Is MyDrive Connect compatible with Windows 10?

Comments

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    Try some of these:

*Always make sure that you are logged in with the correct account. One device, one account*

*** for Windows 10 users ***

If you have just updated recently, you might run into trouble with TT (and other devices too). Disconnect the device, uninstall the MyDrive Connect support app with Revo Uninstaller, restart the PC, download the latest MyDrive Connect installer from http://www.tomtom.com/getstarted and install it again. Also in Windows 10, click on the "Start" menu (Windows icon in lower left corner), click on Settings and then Updates. Look for further updates, download and install those. Restart the PC, wait a minute or two, until everything starts up. Connect the device. If it is not recognised yet, keep it connected and then press and hold the ON button, until you hear the drum roll. Then wait another minute. If you have no luck yet, visit the web site of the manufacturer of the PC and look for newer (Windows 10 compatible) USB or chipset drivers for your computer and install it.

*** TT CS official reply that worked for many with W10 issue ***

Close MyDrive Connect completely:
    If your navigation device is connected to the computer, disconnect it.
    Click the MyDrive Connect icon ( or ) in the Windows notification area or Apple menu bar and then select > Quit
    Uninstall MyDrive:
    Click on the Start button and go to All Programs › TomTom › Uninstall TomTom MyDrive
    Alternatively you can use Add or Remove Programs in the Contol Panel to remove TomTom MyDrive Connect.
    Remove the application file:
    Press the Windows logo key +R to open the Windows Run dialog
    Type %localappdata%. Click OK.
    You will see list of folder. Find and open TomTom folder
    Delete HOME 3 folder.
    Delete the MyDrive Connect folder from: C:\Program Files (x86) (if still present)
    Delete the TomTom folder from: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\ (USERNAME - It is the user name which you use to login to Windows )
    Delete the TomTom folder from: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\
    Delete every file and folder from: C:\Windows\Temp\ (in case some files can't be removed, reboot the PC and retry)
    Restart your computer.

Re download a new installer from http://www.tomtom.com/mydrive (I recommend you to use the Google Chrome while downloading the installer)

Now install MyDrive Connect with the newly downloaded installer.

After the installation process of the new MyDrive application completes successfully, please restart your computer. Now, check if the application is able to connect to your device properly or not.

*** For further troubleshooting tips, please see below ***

PLEASE NOTE:

- It is very unlikely that one would have to do these all, it is usually one of the below mentioned possibilities

- As in IT Crowd: Have you tried to turn the computer off and on again? :)

- Try to add MyDrive Connect to the exclusion list of your antivirus and firewall (or disable those temporarily)
    - Make sure that your computer is not going into stand-by or similar (this shouldn't happen with the latest MyDrive Connect)
    - Clear the cache before each update attempt. Also could do a soft reset before and after the update
    (http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965/)
    - Make sure you have all the latest updates and hotfixes/patches to your OS (not only the mandatory ones, but the optionals too)
    - In case the device looks like hung during the update or the counter stopped (or not visible at all), just leave it.
    Most probably it will be fine in a few minutes (or within a couple of hours, in case of installing large maps)
    - Check your network connections, make sure that the TT's network adapter is enabled
    - Try to uninstall and re-install the MyDrive Connect application (best to use Revo Uninstaller to remove)
    - Try to use a USB port on the mainboard, rather than a USB hub (desktop PC)
    - Try to change the port to 5000 (or 5001) in MyDrive Connect's settings
    - Try to run the MyDrive Connect app as administrator
    - Sometimes disabling caching large files helps too
    - It is worth checking the USB power saver settings

- Any further issue: Try it on another PC, try it with different USB lead...the shorter the better (below steps are Windows specific)
    - Whilst the device connected, remove the drivers from the Device Manager (Windows/Control Panel), DELETE the drivers
    - Remove the MyDrive Connect application and run CCLEANER (will remove your history, cookies, etc by default)

- At the moment certain USB3 port looks like incompatible with the TT devices (those are usually coloured blue on the PC).
    Could try BIOS update on the PC or enable "Legacy mode" for the USB ports in the BIOS (for further instructions, look for the user manual of your PC/mainboard)
    - Don't use the magnetic mount whilst updating, connect the micro USB directly into the device
    - Disable any network monitoring software
    - Update one item at a time, don't select all.
    Best order: NavCore/software - Map - QuickGPSfix - Speed Cams - Map Share Corrections (this is the smallest but longest in some cases)

Certain Mac versions (10.10.2, 10.10.3 and 10.10.4) have USB issues, but there is an official fix available, provided by Apple.
    The latest version of MyDrive connect is not compatible with Windows XP SP2 and below, make sure that you update to SP3 and install ALL the other updates.
  • FriedbergFriedberg Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Guihan wrote:
    The correct answer appears to be NO. The driver used by the MyDrive update software was the only driver on my computer that was marked "Device not migrated" during my Windows 10 upgrade. Subsequent discussions with Tomtom Support have failed to find a way to allow my Via 620 to connect to the update program. I have also tried connecting using a different Windows 10 machine, but with the same result. Both of these computers had been able to update my Tomtom when they had Windows 7 installed. I think Tomtom need to come up with a new driver that works with MyDrive Connect on Windows 10.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,152 Superusers
    Get the freeware version of Revo Uninstaller from here:
    http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Completely uninstall MyDriveConnect.

Reboot the computer. Do a drum reset on the device.

Get and install a fresh version of MDC from tomtom.com/getstarted

Start MyDriveConnect and connect your device to the computer. See if the connection works better now for your device.
  • FriedbergFriedberg Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    What does "do a drum reset on the device" mean ?
    Press and hold the ON button, until you hear the drum roll.
  • vicannavicanna Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    It is easy if done well, run the installer in compatibility mode in Windows 7, so if you work them windows10
  • marcelgmarcelg Posts: 22 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Hi, i have made all the uninstall task, but after reboot and install again, it start with my user name and password remembered (maybe that's the problem), but update don't change from 0% http://prntscr.com/8jku7t in more than one hour, still connected, the firewall KTS 2016 has open mydriveconnect to work, what must is do?
    Thanks
  • Menorca ManMenorca Man Posts: 7 [Legendary Explorer]
    When the Windows 10/MyDrive Connect trouble shooting guides get as long and diverse as this I call it "Clutching at Straws"!! It is a clear indication that TomTom do not have a handle on why so many users have problems connecting their devices via MyDrive Connect immediately after upgrading their computers to Windows 10. I have literally hundreds of programes installed on my computer and MyDrive Connect is the ONLY one that has proved problematic after upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

Shame on you TomTom. It's unreasonable of you to expect your users to jump through so many hoops in order for MyDrive Connect to play nicely with Windows 10 (often without success).
    In the absence of any official statement to the contrary, it begs the question as to whether TomTom are taking this problem seriously and are fully engaging with Microsoft's Windows 10 development team in order to get to the root cause of the connectivity problem.
    Problem is gone, after 2 hours for less than 200kb of updates, faster than light, jajaja.
    Thanks
    Pile of rubbish. The issue is with the USB drivers in most cases and nothing to do with the TT drivers. Get in touch with your PC's manufacturer. And W10 is rubbish for many people, even without TT devices. It is clearly a Microsoft issue.
    Zsolt wrote:
    Pile of rubbish. The issue is with the USB drivers in most cases and nothing to do with the TT drivers. Get in touch with your PC's manufacturer. And W10 is rubbish for many people, even without TT devices. It is clearly a Microsoft issue.
    Hi, maybe you got the reason about MS, but i don't have any problem on my USB ports, just with my tomtom 1005 live, that's one of the reason that make that i never pay for updates of the maps, most of the times, the update ends with an error, and it make my tomtom empty and without maps, and i need to retry several times till it work, is incredible that for 200kb of updates to transfer it take more than two hours.
    Thanks and good luck
    Do you use USB3 ports on the PC? I have 6 PCs at home, all with W10 and ALL works fine with multiple TT devices.
    I got usb3 and usb 2, but the problem with is with all of them, i know that tomtom says that we should avoid usb3 for their devices.
    Thanks
    They don't say as far as I'm concerned. Many USB3 ports work fine, where the PC manufacturers adopted the standard properly and even provided proper drivers. Have a look if there is an update for your PC's BIOS and/or switch the USB ports to legacy/compatible mode in the BIOS.
    Zsolt wrote:
    They don't say as far as I'm concerned. Many USB3 ports work fine, where the PC manufacturers adopted the standard properly and even provided proper drivers. Have a look if there is an update for your PC's BIOS and/or switch the USB ports to legacy/compatible mode in the BIOS.
    Look here https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-800-1000-2000-series-via-series-start-20-and-60-series-mydrive-19/mydrive-connect-compatible-with-windows-10-988041/index2.html#post1022686 btw, is your own message, where i read avoid usb3.
    "- At the moment certain USB3 port looks like incompatible with the TT devices (those are usually coloured blue on the PC). "
    Thanks
    Yes, but you said TomTom says to avoid. I don't work for TomTom, so quoting from me and blaming on them makes also no sense.
    Zsolt wrote:
    Yes, but you said TomTom says to avoid. I don't work for TomTom, so quoting from me and blaming on them makes also no sense.
    Sorry, i only try to find the reason for that problem!
    If you want to go into the USB3 issues, read this article:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2012/07/13/common-issues-in-usb-3-0-devices.aspx

Also have you tried to get in touch with TT CS? Maybe they have some other troubleshooting tip for you. The most common ones and their solutions are in my post above, but they might have a more extensive KEDB.
    Zsolt wrote:
    If you want to go into the USB3 issues, read this article:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2012/07/13/common-issues-in-usb-3-0-devices.aspx

Also have you tried to get in touch with TT CS? Maybe they have some other troubleshooting tip for you. The most common ones and their solutions are in my post above, but they might have a more extensive KEDB.
    Thanks Zsolt for the info, my original purchased device was changed 2 times by support for that reason, in my 2 computer at home(xp and w7) i was unable to install the news maps(and device ends with no map), i'm talking about 2/3 years ago after purchase.
    Thanks again and good luck
    In your case I would say something is blocking the connection, if not a USB issue (as the device is recognized). Most likely you have some 3rd party network monitoring app or similar. If you can, pop over to a friend and try to update there, to rule out device issue.
  • RockHRockH Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I used windows 8.1 without a problem, I have followed all the instructions above to no avail, I upgraded to windows 10 and my rider 400 is no longer detected, took it to my brothers house who uses windows 7 and no problem at all. Suppose I'll have to buy a cheap laptop just to connect my tomtom.
    Give a call to TT CS.
  • GreggusGreggus Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Problem is not only in soft, but in device compatibility. Start 20 connected to computer with win10 and win8 simply cannot appear in device manager. (And no, its not system problem, all other devices have no problem at all). When connected to win7x64 appear as tom tom as should always.
    Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP are all working fine with MyDrive Connect. You will have some other issue.
  • JocktamsonJocktamson Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I had problems updating my 6000 since upgrading to Windows 10 yesterday (16/10/2015), I never had any problem updating the 6000 maps with Windows 7.... tried all the solutions, suggested on the forum, uninstalling mydrive connect, deleting temp folders, cache, any folders relating to TomTom in my users settings etc... i even went through my registry and deleted every single instance of anything that mentioned tomtom or mydrive connect, downloaded the latest version of mydrive connect...re-installed and was still getting a message when i started My Drive Connect that the device was not connected... finally added an exclusion to Kaspersky Internet Security for the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\MyDrive Connect and it connected straight away and downloaded the latest updates, worthwhile adding an exclusion to your Anti Virus for that folder, worked for me, might help someone else..