Cannot pair with Android 6.0 — TomTom Community

Cannot pair with Android 6.0

Rotary99Rotary99 Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
Sorry to tell. It happens again on Android 6.0 Marshmallow with my Nexus 5.
Please do not update to 6.0 if you want to keep your watch connected.

Topic here:
https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/runner-and-multi-sport-184/multi-sport-fail-to-pair-bluetooth-again-this-time-android-m-990989/index1.html#post1034752

Comments

• StraToN54StraToN54 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just received my new watch Runner Cardio here. As a Linux user (not very surprised of TomTom not providing any MySports binary for Linux although it would be rather easy considering the technologies used, but oh well...) I found very nice being able to sync the wztch with my Android smartphone.

As the OP stated, I'm not able to pair the watch from the app, since the PIN pad won't show up. It does from Bluetooth parameters, not from the app, so I assume that the problem comes from the app.

Then I came here, searching for a solution and saw that this post was firstly created NINE MONTHS AGO. Seriously?

I absolutely don't care Android is more difficult to develop than iOS because "TT and others need to somehow find a way to make their app work across every version". Android and iOS share the market, each has its downsides, but developers have to deal with it - or forget it completely. I am a developer and I understand the problem, BUT here I am a customer. This problem has been reported since nearly one year now, this is not acceptable. Period.

TT, do what you have to do : either fix and support early versions of Android (KitKat + 6.0), and/or (in my case, but I think about others) release Linux binaries.
  • StraToN54StraToN54 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just to add a precision : I already tried to pair the watch from the Bluetooth parameters. The PIN pad shows up and the watch seems paired, but launching MySports app afterwards doesn't show the watch. The pairing process starts again, with no PIN pad showing up.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for reporting this issue!

I'll forward it to the product team.

Cheers, Mikko
  • kubilus1kubilus1 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm on 6.0.1 add cannot pair my GPS Runner. The pairing process ususally just sits on "Connecting". Occasionally I get the par where I can enter the pair key, but it seems to hang. This is getting really frustrating.

StraToN54, I also agree with you about lack of Linux support.

I really don't like having to tie this to a Windows desktop. If I can't use this with Android, this thing is useless to me.

Phone: Nexus 5x
    Android 6.0.1
  • kubilus1kubilus1 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    After about 30 tries, I finally got a pairing. The last time I turned off wifi and location, leaving just bluetooth on. Not sure if that made a difference or not. Regardless, there seems to be something really funky with the TomTom pairing on Android 6.
  • DanimatosDanimatos Posts: 59 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    StraToN54 wrote:
    Just to add a precision : I already tried to pair the watch from the Bluetooth parameters. The PIN pad shows up and the watch seems paired, but launching MySports app afterwards doesn't show the watch. The pairing process starts again, with no PIN pad showing up.
    That didn't work for me, if I try to pair from the Bluetooth settings the watch doesn't show, and from MySports app I have the same issue, with my Moto X 2014.
    kubilus1 wrote:
    After about 30 tries, I finally got a pairing. The last time I turned off wifi and location, leaving just bluetooth on. Not sure if that made a difference or not. Regardless, there seems to be something really funky with the TomTom pairing on Android 6.
    If I turn off location, TT app does not find the watch, if I turn off wifi it finds, ask for PIN code but when I click pair, it simply says that pin is incorrect, but I can't entre this damn PIN.
    Moto X 2014 with Android M.
    kubilus1 wrote:
    If I turn off location, TT app does not find the watch, if I turn off wifi it finds, ask for PIN code but when I click pair, it simply says that pin is incorrect, but I can't enter this damn PIN.
    Moto X 2014 with Android M.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

If you're having difficulties connect to the MySports Android app, please state the following to help us investigate the issue:
    • Watch software version
    • Phone model
    • Android version
    • MySports app version
    Thanks, Mikko
  • davebardavebar Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi MikkoK

Similar issue to the OP. I just upgraded my LG G4 to Android 6 (Marshmallow) yesterday evening. Before then I've not had any issues syncing with my phone. Now I can't get the two devices to pair (TomTom Runner watch and Android phone).

> Watch software version 1.8.46
    > Phone model LG G4
    > Android version 6.0
    > MySports app version 2.0.12-58b77f0

I tried unpairing the devices, turning off syncing via the watch, turning syncing back on. It seems the two can "see" each other. The watch will display the PIN for entering on the App. An Android message appears asking for permission to pair and I choose "Pair" then immediately get an error "Cannot pair with this device, try again later". This happens every time for me. I don't get a chance to enter the PIN in the MySports App.

Grateful for any help you can provide as I don't like having to plug the watch into my computer each time in order to sync.

Thanks.
  • Pa3GwHPa3GwH Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same problem here, updated the phone to Android 6 and there is no way to pair the watch, my info:
    Watch software version : 1.8.42 on TomTom Multisport
    Phone model: HTC One M8
    Android version: 6.0 software number 6.12.401.4
    MySports app version: 2.0.12-58b77f0

Hope you guys are working on a fix... because if this is true for the complete line of sportswatches this is killing... I am holding back on buying a Spark for my wife for now.
    Pa3GwH wrote:
    Hope you guys are working on a fix... because if this is true for the complete line of sportswatches this is killing... I am holding back on buying a Spark for my wife for now.
    I think they are not working on a fix.
    Mikkok awnsereded that this problem was solved on MySports version 2.08, but we use 2.012 and the problem showed again or they din't fix it.
    Here is his awnser
  • e13whue13whu Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi,
    My phone done an android update and now it wont recognise my watch or pair. It can see it to pair with but wont let me get to the adding keycode stage. Pretty disappointed, I only got it for the Bluetooth link up.
    Watch software version :1.8.46
    Phone : HTC M9
    Android Version: 6.0
    Mysports version: v2.11.11-b16bdce
    Hi e13whu.
    Welcome to the party!!
    It seems that TomTom forget to run some tests on Android 6.
  • porti46porti46 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, here the same case. The bug is present also in my watch when I have updated my phone.
    Phone: LG G4
    Android 6.0
  • e13whue13whu Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hopefully this is a simple fix, I really like my watch and could do without getting a different one.
    Fingers crossed
  • JPSneldersJPSnelders Posts: 12 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Same issue here. twice since we have two tomtom multisport cardio watches and two HTC M9 running android 6.0 :( please fix this bug quick
  • parkerparker Posts: 21 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Watch software version : 1.2 on TomTom Cardio (also with 2 previous releases)
    Phone model: Nexus 6p
    Android version: 6.0.1

No keyboard prompt
  • pecelitopecelito Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same problem here, updated the phone to Android 6 and there is no way to pair the watch, my info:
    Watch software version: 1.8.46 on TomTom Multisport
    Phone model: Motorola X XT1097
    Android version: 6.0
  • Soups88Soups88 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, i have the same issue here in the UK. its been like this now 3 weeks since update and worked well before android 6 was released
    Phone: LG G4
    Android 6.0
    I know there are many cell phones out there on different software but a company as big as TomTom you would think they would get this right. I even wrote on to TomTom on Twitter, but nothing came back.
    hopefully we will get the update and not just keep using the laptop all the time now.
  • manuvarmanuvar Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    From Chile.... same problem... imposible pair the watch..... please any help TomTom...
    Phone: motorola x 2014 (xt1097)
    Android 6.0
  • Richardkn79Richardkn79 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    No pin request either.
    Phone: HTC m8 One
    Android 6.0
  • kbolerkboler Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same issue, no pin request

Phone: HTC m8 One & Nexus 5x
    Android 6.0
  • DejaldirDejaldir Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]

Phone: Moto G 2°.
    Android 6.0.
    Watch software version : 1.8.46.
    MySports app version: 2.0.12-58b77f0.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,573
    Superusers
    Dejaldir wrote:

Phone: Moto G 2°.
    Android 6.0.
    Watch software version : 1.8.46.
    MySports app version: 2.0.12-58b77f0.

Try these steps posted by another user on a different thread:

I have the latest software 1.2 or something like that.

Take care:
    At the point that you click on the round greenish thing on your screen to make your phone connect,
    and you wait a while you will (hopefully) see your watch displayed on the bottom bar.

Tick on the name of your phone on that bottom bar.
    (it took me a while to find out that I should tick on the name of my watch)

Then a numeric pad will show and you give in the number displayed on your watch.

After that you will be connected and Android 6 will ask you if the watch can be trusted in the future.

Hope this helps.

PS I rebooted the phone a few times while trying.