to fix. Throw in change request approval and testing, let's say a month would be reasonable. Two months would be puzzling, but forgivable. Six months, and when the change rolls out, it doesn't even work for everyone? That blows my mind. And it doesn't even get into the monumental failure of communication - if a critical feature on my device breaks, it's in TomTom's best interests to send email updates, establish a status page, write a blog post, etc. None of these things are hard.

I want to like this product. I really do. I was even planning on updating to the Cardio 2 or Spark sometime soon to get HR. I've even recommended it to friends. Unfortunately, at this point, I think TomTom has burned enough chances to make that impossible.

I am in the same situation, received the update on my Tomtom runner and still experiencing connecting issues with my Samsung Galaxy S5.

It's unbelivable! We are talking about tomtom not the first china low cost company!

Just for your information, I have:

- Pebble Time
    - MiBand
    - Polar H6 heartrate monitor
    - Polar Loop
    - A couple of bluetooth headphone
    - Ford Sync

All of these devices still connecting with no issues after upgrading my phone to 6.01!! And, also with the new firmware update I can't still use my runner with my phone.

I can't understand how it is possible this! We are not talking about day-2 software relase, Marshmallow has been released six month ago in GA!!

I bought my Tomtom runner just a week ago, tomorrow I'll go to the shop asking the change with a garmin product.

No more Tomtom product in My Life, I will also review this situation in all of my online shop.
  • CoopKillCoopKill Posts: 12 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Not sure if a coincidence, or not, but after updating my connect yesterday I still get the watch to connect, but when trying to "Get Activities" in the app it spins then stated I need to link my watch to a mysports account?

This has been done for months, and if needing re-linked I am clueless in how to do that as when the watch is usb-d to the account all is well.
    Hoorray!!! My store just refound my purchase!!

Bye bye tomtom
  • CoopKillCoopKill Posts: 12 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Update came today, and pairing is fixed! You must delete/unpair existing bluetooth connection, and pair new watch in the app. All went simple and quick.

Now to test the rest of the fixes/workarounds that are said to be updated.
  • Kyle HorKyle Hor Posts: 7 [Legendary Explorer]
    Kyle Hor wrote:
    Wow, thayerzOOr. I think you nailed it. The pairing protocol is working but the devices times out too quickly. Could also be that the newer phones ask for a respond too quickly before the watch is able to react to it. Could be why TomTom has been so quiet about this as they could not make the respond time of the watch to go any quicker. And their phone app does not have the rights to slow down the pairing communication at the Android OS level.

Now if I want to update my runs while travelling, I have to either bring my laptop and cable or bring along an older Android that's paired with my watch :(

Well TomTom had save me a lot of trouble trying to throttle down my Android speed. They released a software upgrade for the watch. 1.8.52

And it now pairs beautifully to my Android 6.0. Thanks. You just up my trust in your products again. :)
  • Rita L.Rita L. Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Watch software version - 1.2
    Phone model - Samsung Galaxy S7
    Android version - 6.01
    MySports app version - 2.0.12.58b77fO

Doesn't automatically connect. Calorie count totally off. Supposedly burnt 743 Calories while seated at my desk for the past 3 hours. Amazing metabolic rate huh?
    Superusers
    Rita L. wrote:
    Watch software version - 1.2
    Phone model - Samsung Galaxy S7
    Android version - 6.01
    MySports app version - 2.0.12.58b77fO

Doesn't automatically connect. Calorie count totally off. Supposedly burnt 743 Calories while seated at my desk for the past 3 hours. Amazing metabolic rate huh?

If you were alive and breathing, digesting, etc. then you were burning calories and that is what a 24/7 activity tracker is supposed to be tracking. It computes a BMR based on your gender, height, weight, etc. and takes this along with steps and sports activities to come up with calories burned. So between midnight and whenever you woke up you burned a number of calories just being alive. Add to that the time since you have been awake and you should be at least at 743 calories. This is exactly what it and all other activity trackers are designed to do. In my experience it is generally pretty accurate (or as accurate as BMR based calculations can be as they are based on averages).
  • urbanlegend11urbanlegend11 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Is this now working with Nexus 6P ?