TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

Street names not showing when driving on main roads

mcn31lmcn31l Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
edited January 26 in Archived Discussions
I have recently purchased the GO 6100 after years of having a Garmin. To say the two devices are different is an understatement.

The biggest single issue that I have with the TomTom is that when driving along a main road (I live in Adelaide where there are numerous roads that have National road like numbers e.g. A21) all the surrounding street names disappear. As soon as I turn off the main road they all magically appear again. I have not been able to find a setting that lets me uncheck this "option" and it is extremely frustrating. A GPS really only has two functions and that is to direct you where to go or show you where you are. The first part it does great, the second is done horrendously...

Any ideas how I can fix this issue?

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,094 Superusers
    Are you in 2D or 3D mode?
  • mcn31lmcn31l Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    3D mode.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,094 Superusers
    Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds.

Also, try support to assist:
    Australia
    1300 135 604
    Monday-Friday:9:00 am to 5:30 pm AEST
  • mcn31lmcn31l Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    The thing is, I believe that this is not so much a bug as a poorly implemented feature. When not driving on a main road, street names show. As soon as on a main road the software goes into an overview mode and shows only suburb names. This would be extremely useful when driving on a motorway or freeway as these 'side roads' are not easily accessible. My Garmin handled this by using speed to determine if overview mode was required. The TomTom seems to be based on road designation.

Either way, to cover all bases, the software should allow this feature to be disabled when necessary e.g. when driving on main roads and enabled when preferred e.g. when driving on freeways etc.

I will call support to highlight the issue but I am expecting that the only way for this to be corrected, is to change the software.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online52

chelby62
chelby62
jojoledemago
jojoledemago
Siciliano
Siciliano
+49 Guests