Bluetooth or phone speaker while using GO Mobile App — TomTom Community

Bluetooth or phone speaker while using GO Mobile App

RosieiRosiei Posts: 23 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
Apart from the obvious flaws about the new App already posted on this forum most importantly waypoint and contacts, I also cant seem to find a way of just having instructions routed through the phone or car speakers like on the old App. Sadly once my phone connects to my media system via bluetooth( for phone calls) it automatically signals my phone to route all Sat Nav instructions via bluetooth, but to do this I have to be actually playing songs on my iphone through the media system too. I listen to radio more and therefore I don't get any instructions/ camera alerts from the TomTom. I hope all that makes sense ???

On the old App I could just switch to play audio through phone speakers by sliding upwards, but I cant find a way at all for doing it on the new App .
Any ideas ?

Comments

• TrainermanTrainerman Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I've just come over to iPhone from android and found this major issue as well. It make the app totally unusable. The android version worked fine.
    Any ideas to solve this would be much appreciated.
  • steven0161steven0161 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    iOS slide up the screen to get the widget menu airport calculator etc and press AirPlay then tick the iPhone option. The sound will then come through the iPhone and not the Bluetooth car kit
  • RosieiRosiei Posts: 23 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Thanks will try. Shame its not part of the App though !
    Thanks fo the quick reply it works well until a call comes through when it returns to the car. It just means you have to select iPhone again. I started streaming radio and getting the sat nav as well so I might use that as I'm on an unlimited data phone contract.
  • DoeloeDoeloe Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Today I switched to TT Go mobile and it looks great. Unbelievable that the sound does not work with BT. Apps like Flitsmeister work prefect by interruption of the audio in your car. A real deal breaker.
  • GordMGordM Posts: 50 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Doeloe wrote:
    Today I switched to TT Go mobile and it looks great. Unbelievable that the sound does not work with BT. Apps like Flitsmeister work prefect by interruption of the audio in your car. A real deal breaker.

That's strange. I switched a couple of days ago and my BT works fine. Not sure why it wouldn't.
  • Jack BurgJack Burg Posts: 37 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Looks like the sequence of events is important.
    It did not work if I start TomTom on the iPhone that is already connected to the car for phone support etc.
    It did work if I start TomTom first and start the car afterwards. TomTom connects perfect with the car (Mercedes E class, 212 series) via BT.

Conclusion: Start TomTom on the iPhone before you start the car.
  • GordMGordM Posts: 50 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Glad you figured it out.
    It's not a problem in connection, it connects fine every time. Its that on the volvo v40 you need to select media and then Bluetooth. This means you can't listen to anything on the radio. The only way to listen to anything is when it's being streamed via Bluetooth.
  • DoeloeDoeloe Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I can confirm it's not a problem in the BT connection. The issue is with the app of TT. The spoken instructions should use the BT connection and interrupt the device in the car. Similar like with an incoming call or the app Flitsmeister. It now only works when you set your car device on input BT, which means you can't listen to your radio or other inputs.

Very strange TT did not considered this because this is all common use. Imagine you carkit would work the same way .... :(
  • Søren_NørnbergSøren_Nørnberg Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    I don't think we will ever get this.
    I wrote TomTom more than 2 years ago, and nothing has happened.
    Like others I want to listen to the radio in my car, and still having the instructions from my TomTom via the car speakers.
    Google Maps can do this so TomTom should be able as well.
    Søren Nørnberg
    I have just received an answer from TomTom.
    There has been no request for this, and therefore they don't think it will be possible.
    We must all write to TomTom about this.
    Writing in the forum won't help us.
    I'm going back to Google Maps, where this is actually working.
  • RosieiRosiei Posts: 23 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Trainerman wrote:
    It's not a problem in connection, it connects fine every time. Its that on the volvo v40 you need to select media and then Bluetooth. This means you can't listen to anything on the radio. The only way to listen to anything is when it's being streamed via Bluetooth.
    Yes that is a big bug bear. I listen to FM radio. I have bluetooth in the car for my phone also via the media player. Unless I am streaming music the sound wont come through the speakers. the only way I can hear sound from the TOM TOM app is by putting it on the phone speaker :-(
  • datasdatas Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    No sounds or voices on the radio speakers with bluetooth. I have an Iphone 6 Plus (ios 9.3.1) and a Renault Megane 3. No problems with phone calls and others applications with Bluetooth...
  • LeifALeifA Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The TomTom app or the new Go app should let the user choose between using HFP or A2DP for transferring the audio to your car stereo. If you use HFP the audio from the TomTom app will interupt your car audio like what happends when you recive a telephone call. If you use A2DP it behaves like today.
  • datasdatas Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I can't find this option in the New Tomtom Mobile IOS
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback!

Ability to choose audio output channel in the app has indeed been a frequent request here on the forum. I've logged all your feedback and will be reporting it the product team.

Cheers, Mikko
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback!

Ability to choose audio output channel in the app has indeed been a frequent request here on the forum. I've logged all your feedback and will be reporting it the product team.

Cheers, Mikko

This is the best news for several years.
    I requested this 3 years ago.
  • nicjwinnicjwin Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The solution is to have an option in the APP to allow HFP prompts. This is available on Apple Maps. It appears all cars after 2009 with builtin bluetooth have HFP .
    I found it easily by a quick google search . iPhone and HFP will give the product team the information.
    Cheers
    Nick
  • PPPPPPPP Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Any news on this? The problem still exists in my 1.6 app on iphone. I contacted TomTom support but no clear answer. Lacking the possibility to choose output channel makes the application dangerous to use. If you listen to the radio you have to keep looking at the app, because no spoken instructions can be heard...

Come on TomTom, fix this by allowing to choose output channel. Every other nav app has this possibility...
  • FamousmrEdFamousmrEd Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Simply need the choice: send sound via BT or on iPhone device itself. It would be nice to have the option that you can listen radio while the sound of TomTom is going via carspeakers (hence BT) but these solutions are often have so much delay and (too many) unwanted interruption of radio broadcast i personally don't like it. I just want it through my iPhone speaker. i could do that in my previous TomTom app so why not in this (forced upon) TT Mobile Go app????!
  • DonMikDonMik Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    LeifA is spot on !
    This is all that it takes. Navigon and Goggle are already offering this choice which eventually lets people listen to car radio and the app interrupt with announcements and then go back to radio. I will wait purchasing the app until this option exists.
    I agree with FaousmrEd, that an important point is that whatever solution, the app should offer the choice of HDP /AD2P/Phone sound, as some people would still want to have their phone connected to the car stereo for calls, but maybe want sound to come from phone. Personally I'd like the HFP option, despite the delays, but thats individually.
  • afconeafcone Posts: 14 [Legendary Explorer]
    FamousmrEd wrote:
    Simply need the choice: send sound via BT or on iPhone device itself. It would be nice to have the option that you can listen radio while the sound of TomTom is going via carspeakers (hence BT) but these solutions are often have so much delay and (too many) unwanted interruption of radio broadcast i personally don't like it. I just want it through my iPhone speaker. i could do that in my previous TomTom app so why not in this (forced upon) TT Mobile Go app????!

I might not be following but I think you can do this - certainly I have my radio playing with Tomtom coming out of the phone speaker but with the phone still connected to the car via Bluetooth so that calls get routed to the car. To do this I simply wait until the phone has linked up with the car, then swipe up from the bottom of the screen and then select 'iphone' instead of 'car'. This then plays the Tomtom out of the speakers but whenever I receive or make a call it does it through the car. (You do sometimes have to reselect 'iphone' after a call is finished however).
  • ianbryant66ianbryant66 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I agree to have the option in the app is needed, I use my app most days and have to say enjoying it other than the sound as every time I start the car it changes it to BT when I need to have the sound on the iPhone speaker. As the VW set up will only put the sound through the unit if you are playing music from my phone.
  • WozzackWozzack Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    Yes but having to change the phone output setting every time the engine is started is an unacceptable step! Google manages to do it properly so TomTom needs to sort this out. You can imagine the scenario of forgetting this unnecessary step and then changing the setting while moving which is then dangerous and opens the driver up to prosecution