microSDHC Memory Cards for VIA 220 (Start 20) — TomTom Community

microSDHC Memory Cards for VIA 220 (Start 20)

The support and social media teams confirmed that a microSDHC card for my VIA 220 would work. I purchased a Patriot LX 16GB class 10 microSDHC card. I put it in, watched it tell me that it is reading the memory card then fired up MyTomTom to load up the US & Canada map. That's where the fun stopped - when I get to the Insert a Memory Card I click continue, watch it sit on the "Checking for a Memory Card" screen and then jump back to "Insert a Memory card". No error message, no indication of what went wrong.

I'm really starting to regret my TomTom purchase - support has been painful and slow and the software is very fragile. Any thoughts on what to do next?

Comments

• colinbowerncolinbowern Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Well that wasn't even close to obvious - had to do a soft reset of the device

I hope the team who designed this device and software will consider taking a few courses in user experience because this is far from polished.
  • drivingdog81drivingdog81 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Information about MicroSDHC cards for the Start20 is non existent in tomtoms operators manual or web site. 

When I fitted a 4Gbit card in my Start 20 the screen read "reading memory" for about 2 minutes then gave up and returned to the main menu.

I trawled "my Tom Tom " for ages and there were no clues or help regarding memory cards for my device.

Finally, after reading a Customers letter on this forum I tried a soft reset.

Ignore tomtoms advice for a soft reset - its not clearly explained. Please do the following:-

Make sure your Tomtom start 20 is switched off.

Remove the usb cable and Insert the microSDHC card in the memory card slot (at right angles to the usb slot)

Switch on the tomtom start 20 and wait until the screen shows your location or the main menu.

Press and HOLD the on / off button for at least 20 seconds, during these 20 seconds the tomtom will switch off then, after a while, will switch on again and you will hear the tomtom drum.

The screen will then ask you if you want to format the memory card, select "yes"

After a short while the tomtom will confirm the memory card formatting has been succesful.

The memory card is then ready to use.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,209 Superusers
    Glad you got it sorted.

What should have happened (but obviously did not) was that as soon as you inserted the card, it should have odetected the presence and offered to format it immediately.
  • baisbais Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    thanks for your help
  • Adrian PenaAdrian Pena Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you for the correct answer on how to format a micro sd card for my VIA1535.
  • SyncSync Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Yes, a soft reset worked for me as well. But I have to agree with the original posting about the sensitivity of the software. When it's out on the road it works fine, but connecting it to the computer is a dicey business.