start25

Just bought a start 25 and cannot get gps signal tried everything can it be a faulty device ?

Comments

• StefanStefan Posts: 6,090 Superusers
    Is the latest navigator version installed? This fixes a leap year bug which prevents the signals from being received. If not already done, download the myTomTom Support Application:

[url=http://www.tomtom.com/getstarted"; target="_blank]http://www.tomtom.com/getstarted[/url]
  • Grandad_BodGrandad_Bod Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I appreciate your frustation but you need to ensure that you're up to date.

Make sure you have the MyTomtom application installed on your PC and take its advice if it tells you there are updates available for download, It doesn't cost anything to get the latest app' so get on line and download it.

If that fails, get the device repaired. TomTom have a fairly well sorted system (seems to be used frequently!).

Bod
  • jtonline-1005jtonline-1005 Posts: 141 [Supreme Navigator]
    An explanation of the mandatory software update and how to install it (watch the video) can be found here:

http://www.tomtom.com/386

My current device: GO LIVE 1005 Europe v2
    TomTom Active Dock for fixed installation
    atFoliX FX Anti-reflection screen protection foil

(Ex user of other TomTom devices)

Please help other TomTom Community members identify useful content by clicking the Kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the Accepted Solution.

Blog ¦ Twitter
  • kerplunkkerplunk Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I checked for updates and I'm up to speed, just can't get a signal. What a waste of time.
  • CatNipCatNip Posts: 480 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Can take a long time when new. When you say you checked for updates does that mean that updates, including QuickGPSfix was downloaded to your device? Also, is the battery fully charged?
    It isn't new, I've had it some time. It worked perfectly well till the update. And yes it's fully charged! I checked for updates and QuickGPSfix wasn't an option. Do I already have it or I s there an alternative way to download it?
    Which update?
    Also, QuickGPSfix is always an 'option'. You can't de-select it, it always downloads. How many updates were downloaded? It's usually two - Community plus QuickGPSfix. Different QickGPSfix's seem to vary in quality or something. Sometimes they provide a satellite lock within 30 seconds, others seem to wait around for ever with a weak signal. But the TomTom should still work OK in a car in normal use.
    I updated whatever was offered. This obviously included QuickGPSfix as it's no longer on offer. Perhaps this is the cause of all the bugs. One thing's for sure, I need a new satnav and a Garmin is looking like the best option.
    Um... If "can't get a signal" includes in normal use in the car, and nothing else has changed recently, then I can only suggest trying the device reset. Turn on and hold in start button until you hear the TomTom drum roll restart. I don't find this to be necessary following updates etc, but it's what is usually recommended in these circumstances. If this fails I would contact support.

You should only lose your device timezone with this:

Click here