Why are there no security features for Tomtom product?

2»

Comments

• AdendumAdendum Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have just taken delivery of a TT Via 125 to replace my old TT Go 500 and I am also bemused as to the lack of a security feature. The Go 500 had a simple 4 digit PIN, which admittedly wont stop a theif getting the SatNav but at least it is a deterant.

As my old TT Go 500 was several years old I had assumed the security on a modern device would be even better than a 4 digit PIN but I have to say I was shocked at seeing nothing.

Can we have an add-on? Surely your tecnicians can easily produce a small piece of software that we can download that allows those that want it to implement some kind of security - ideally allow the user to set how many digits they want to use so they can combine their birth date, post code, phone number or whtever to make a failry complex PIN. AFter all the OS is based on Linux so there should be loads of programmers out there able to make this for a few peanuts!

Do we need to compile a petition I wonder?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,500 Superusers
    Hi

The old system was so easy to circumvent, it was almost pointless 15660i811D57B844A9F445.png

ATB YFM  
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    I just purchased an expensive GO2535 TM WTE model Nav and I'm quite surprised that it does not require a security code to operate it. Smartphones, in-car audio systems and most everything else requires a security code these days to access/use them and certainly an expensive Nav device should also.

As far as a thief smashing your window and stealing your Nav - that's a given (right now), if it is in plain sight. However word travels fast amongst the criminals and if every Nav maker employed a security code every time a Nav was turned on just like with a smartphone, you'd see a huge drop in Nav thefts because the resale value would drop to zero.

TT could track the thieves real time right now if they wanted to help police catch criminals. All an owner would need to do is contact TT to report the theft of their Nav unit and the serial number. My guess is that TT doesn't want to be bothered dealing with all the thefts of TT units. Adding a proper security code would deter thieves and reduce any need for TT to get involved with police, which is a win-win-win situation for all involved.

The down side of course to an automatic security code is that TT would need to set up a database with owner info. so that when someone forgets their access code they must work thru a series of online/phone security questions before the code is given to them. Yes this takes a little effort on TT's part but it's better than losing a customer to Garmin.
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    And what the security code does to an expensive smartphone (such as iPhone)? Nothing really. You just need to re-flash the software and the code is gone. They will always nick whatever is in their sight. They would steal your bag from the passenger seat, with your dirty underwear inside, since they don't know what is in the bag. They steal not only TomTom's, but Garmin, Navman, Magellan , iGO and everything else.

If you have a content insurance for the car, that would cover the satnav as well. Not everywhere though. The biggest inconvenience is your car's window, the fee for replacing it and the time you loose. Everything has a resale value. Not for you or me, but there are always people who will give a few £s and buy it in quantities.

TomTom is also not law enforcement, therefore they can't track anything down. Just like your mobile phone provider. They can't track you down either. Police can. But even the police would bother if it was some serious crime.
  • TechmeisterTechmeister Posts: 121 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I respectfully disagree. Thieves want something of value that they can turn into cash quickly. They ain't going to flash anything if the word on the street is that all Nav systems now have security codes and that they can't be re-flashed - which is easy to implement for manufacturers. I know for a fact that security codes have dropped the theft of in-car entertainment systems as has etching serial numbers into vehicle components.

Most auto insurance policies have a $250-$500 deductible so you aren't likely to get much of anything from the insurance company. In additon any insurance claim generally results in increased premium costs forever. The damage to the auto can be substantial however so it would be far better for thieves to know that a stolen Nav unit is worthless so they go to another opportunity.

When you add a database system that monitors Nav units as virtually all Nav makers do when a unit is in operation, then police could know immediately the exact location of the stolen device and arrest the perps. That would go a long ways towards detering Nav thefts. The technology is already in place to dramatically reduce crime and theft of electronic devices and it should be implemented.

If TT fails to implement a security PIN in their products you can expect them to lose a lot of customers due to their negligence and inappropriate decisions because consumers have a choice and Garmin does use a PIN.
    And Garmin's pin can be bruteforced without any problem. There are even YouTube videos how to do it.

Also if PIN and other security measured deter theft, can you please tell why are some stealing mobile phones? Not talking about the SIM PIN now, but all sort of other security features.

Do you think the thieves are brainiacs and have an extensive research before they smash your window? They won't look at it to find out if you have a £20 satnav off eBay or one for £350 from Halfords.

Don't even compare a car radio with a satnav. To take your satnav takes 2 seconds to snatch. To get an in-car radio, you have to carry a fee different removal kits, you need to get in the car, remove it, unplug the wires and go. That takes longer. And believe me, there are groups who can decode any car radio.

Haven't you heard about some of the latest BMWs? The thieves can take them with a device that can be bought freely from China. They open up the lock and start up the car without a key or causing any damage to the car. And we are not talking about £99 satnavs but £50k top of the range cars.

Edit: Also having the option to use a pin doesn't mean that one will use it. So either way thieves will try. Don't leave the satnav in the car, it won't get stolen and most importantly they won't smash your window.

Believe me, if you leave your walet on the dashboard, with no money and only some membership cards, they will smash your window and snatch it, since they don't know it from outside what is included. Can be your PIN-less Amex with millions on it and a couple of £50 notes...or not.

Edit2: Also there is no such thing as worthless. For junkies £10 is another £10 closer to the next shot. And any satnav has at least £20-30 worth of screen, speaker, casing, etc.
  • TechmeisterTechmeister Posts: 121 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    The good news is that consumers get to vote with their wallet for the companies and products that best meet their needs.
    True. But certain features deal breakers only for a minor group. If someone will buy an inferior device just because it has a PIN function and then either use it or not, but leaving in the car and get it snatched, will it make one happier? Still got it taken off, still has a smashed window, still need to get that fixed.

Just don't blooming leave it in the car, sorted.
  • tep585tep585 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    There's not much that can be done to prevent thieves from getting these devices and Tom Tom will never provide tracking capability; however, I would be satisfied if one could request that the information currently on the device (recent addresses, home address) be removed the first time it is turned on after being reported stolen.   
  • Bill_RobertsBill_Roberts Posts: 478 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Perhaps it would be better if it totally overwrote  the memory with cr*p the first time it was connected after officially being reported as stolen.
    Regards
    Bill
    Yep...that should happen. Can't even be difficult to implement it...
  • terry kenterry ken Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have just purchased a tom tom start 25 been looking for security features lol .it will be going back for ex change for a garmin