UNWANTED file split after approx 15 Minutes of Recording!

VeetiVeeti Posts: 43 [Prominent Wayfarer]
This Bug has been reported now so many times!

cdc4eb13-46bc-473d-a4dc-946a56e8d922.jpg

Can somebody from TomTom PLEASE inform about how to resolve this issue?

THANKS!
«1

Comments

  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    It is not a bug but the max size that the Micro SD card can store in one file when using FAT32. Every action cam on the market does the same. Use the Studio software to link them back into one file
  • VeetiVeeti Posts: 43 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    the-civvie wrote:
    It is not a bug but the max size that the Micro SD card can store in one file when using FAT32. Every action cam on the market does the same. Use the Studio software to link them back into one file


    I formatted the SD card INSIDE THE BANDIT before I used it the first time. The Format is NOT FAT32 but exFAT! There are no such 4 GB limits with exFAT!
    59b81a26-f1a6-4623-869a-4db29900165c.jpg

    I also tried to link back the splitted clips. But it didn`t work!

    This are the marked clips the Bandit presents in Studio Beta. It is only a small portion of the entire recordings! And there is not even a timeline or a chance to get the marked clips sorted chronologically!
    6688f610-b128-4d9d-902e-040d21093712.jpg

    This are the originals to be fitted. All are selected...
    e20a1cdf-0fb1-46bb-84ef-857ecfd7bd6e.jpg

    When I go then to "My Story" and press "Add selected"
    be3fe47a-9b20-42d6-bd14-bc122fa2e278.jpg

    ...the Bandit Studio Beta presents me this:
    220fdc38-82d1-40a7-991d-8d72843f74b9.jpg

    I have no glue how to get the splitted files back into a single one. And I do not see any reason why splitting is necessary with the exFAT fiele fomat! A Format which was already invented 10 YEARS AGO!

    TT PLEASE REPLY!

    Nonetheless, I appreciate your commments and Help Civvie!
  • ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
  • VeetiVeeti Posts: 43 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Is there also an FAQ how to join the 4 GB clips?
  • ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Not an FAQ, it's not possible in Bandit Studio as the Studio is designed to edit together highlights and not full video files, however there is a workaround here: https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/beta-tomtom-bandit-studio-478/tomtom-bandit-studio-beta-995228/index1.html#post1054509 and https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/beta-tomtom-bandit-studio-478/tomtom-bandit-studio-beta-995228/index2.html#post1070743
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    Veeti It is possible in Windows Movie Maker to join them, using Clip and Combine. That is as much as I know. I never bother joining the segments on my Mac, I edit using iMovie and just select the bits I want.
  • VeetiVeeti Posts: 43 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I see - seems to be time consuming - but will try it later. And how about sensor information in the jointed file? Can KML data still be extracted like as the original footage?

    You mentioned that merging of entire files may be possible. Is that already on your plan for the upcoming studio revision? And is there a chance/plan that TT gives up the 4GB limit for users who don't need FAT32 flexibility?
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    Veeti wrote:
    I see - seems to be time consuming - but will try it later. And how about sensor information in the jointed file? Can KML data still be extracted like as the original footage??

    I tried to load an edited movie into Bandit Studio and it would not see it so I guess there is no way. I do however highlight all the original videos in the Bandit Studio and export the KML, a long winded process, but one of these days I will actually use the files in a video
  • VeetiVeeti Posts: 43 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Thanks Civvie! I overlooked ýour previous comment where you mentioned the Windows Movie Maker: Yes, if sensor information is not of importance, any conventional Movie Software should be OK.
    And your experience that only original footages are acceppted by the Bandit Studio Software saves me som time :)
    What makes me angry is, that no 4GB limit is mentioned in the manual and TT is very reluctant to inform about - first one week after the question was raised!

    But I have still some days to send my Bandit back for full refund and wait for the next cam generations...
  • ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Veeti, no reluctance on our part, I must admit I overlooked your original contact on this as it was tagged on to another thread, it's best to create a new thread for a new topic which is why we are here. The FAQ I gave you has been on tomtom.com since the product was launched and as the-civvie points out this is common across the board on these types of cameras. I also gave this same answer when the question was raised by another user more than 2 months ago: https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/tomtom-bandit-action-camera-477/bandit-starting-new-files-after-15-minutes-994927
  • VeetiVeeti Posts: 43 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Hi Chris, thanks for quick respose and your intention to bring things on table!
    But if you carefully red my comments above, then you are aware that I am

    1) not satisfied with the current situatiuon
    2) interested in TomTom`s intentions to give up 4GB limits for users who don`t need FAT32 flexibility (as opt-out)

    Is item 2 a tabu for you?
  • ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Veeti, it's not something we are currently considering at the moment if that's what you mean. We need to keep the files manageable and not expect users to have to have powerful PCs to view back their video files. Looking at your example I think more users would complain that they would have to process one file that was 21GBs (or more if they were filming for longer) of data than more manageable 4GB files. Also if something happens while the camera is recording then your may only lose the footage from the last file and not everything since the camera started recording. To be honest I see more pros than cons for how it is now.

    A better solution is to improve how the Bandit Studio imports video and processes it so that full videos can be placed in the timeline. This is why Bandit Studio is released in BETA so we can gather this sort of feedback.
  • VeetiVeeti Posts: 43 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Chris wrote:
    Hi Veeti, it's not something we are currently considering at the moment if that's what you mean. We need to keep the files manageable and not expect users to have to have powerful PCs to view back their video files. Looking at your example I think more users would complain that they would have to process one file that was 21GBs (or more if they were filming for longer) of data than more manageable 4GB files. Also if something happens while the camera is recording then your may only lose the footage from the last file and not everything since the camera started recording. To be honest I see more pros than cons for how it is now.

    A better solution is to improve how the Bandit Studio imports video and processes it so that full videos can be placed in the timeline. This is why Bandit Studio is released in BETA so we can gather this sort of feedback.

    Hi Chis,
    this are bad news what the 4 GB limit concerns! But believe me, I am not as stupid as TomTom may think of! I also never tried to burn off my cars fuel tank content at once, althougt it could easily bo done. And no timeout is installed in my cars electronic, and no teachers at the driving school ever eucated me in this regard!
    I am ruther sure, that users would understand the consequences if TomTom would warn prior to switch off a 4GB-Limit Option! And again, I did not ask to take off the limitation, I only asked for an option which would the user allow to decide to have (or not have) the footages splitted into 4 GB portions.

    And there is no good reason why TomTom should patronise us!

    But I appreciate a clear statement and the pussyfooting around has now come to an end!
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    I have had a GoPro and my daughter another brand, cannot recall which, and both start a new file at 4GB. Nether have an option to turn off the limit either. I don't think that TT or anyone else are patronizing us. It is common across all devices. And given that there are so few people asking for the limit to be removed, I don't think it is other people's priorty and we would rather see things like the wind noise, etc sorted first
  • VeetiVeeti Posts: 43 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Hi Civvie, I hear what you saying!

    But if this is the case, TomTom just gives a unique selling proposition away for nobodies advantage! Marketing managers would rub their hands would they hear about such feature!

    I agree, there may be other priorities, but implementing a checkbox option "4 GB Footage Split" is not a high sophisticated software function, thats done in minutes!
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    I doubt it is as easy as you think, otherwise it would have been done. But I hope you find a solution that is acceptable to you. I just spoke to a friend who has the Garmin action cam and it has the same
  • VeetiVeeti Posts: 43 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    the-civvie wrote:
    I doubt it is as easy as you think, otherwise it would have been done. But I hope you find a solution that is acceptable to you. I just spoke to a friend who has the Garmin action cam and it has the same

    The "challange" for the programmer would only be to change the a already existing limit value of "4" against a much higher value e.g. "10,000" - thats it for a permanent deaktivation of the limit! Only for a check-box option where users could select, would take some investigation: Someone must decide which menue shall be expanded with the new option, implement and test it. But again, this is not complicated and no challange at all.

    The one and only reason of the 4 GB Limit has been clearly stated by Chris:
    "We need to keep the files manageable and not expect users to have to have powerful PCs to view back their video files."

    TomTom`s "expectation issue" could easily be solved by an expert mode or a hidden function, available via key combination...
  • EAssinckjEAssinckj Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I really don't understand this discussion.

    I have a Bandit but also a Garmin Virb.
    And yes, also the ability to handle such large files.

    It never was a problem for me with the Garmin.
    The only difference is that the software that comes with the Garmin(Virb Edit) is better in handling the full clips than Bandit Studio at the moment.

    If Bandit Studio would be able to use full clips to create a movie, the 4Gb isn't a problem at all.
    But that's something for the Bandit Studio forum.
  • VeetiVeeti Posts: 43 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    EAssinckj wrote:
    I really don't understand this discussion.

    I have a Bandit but also a Garmin Virb.
    And yes, also the ability to handle such large files.

    It never was a problem for me with the Garmin.
    ...

    Is there no limitation in the footage file size with the Garmin Virb and single file size can be up to SD-card capacity e.g. 64 GB or even 128 GB?
    Not that I need SUCH big files - just to understand you correctly.
  • EAssinckjEAssinckj Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Veeti wrote:
    EAssinckj wrote:
    I really don't understand this discussion.

    I have a Bandit but also a Garmin Virb.
    And yes, also the ability to handle such large files.

    It never was a problem for me with the Garmin.
    ...

    Is there no limitation in the footage file size with the Garmin Virb and single file size can be up to SD-card capacity e.g. 64 GB or even 128 GB?
    Not that I need SUCH big files - just to understand you correctly.

    Sorry, a sentence was lost during copy/paste….

    It had to be:

    I really don't understand this discussion.

    I have a Bandit but also a Garmin Virb.
    The Virb also cuts up recordings in many clips because of the size limit.
    And yes, also the ability to handle such files.

    It never was a problem for me with the Garmin.
    The only difference is that the software that comes with the Garmin(Virb Edit) is better in handling the full clips than Bandit Studio at the moment.

    If Bandit Studio would be able to use full clips to create a movie, the 4Gb isn't a problem at all.
    But that's something for the Bandit Studio forum.
  • VeetiVeeti Posts: 43 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    EAssinckj wrote:
    Veeti wrote:
    EAssinckj wrote:
    I really don't understand this discussion.

    I have a Bandit but also a Garmin Virb.
    And yes, also the ability to handle such large files.

    It never was a problem for me with the Garmin.
    ...

    Is there no limitation in the footage file size with the Garmin Virb and single file size can be up to SD-card capacity e.g. 64 GB or even 128 GB?
    Not that I need SUCH big files - just to understand you correctly.

    Sorry, a sentence was lost during copy/paste….

    ...
    The Virb also cuts up recordings in many clips because of the size limit.
    ...
    .

    Ok - this can happen ;)

    But you see, that I carefully went through your postig! And you can believe me: Before I decided to order my bandit I went even more carefully through the user manual to make 100% sure that it is good enough for my needs!

    And if TomTom would have mentioned the 4 GB "feature" in the manual, I would not have ordered it and consequently not started this thread!
    I hope this explains the REASON of this discussion!

    I am aware that you and many others don`t need footages larger than 4 GB. But please accept, that a few owners including me would like to have a posibility (Option) to deactivate the 4 GB limit!

    For the majority of users who don`t need the option: Just don`t use it :)
    For TomTom: Just make it, or complete the Bandit user manual with the 4 GB Feature ;)
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    As the 4gb file size is a limitation of the SD card file system. Most people will use the standard Fat32, therefore TomTom don't need to mention it. I doubt Garmin do. As you say it is a low user need for longer files so therefore more than likely a long way down the list. I guess the TT mods will have passed your request onto the development team
  • VeetiVeeti Posts: 43 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    the-civvie wrote:
    As the 4gb file size is a limitation of the SD card file system. Most people will use the standard Fat32, therefore TomTom don't need to mention it. I doubt Garmin do. As you say it is a low user need for longer files so therefore more than likely a long way down the list. I guess the TT mods will have passed your request onto the development team

    Hi Civvie!
    But the point is, that TomTom broadcasts that 128 GB cards can be used, which is not compatible to FAT32 and therefore no 4 GB limit can exist.
    Without further information: How should somebody avoid a bad buy if there is no clear statement from TomTom how different SD-card sizes are formatted and that limitations required just for FAT32 formatted cards are also applied to cards formatted in exfat!

    Unfortunately I bought a 128 GB card and my thoughts were misleaded :(

    PS: Lets hope, that TT's developing team is in a good mood :)
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    I would imagine that TT have FAT32 linked as default and therefore it will use the file writing as a standard, using the fact that most people will use 32Gb cards. I understand that other formats don't have the limitation but so far I would imagine that TT would use this discussion and any others as a measure if larger files are required by customers. As I say, it doesnt worry me.

    Hey maybe the development team will send you a spring present soon :)

    I have 4 32Gb and 3 64Gb cards and have to charge the batteries on the bike to ensure I can use them :)
  • VeetiVeeti Posts: 43 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    the-civvie wrote:
    I would imagine that TT have FAT32 linked as default and therefore it will use the file writing as a standard, using the fact that most people will use 32Gb cards. I understand that other formats don't have the limitation but so far I would imagine that TT would use this discussion and any others as a measure if larger files are required by customers. As I say, it doesnt worry me.

    Hey maybe the development team will send you a spring present soon :)

    I have 4 32Gb and 3 64Gb cards and have to charge the batteries on the bike to ensure I can use them :)

    Good idea!

    Here are my expectations for a SPRING PRESENT:
    - Bandit Black Edition "No Limits"
    - No Footage Size Limitation!
    - 100% Bluetooth Smart (4.0) Compatibility for HR Belts!
    - Extensive Export Funktion: Supports ALL Sensor data for use in Dashware!
    - API for Bandid export functions and/or Command Line Export functions
    - New Antishock Adapter for stable raw footages!
    - Optical Image Stabilisation for even more stable footages!
    - Bluetooth microphone to eliminate Wind Noise!
    - Level Indicator for the built in display with aditional sound annotation for "blind level adjustment" - no more need to verify the level on the smart phone!
    - "OK" Center Button for the Menue System!
    - General Button Improvements: Longer travel, improved pressure point, less variance in quality!
    - Extension cable with angulated plug!
    - Lens filter thread to allow standard filters!
    - API for bandit developers!
    - Commitment to support open standards!

    Anything else I forgot?
Sign In or Register to comment.

Who's Online85

DrBakteriusTT
DrBakteriusTT
hawethie
hawethie
Justyna
Justyna
Jürgen
Jürgen
ploum115
ploum115
+80 Guests