TomTom completes the move to the next generation map platform — TomTom Community

TomTom completes the move to the next generation map platform

justbrowsingjustbrowsing Posts: 3,094 [Renowned Trailblazer]
edited January 2019 in News and announcements
See here for new announcement:- http://investors.tomtom.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=947443

World's first transactional mapmaking platform enables real-time maps

Amsterdam, 18 December 2015 – TomTom (TOM2) continues to innovate with completing the move to its new transactional-based mapmaking platform. This platform is the first of its kind in the map industry and a leap forward in mapmaking technologies. It furthers TomTom’s lead in delivering the highest quality and up-to-date maps optimizing on crowdsourced data alongside traditional mapmaking methods. This launch represents a significant milestone for the company and is the critical step to bringing real-time maps to customers.

“We are the first to deliver a global platform that allows for map updates to be continuously released to users,” said Harold Goddijn, CEO at TomTom. “The era of map updates in batches is over, now we can update maps as changes are detected. This puts TomTom in a unique position to start providing the real-time quality and accuracy needed for the future use-cases such as driver assistance applications and highly automated driving.”

TomTom’s new transactional mapmaking platform brings great advantages in efficiencies and minimises the time between detecting changes in the real-world and updating the map on an end-user’s device. A change can pass through TomTom’s mapmaking process, be fully quality assured in real-time, and end up in a customer’s map in just minutes. This new platform can scale to process new sources of sensor data efficiently, furthering TomTom’s lead in optimising professional and community input mapmaking techniques. End-users using TomTom’s real-time maps will always have accurate and up-to-date maps across automotive, mobile and location-based online applications.

“This has been a huge, complex project for the maps team at TomTom and I’m very proud of what we’ve achieved and the time in which it has been achieved,” said Charles Cautley, Managing Director Maps & Licensing at TomTom. “There is a lot of potential with this new platform and with it we look forward to delivering the high-quality map content that meets the growing customer location requirements.”

To see how TomTom’s mapmaking platform works, please click here:

-ENDS-

Comments

• MegalosMegalos Posts: 6,058
    Superusers
    See also this video:

[video]
  • GEBGEB Posts: 1,370
    Superusers
    See here for new announcement:- http://investors.tomtom.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=947443

World's first transactional mapmaking platform enables real-time maps

just followed the link, clicked "Next Release" (upper right) and got :

Page Error

An error has occurred on the page you are attempting to access.

You can retry your request by clicking the back button on your browser.

If you are still receiving this error, please contact us so that we can identify the source of this error.

... World's first transactional mapmaker ... but not yet World Class Software Company ;););)
  • justbrowsingjustbrowsing Posts: 3,094 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Seems OK for me still.
  • truesdaletruesdale Posts: 28 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    the link for the announcement has been viewed by myself 2 consecutive days,working well
    Superusers
    Yes but THEN try to click on "Next Release" in the upper right of the page ...
    Of course I'm almost sure there's NO other Release (currently ...), but a well written software would not display a Page error ... (or even better not display "Next Release" at all!)
  • Range SportRange Sport Posts: 23 [Outstanding Explorer]
    With you updating this, I seem to have lost much of the TomTom stuff I used to use every day - Live Traffic info very clearly displayed, and a simple and clear Route Planner. I cannot see the live traffic any more, and I cannot plan a route using Tomtom, so am having to revert to the AA or Garmin. This has all happened in the last 2 days. Very disappointing so far!
  • MegalosMegalos Posts: 6,058
    Superusers
    With you updating this, I seem to have lost much of the TomTom stuff I used to use every day - Live Traffic info very clearly displayed, and a simple and clear Route Planner. I cannot see the live traffic any more, and I cannot plan a route using Tomtom, so am having to revert to the AA or Garmin. This has all happened in the last 2 days. Very disappointing so far!
    Hi, life traffic information should be visible on the new website: https://mydrive.tomtom.com. Is the traffic not showing there for you?
    Yes, it is today, although I still have to log in to see it, and it doesn't display the delay when the mouse just hovers over it. I suppose it'll work, but it's a lot less intuitive and easy to use than the previous version. I'm sure there is some tech reason why it's better, but from the users's perspective...
  • tulbatulba Posts: 18 [Outstanding Explorer]
    So how do the real-time map changes get updated on my device? Via my smartphone? Or via MDC? This is not explained in the video. An explanation would be appreciated.
    Superusers
    All this stuff is not yet released and needs lots of hardware and software resources on the device; probably Smartphones running TomTom Go Mobile are satisfying the requirements, but I won't hold my breath for what concerns current PNDs ( with the exception of TomTom Bridge) ... even if the 5x0/6x0 range can be connected to a Smartphone ... via Bluetooth ... which btw is NOT the case for 5x00/6x00 :(
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,011
    Superusers
    I suppose it will happen via MyDrive Connect as usual. But we will see.
    Superusers
    ... well I was thinking about real ... real-time maps updates ... ie even while driving ;)
    Superusers
    Doubt it will happen. Imagine a map update that goes wrong, in the middle of a journey and bricks the device. Also doubt TT will have some super unlimited data package with Vodafone :)
    Superusers
    Zsolt wrote:
    Doubt it will happen. Imagine a map update that goes wrong, in the middle of a journey and bricks the device. :)
    ... in a driverless car !!! :):):)
    Superusers
    I suppose that would have no PND either, neither a satnav with a screen. What for :)
  • r.marksr.marks Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just like range sport, this new MyDrive in my opinion, lacks functionalities that were available in the old route.tomtom.com.
    Is the old live traffic version still available somewhere?

Functions I really miss after the update:
    - Checkbox 'minimise delays', so you could see what the delay was for the route without detours, which sometimes only was 1 minute.
    - A refresh button. The page updates once every couple minutes (could be less or more), but I want to be able to refresh when I want it to refresh. If I refresh the browser it erases the route I entered earlier and I have to plan my route again. I can refresh it, but I have to enter the destination again, since the 'plan route' button is gone.
    - A reverse button. The old routes.tomtom had a 'reverse' button, now I have to manually type everything again.
    - The new fancy interface, is much more mouse-driven. Using TAB on the keyboard doesn't work, you need to click on the menu-items you want. Also it now has fancy animations, which simply take more time.
    - On a mobile device the site is not usable anymore. The big 'plan route' window completely covers the map.
    - I used to have al my routes saved as a favourite URL on my mobile device. But in the new mydrive, these URL's don't work anymore.

In my opinion routes.tomtom was superior to any other traffic info site.
    However, after this update, Google Traffic and Waze have passed TomTom in my ranking. But the old live traffic was way ahead of the pack.

I really hope the old routes.tomtom is still available somewhere, or that MyDrive is getting improved.
    This new MyDrive, in my opinion, really is a step backwards... which is a shame... and totally unnecessary.
  • UrielUriel Posts: 598 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I still have a machine running IE9 (I'm not an administrator for it and thankfully it's due to be upgraded soon). the old routes.tomtom.com site worked but mydrive.tomtom.com doesn't.
    Superusers
    Looks like the old site is back up again.
    You are right! Wonderful!
    Good stuff. The old site is indeed working again.
    Very happy about this. And I'm using it again every day!
    Sadly the old version of live traffic is disabled again...
    And we're being forced to use MyDrive (redirected). I guess this happened when TomTom City was released.

I hope the old version was disabled by accident, when releasing TomTom City or something like that.
    And I hope the old, live traffic version gets enabled again soon!
    So do I. As a user it's horribly complicated and unintuitive. Please please let's get back to the old traffic map. TomTom, if it ain't broke, why spend squillions trying to fix it?
  • acid-dropacid-drop Posts: 116 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    You can continue that discussion here
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/routetomtomcom-mydrivetomtomcom-1000329

everybody hates mydrive compare to the old working solution.

>TomTom, if it ain't broke, why spend squillions trying to fix it?
    indeed.

We can assume they want to have something better, but we are zillion years away from that now.
  • harsh1311harsh1311 Posts: 196 [Supreme Navigator]
    This is all just marketing. Near my home in Utrecht, Leidscherijn tunnel has now been opened up for past 5-6 months. I have recieved two new map updates since then but even the latest one does not have that tunnel included. This is a major tunnel used by thousands of users everyday and I have reported this online as well, however to no avail. Can you please take note of this?
    Superusers
    Have you done it via MSR? If yes, what is the status of it?
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0