HOW TO CHANGE THE OWNERSHIP OF A DEVICE, OR SWAP AN OLD DEVICE OUT

NiallNiall Posts: 10,521 Superuser
edited January 31 in Travel lounge
The old device MUST still be working and in your possession; otherwise contact customer services and they will do it from their end.
See How to: Contact support or Support phone numbers

You need the device attached if you are changing the email address as it writes it back to the device.
To change the ownership of a device, or swap an old device out so as to keep your original email for your newly purchased replacement:-
  1. with the old device connected login to MyTomTom and select "account details" ( https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mytomtom/accountdetails/ )
  2. Enter your current password (if requested)
  3. Click "Change username" and enter a different email address (twice) and save
  4. Click "change password" (optional) and save if changed
  5. Click "change personal details" (optional) and save if changed
  6. Click on "Log out"
  7. Disconnect the old device
  8. Connect the new device
  9. Move the mouse over the TomTom logo and then point at and click on "Log in"
  10. Select "Account details" and log back in with your original email and password
  11. In the panel "Connected device is not linked to this account" click on "> Link the connected device to this account" and follow the advice on the screen.

Then check for updates; doing the software first, followed by the maps, then the speed cams (NOT all at once :D )

This procedure does not transfer any the information from the old one to the newer one. So if selling remember to clear all personal details from the old device, like Home, Favourites, Recent destinations, My places, My Routes, etc.

If a person is selling the device (or giving it away), by using the new users email address you have the key for a successful exchange as you can send the device and only send the password when it has arrived and the payment has cleared. :cool:
Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍

If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"

Comments

• daveh1944daveh1944 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    My old device died during a routine update, couple of months out of warranty. I only have one device at a time and one email
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,152 Superusers
    Call support to straighten out your account details then:
    United States
    866 486 6866
    Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EDT
    Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EDT
  • Redroof777Redroof777 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    NIAll. Thanks for your advice on how to change ownership of a device, Very helpful.
  • fritszfritsz Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks!
    If the previous answer from Niall doesn't work, I will give this address a try!
    Hope that I won't need it though!

Kind regards,
    Willem
  • jackovery4_un42jackovery4_un42 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    followed your link But it only gives option to change password but nothing to reset e-mail address ?
    pressed e-mail changes colour but can't delete or change ?
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,152 Superusers
    Call support to adjust email info:

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,521 Superuser
    Sorry to all those who have landed here in the hope of solving your problem your self, but TomTom in there wisdom have now made it impossible to change the email associated with your device, you will now have to contact Customer Service to get them to do it for you!!

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mytomtom/accountdetails/ no longer gives you access to the email address field

Well done TT :@ :@ :
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍

If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Niall wrote:
    Sorry to all those who have landed here in the hope of solving your problem your self, but TomTom in there wisdom have now made it impossible to change the email associated with your device, you will now have to contact Customer Service to get them to do it for you!!

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mytomtom/accountdetails/ no longer gives you access to the email address field

Well done TT :@ :@ :

This is going to be fixed soon :D I'll keep you posted.

Cheers, Mikko
  • 2048radio2048radio Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The website link to 'myTomTom/accountdetails/' no longer works, all I get on the page is comment to use TomTom My Drive Connect. If I use My Drive Connect and follow the instructions from 8 to 11 I do not get the option to get to account details if I have the Go 5200 wifi actually connected. Currently I dare not change the Go 5000 email address incase I cannot restore it on the Go 5200
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,321 Superuser
    Hi @2048radio

Look at my answer to your previous topic.

Here.

Regards.
  • Hans1081Hans1081 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I landed here after my "new" tomtom did not get new "myplaces" which had been created on the web "routeplanner".
    And yes, the OLD tomtom (XXL, we gave it away years ago) seems to be linked to my account. So that account now has TWO machines, one I don't have.

But the mere existence in the account seems to block sync to the device I do have here, only "not always"

It IS really strange that this would be impossible.
    Sigh.

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,574 Superuser
    edited April 3
    Hi @Hans1081

When you open MyDrive Connect and see the XXL listed there is there not a Greyish Bin icon just under the unit. This is the facility to delete an item from the .account. If not then you need to contact customer support to get it deleted.

Doug
  • beemerbrucebeemerbruce Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I just did this when I gave my old unit to a friend. Google TomTom transfer ownership. The device was a Rider 400 and used the MyDrive Connect program on Windows for updates. The process was simple but you must follow these steps in order:
    1) Connect the GPS to your computer and open MyDrive Connect
    2) In MyDrive Connect, select the GPS and choose to remove or delete it from your account.
    3) Remove the GPS from the computer
    4) Do a factory reset on the GPS to wipe out all your data

Now the new person can set up an account and claim the device as their own.