TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

TomTom GO Mobile-app not for Nexus 6P?

Comments

• Motty2012Motty2012 Posts: 7 [Legendary Explorer]
    It's absolutely to do with the Tomtom app and they need to fix it.
  • walkerxwalkerx Posts: 248 [Master Explorer]
    whoops noticed i've just noticed had put hardware instead of software, but i know other developers are blaming the operating system and hardware for their apps not to work, even though their apps work on the same operating system on another phone
  • RafaelRamosRafaelRamos Posts: 19 TomTom Employee
    Hi everyone,

Rafael here. I'm an engineer in the team that develops the TomTom Go Mobile for Android.

First, I'd like to apologize for having to temporarily remove the support for the Nexus 5x and the Nexus 6p.
    The reason why we did this was because we noticed that the app was taking an unreasonable amount of time to load on those devices. We're talking about 45+ seconds just to start the app, which I suppose we all agree that is unacceptable.

After some extensive investigation on our side, we found out that the delay is caused by the introduction of a new file system on Android Marshmallow and this new file system is not performing optimally in all situations. We even raised a ticket directly with Google to get if fixed. But, we still wanted to make the app available as soon as possible to our Nexus 5x/6p users so we continued working on fixes for this bug.
    As of now, there are two potential fixes that improve the performance of the app on those phones and we are in the process of testing them.

I can already tell you that the loading times dropped significantly, which is a very encouraging sign.

I will keep you all updated.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
    Rafael
  • GregH1GregH1 Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Good news! Thanks for the update!
  • Pawlan_usPawlan_us Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    It is true that it takes around 45 seconds to load TT but that is not a reason to ban it from the Playstore.

On my previous phone, a Note 2 with Android 3, it takes 30 seconds to load which I thought was annoying. So please fix your software and don't blame Android.

Frankly the older version of TT for Android which this GO replaces, was MUCH better. It loaded quickly and also the routing was far better. It was easier to enter a destination as well. I was unable to move that to my new nexus 6p. Even though I tried two different apk creators, it would not install on the nexus. I had purchased two copies of it and it was guaranteed for lifetime. I also purchased TT for India and it also was guaranteed for lifetime. Now I cannot use either. Fix them and put them back on the playstore.
  • driverrdriverr Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    I really appreciate this comment. I had sent a long and detailed email to you guys about this matter. I drive hundreds of miles, and not being able to install this app on my Nexus 6P is my hell.

I'm a beta tester for the Waze App by Google, but TT is a million times better at everything. If there is any way for me become a beta tester for your app please let me know.
  • alan78alan78 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Please get this fixed soon, i specifically bought the nexus to double up as a sat nav using the tom tom app.
  • YarisHSDYarisHSD Posts: 145 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Hallo,
    i have install the Update with APKPure. :)
    It is verification but not in Play Store. (Sorry for my english)
    Hi everyone,

I have a quick update for you: we are currently testing the performance of the current release (1.9) on Nexus 5x/6p with the latest Google update that came out yesterday. In parallel, we're also assessing the performance gain with the solutions we came up with to improve performance.

For those of you using the app on Nexus 5x/6p, I have two questions:
    * What's the average time for the app to load from the moment you tap on the icon to the moment the map shows up?
    * What's the android version running on your device?

Thanks!
  • PgarnyPgarny Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    45 seconds to 60 seconds for me
  • PgarnyPgarny Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    ps new version 1.9 takes 30 seconds for me
  • YarisHSDYarisHSD Posts: 145 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Exakt 30sec. Android 6.0.1. Nexus 6P
  • veyselbozacioglveyselbozaciogl Posts: 63 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Hello,
    I just bought a new phone, the Nexus 6P unfortunately the app doesn't support the Nexus 6P...
    Before my Nexus 6P I had a Samsung s4 and it worked perfectly. I also have also have a subscription till May 2016.

When will the app be available for the Nexus 6P?
  • veyselbozacioglveyselbozaciogl Posts: 63 [Outstanding Explorer]
    YarisHSD wrote:
    Exakt 30sec. Android 6.0.1. Nexus 6P
  • toesnztoesnz Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    9-10 seconds to open Go 1.8 on my 5x running latest version MHC19J, it's a stock image but is rooted running Franco Kernel. Would be great to have access to 1.9. To be honest, the 5x is like the phone it should be with the latest firmware rather than what we have been putting up with for the last few months.
  • toesnztoesnz Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I used APK extractor [several version in app store] to extract it from my old phone, put it into a drive folder and then ran the apk on my 5x, Tomtom Go is working a treat, it's version 1.8 and i'm completely happy
  • GeorgeMAGeorgeMA Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Not quite sure I follow the logic behind all of this: -

1) You have a working application on the Nexus 6P, albeit it the app loads slowly (45 Sec), which people seem OK with.
    2) You completely break the application by removing it from the store and in doing so impact your customers that use the application
    3) Not sure how that benefits anyone....

Why not simply communicate to customers that you have proactively found a problem, are working on a performance improvement, are working with Android developers and will issue a patch soon. That way customers get to use what they have paid for, they know you are working on an issue, everybody like the performance boost, you look like the good guys and stops all of the angst in the forum.

I have a 6P and this kind of support and disregard for customers will make me think twice about buying a TT product for any mobile platform.
    TomTom... Come on now, this is unacceptable.

For what was a mere 'slow start up' you have caused a huge amount of us to be sat in hours of traffic, or unable to do the journeys your app enabled us to do. Furthermore, many of us have PAID for this service.

Even if it comes with an install warning or anything. Can you please let us download and use the app. I have lost my patience & now I'm really annoyed with you guys.

PS. When it worked, you had the best app by a long, long way!!
  • c20h25n3oc20h25n3o Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    Great that you're working on this, but will I be reimbursed for the 2+ months I'm unable to use this app?
  • GuidoKJGuidoKJ Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I paid for this app, will you return my money back due to not being able to use it on my Nexus 6P? Will you extend the subscription time due to not being able to use the app I paid for?

Would like to hear from you devs.

Thanks.
  • GregH1GregH1 Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Hi @RafaelRamos
    How's the testing progressing? Any target date for the fix to be released?
    Thank,
  • trisonictrisonic Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    For those of you using the app on Nexus 5x/6p, I have two questions:
    * What's the average time for the app to load from the moment you tap on the icon to the moment the map shows up?
    * What's the android version running on your device?

30sec on nexus 5x with android 6.0.1 build mhc19j
  • Doug BrooksDoug Brooks Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Please just add it back to the store and we will live the the slow loading times for the time being, then role out the fix when it is ready via an update. Is it really that difficult an idea to grasp, we have paid for this app and now you have removed the option for us to use it!
    Are you going to extend our license for it by the amount of time you are preventing us from using it by?
    NOT impressed in the slightest
    I honestly have lost a HUGE, GIGANTIC amount of respect for TomTom over this. I get that the app was slow starting up, I understand why they pulled the app. But to not have it working a WHOLE month later is appalling. I have had to search out & download the version 1.9 apk online & you know what?
    It works perfectly, just as it did before TomTom pulled it. Loads in less than 10 seconds & hasn't crashed at all (600+ miles).

So TomTom. Why isn't it back please?
    Hi everyone,

Again, we are truly sorry about this situation. We decided to pull the app from these devices because we believe that the issues caused by the fuse file system on those files cause the app to perform way below our quality standards.
    We are working together with Google itself to make sure we can reach the level of performance we all want for the app.

In the meantime, different teams in TomTom have been working tirelessly to shave off start up times and increase overall performance of the app. As you can imagine, it's not an easy thing to do and it does take time for us to make sure all these changes won't cause any regressions.
    Nobody wants to have an app that works fast but crashes or behaves erratically.

Having said that, I'm pleased to say that we have put a few improvements in place and we're currently testing our next release. Our tests indicate that start up times improved by at least 50%. This huge performance boost made us decide to whitelist these devices as part of the next app update.

Cheers,
    Rafael