Map corrections-How long to add a change I reported?

It'sMeIt'sMe Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
edited January 22 in Archived Discussions
Hi,
My wife got a new car 6 months ago, it had TomTom built in. Driving a big road in early December, there was a newish roundabout not on the map. First big thing I noticed, so thought I'd report it. I created an account just for that!
I gave all the data, where it was and a link to the website it was made for (a large haulier new depot) with an aerial photo showing it. Nearly 3 months later "Pending" (6 months since built) I log on to check, no update or new info for me to check.
Why? - this is the bit that get's me, what have I done wrong? what do I not know? how can I improve what i did? Here's the id b06aaa87-f3b7-1033-925e-c363a6198656

Anyhow, a few days ago, i was given a Go 500 so though I'd use if for the other car, I've paid more attention to this one while setting up and getting it ready and man, are the maps bad. In my town alone, ~10,000 population, half the car parks are missing, and there's one on the maps that is on a narrow residential dead end side street - it just does not exist!

I'm quite disillusioned to be honest, I though expensive paid for products (expensive especially with the Wife's car subscription cost) would provide much better quality of information for the money.

Do I report other problems? is it worth it? It takes a lot of effort to report only small changes for TomTom compares to Openstreetmap of Google Maps for instance

J

Comments

• It'sMeIt'sMe Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Yike's, Just been reading the forum a bit more. It's not very comforting. Seems like it may be ages, if ever..

J
  • MegalosMegalos Posts: 5,794 Superusers
    TomTom is still in the process of catching up MSR reports, due to a move to a completely new map system. If in a few weeks the report is still pending, then a TT employee could have a look at the ID and try to figure out what is going on.

From my own experience (>150 MSR reports), almost all reports get eventually implemented into a new map. It can take a while (6-12 months), but eventually they make their way.
    Well as a test, I reported it to Google also. Checked out and added to the maps within a few weeks.

I expected better things from a paid for service. Alas, it's not to be.

I've decided to use an old phone in the car and sell the Tomtom, it has no advantage.....
  • LostLondonerLostLondoner Posts: 107 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Megalos wrote:
    T[SNIP] almost all reports get eventually implemented into a new map. It can take a while (6-12 months), but eventually they make their way.
    Why?

Why does it take six to twelve months to correct errors on TomTom maps?

I have submitted MSR reports about incorrectly notified speed limits and they seem never to be updated.
    Because they have to go through a lot of verification and processing before it ends up in a map release. TomTom is however working on a new map system (NDS) which should have much shorter cycle times.
    "TomTom is however working on a new map system (NDS) which should have much shorter cycle times." - this fairy story has been running for months, if not over a year.

What "verification and processing" does TomTom have to go through? Would you like photographs?
    Hi LostLondener, I am not a TomTom employee, just a user like you ;-).

Photographs (geotagged) will increase the chance of a faster acceptation. But the time after acceptation will not change I think. I do not know the entire map making process, but I think a large part consists also of testing the map (e.g. to verify all updated road networks across map boundaries etc. are still working properly). But again, I do not no the details so a full answer I cannot provide.
    My apologies, I thought that you were rolling out the standard TomTom "line".

Some time ago I submitted a number of reports via MSR - they have now "disappeared" but not been actioned.

I have resubmitted one (ad19fa65-4d8c-1034-9d4a-ec10897fe1ea - A1005) and will try to get geotagged photos next time I am in the area - not easy on a narrow, busy road with a 50 MPH limit!
    From my perspective:
    I submitted the webbing to the article from the builders of the roundabout.
    Google 2 weeks to going live with it.
    TomTom almost 5 months and no change in status since the day it was submitted.

I now know which one I'd prefer to rely on.
    Webbing!! Weblink.....
    You have to remember that TomTom is a MUCH more complex product than Google.. TomTom watches, etc., etc., etc.
    Google just develop search, email, mapping software and so on, driverless cars, etc., etc., etc. - basically the easy stuff ;)
  • davahaddavahad Posts: 67 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I reported an address correction here:
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/map-quality-75/mapshare-report-accepted-feb-3-2014-still-not-update-android-maps-v9305611-836587

On 2-3-2014 and it still has not been added over 26 months later. I have contacted support 20+ times with no resolution or end in sight. Except now they say they are upgrading their map database and it will be added in weeks. That was over a month ago. TomTom has the most out-of-date maps of any mapping company.
    Just out of curiosity, I've checked back to see if it's fixed yet. Not only is it not fixed, my reporting of the problem has been deleted from the system (I'm aware of the date range in the search)
    Oh Well
  • JamesLopez.NetJamesLopez.Net Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    In my experience, it takes enough years so the road / roundabout has disappeared already by the time they check the change.

I think we should all look for a better alternative. A huge main motorway in Spain had a new section a couple of years ago and that was added pretty quickly to Google, I reported in map share and still waiting - still in pending state.
  • SatNav_UserSatNav_User Posts: 128 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    My experience in Ontario, Canada, has been that changes to POI's take 6 to 12 months (i.e. 2 to 4 update cycles) to be implemented. However changes vital to traffic, especially speed limit changes, require much longer, usually years, even if documented with geotagged photos. I've submitted changes in speed zone extents that have been superseded by subsequent changes in the extents of the same speed zones before they've been adopted by TomTom. I've even seen TomTom remove the speed limits over several sections of one road because I kept letting them know that the spatial limits of the zones were incorrect.
    The corporate line is that new information has to be verified in the field. TomTom has a record of who submits corrections, and I should think that they could keep a record of the reliability of the changes submitted by users and develop a scale of trust that they could use in decision-making regarding accepting submissions.
  • MattiGMattiG Posts: 13 [Master Traveler]
    I do not believe that there is a map reporting function in place at all in the real life. The web service leads to a black hole somewhere. I have made four reports (no access, wrong voice guidance, two non-existent motorway ramps on map). Zero success so far.
    Hi Matti, for me, I don't have a similar experience. By far most of my reports (don't know how many, but more than 400) have been accepted and implemented into maps. Do your reports already have the "Accepted" status? If so, when did you report the issues? Usually it takes about 6 to 12 months before an accepted report is implemented into a new map release.
  • arichardarichard Posts: 319 [Supreme Navigator]
    It seems to me that big new road changes are happening faster than TomTom can process. If so then the latest map update will continue to fall further behind. This is why when I am in an unfamiliar area I have to rely on my 2012 Road Atlas because TomTom's latest map cannot be trusted.

I am very disappointed about not being able to trust the top of the range satnav with the newest map installed when I need navigation help the most.
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 583 [Exalted Navigator]
    Megalos wrote:
    Hi Matti, for me, I don't have a similar experience. By far most of my reports (don't know how many, but more than 400) have been accepted and implemented into maps. Do your reports already have the "Accepted" status? If so, when did you report the issues? Usually it takes about 6 to 12 months before an accepted report is implemented into a new map release.

Hi, Megalos, could you clarify what "Map Reporting" you used?

I would suggest that most people are using/referring to the Device-based Map-Reporting - to date, I've NEVER had a response via that method. In fact, I no longer bother using it after some of my corrections were clearly being ignored after MANY-YEARS of repeated reporting!

Regards,
    John-Jay

Regards,

John-Jay

Hi John-Jay, I only use the Map Share Reporter website for reporting issues. That way I am also able to track them (and I can attach comments and images for example). When I report using the device, I don't know what happens with them.
    Megalos wrote:
    Hi John-Jay, I only use the Map Share Reporter website for reporting issues. That way I am also able to track them (and I can attach comments and images for example). When I report using the device, I don't know what happens with them.

I suspected that was the case & I would agree with you that is the ONLY viable way to make a Report!!!

My personal opinion is that trying to report errors/changes via the device is a TOTAL waste of time!!

If I may expand one of your comments:-
    "When I report using the device, I don't know what happens with them". - I strongly suspect that TomTom doesn't know either!! :P ;)

Regards,
    John-Jay

Regards,

John-Jay

• MvanAkenMvanAken Posts: 459 TomTom Employee
    The map errors you report on a device end up in the same back end system as those reported using Map Share Reporter; the only difference is the feedback loop for MSR tickets.
  • MattiGMattiG Posts: 13 [Master Traveler]
    I submitted them using the web interface. One report was accepted, one rejected and two ones just ignored. The latter case is quite surprising: I am sure that the existence of motorway ramps is pretty easy to verify.

For this sort of a "service", the turnaround of 6-12 months is far too much. It is close to worth nothing.

I believe it is better to report the observations directly to the original map source if known. Thus they will be reflected by the TomTom maps according to the regular update cycle.
    MvanAken wrote:
    The map errors you report on a device end up in the same back end system as those reported using Map Share Reporter; the only difference is the feedback loop for MSR tickets.
    I can only speak from my own experience (although this does seem to be similar to other people's experiences)!

Reporting via the Web-Site appears to get some form of response & some sort of "eventual" correction (even though it might take more than a year to correct)!

I cannot recall a single correction, that I've reported via the Device EVER being corrected - despite the fact that I've reported the same error/correction many, many times (over many revisions of the Maps)!

Regards,
    John-Jay

Regards,

John-Jay

This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online62

Crystalbarn
Crystalbarn
DougLap
DougLap
jensen01
jensen01