TomTom Launches MyDrive

Comments

• reader
    reader Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    yes, YamFazMan that might be the answer. But please can TT please confirm if you will be able to load the sound files (.ogg) and the custom graphics icons (.bmp) as you can on my old GO1005 or is this being sorted, if not you are losing and will lose a lot of faithful TT users to other makes like dare I say Garmin!
  • yoyo5757
    yoyo5757 Registered Users Posts: 166
    Master Explorer
    reader wrote:
    yes, YamFazMan that might be the answer. But please can TT please confirm if you will be able to load the sound files (.ogg) and the custom graphics icons (.bmp) as you can on my old GO1005 or is this being sorted, if not you are losing and will lose a lot of faithful TT users to other makes like dare I say Garmin!

Yes I also seek reply from TomTom on this point.

It is now nearly 2 years since this feed back and complaints commenced. And yes the posts from TomTom say this has been passed on the respective teams in TomTom for consideration.

But to date we have not had a reply from the TomTom company on whether will be implemented or not - which I think is very disrespectful to the loyal customers, and could damage the "brand" right across the TomTom line of products.

To TomTom Management/ Management Board/ CEO - can you please reply on these points.
  • MikkoK
    MikkoK Retired TomTom Employee Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback!

The forum Staff regularly reports feedback from the forum to the relevant product teams to make sure they're aware of your opinions. However, we unfortunately cannot communicate when/whether certain features/functionalities will be available as they might get delayed due to e.g. re-prioritisation and/or technical reasons and we don't want to raise expectations we might not be able to fulfil.

Thanks for your understanding and keep you feedback coming! :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • reader
    reader Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    Thanks Mikko,

Thank you for your comments, it is good that the comments are being feedback. But I think the concern is firstly is this going to happen or not? i.e. sound files (.ogg) and the custom graphics icons (.bmp) and then the second concern is, is it going to take another two years or not. I understand that you cannot comment on this but surely your product teams could confirm this is being looked at. After all this was a function in previous models all be it with different software? I would hate to become an ex TT user as there are so many good features in the new releases and models and TT was the best but now has slipped ! I am ready to rush out and buy but?
  • J_Cattell
    J_Cattell Registered Users Posts: 81
    Renowned Trailblazer
    I don't know if this question has been answered or not. If it has I apologise.
    I am trying to plan some routes for my holiday in France. If I use MyDrive Connect to do it can I select the options to avoid motorways etc. I cannot see a way to do it at present
  • Zsolt
    Zsolt Posts: 36,014
    Superuser
    No, you can't.
  • Fandango
    Fandango Registered Users Posts: 215
    Supreme Navigator
    Unfortunately, MyDrive is still very limited. I hope they will improve it because it's got a lot of potentials... :(
  • mm98
    mm98 Registered Users Posts: 11
    Master Traveler
    How in the hell do you log in using iphone 6?
    Zooming the screen only moves the map so that the log in box is never visible!
    Also, FYI
    the webpage is so slow as to be usuable anyway
  • mm98
    mm98 Registered Users Posts: 11
    Master Traveler
    Apart from featuring on your website "send to device" fuctionality which didn't exist for nearly a year and when it did it was rubbish you mean?
  • Zsolt
    Superuser
    Not sure it meant to be working on a mobile browser. They were planning to release dedicated mobile apps for iOS and Android, but those are delayed.
  • Betadex
    Betadex Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    I can observe exactly same problem with "No POIs found" message as YamFazMan. After I add POI file to my tom tom GO 5000. Everything looks well in MyDrive editor window. However my device just shows the POI file name, but if I go inside there is no POI inside. Furthermore, everything works fine if I have only about 3 POIs inside the POI file. If there is more, I tried something like 10 POIs, no POIs are found by the device showing "No POIs found".
    Is there any solution or fix already?
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,797
    Superuser
    Hi

Are the POI's private or can you post a link to the download site, and I will test them
    There are plenty of Duff POI files about, downloaded one the other day that would not load, when I looked at the file it was just a list to advertise the download site

Some POI work on the old Tomtoms but not the new devices
    I find if you load the file into the online POI Editor ..... http://www.poieditor.com/
    and then save the file back to your PC
    The Program corrects what ever is causing the error (probably the File header)

You can also check the file with.....
    Download Softop POI editor….. http://softop.tomtomusers.com/TomPoiEdr/

ATB YFM
  • Betadex
    Betadex Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    This was my holiday POI file with about 10 hotels and places, where I wanted to stop. It was created by http://softop.tomtomusers.com/TomPoiEdr program directly. As I said, if there were about 3 or 4 POIs it worked. If I added a few more to the same POI file using this editor, I got the "No POIs found" in the device. So I split it at last to "Hotel POI" file and "places to visit POI" file, each having about 3 or 4 POIs, but it looks stupid to me, I cannot have one POI file with 10 items.
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    Hi

I have no Idea what the maximum POI count is for a POI Category
    The Archies Camping site for Europe has Thirty-one Thousand Four Hundred and Ninety-two POI locations
    Although file wont load to the NAV4 (GO) device as downloaded from the web it's +2GB
    If you edit the dross that the GO doesn't display... the file size is well under the 2GB Max file size
    My 5000 accepts the edited Archies POI file, so you can load at least thirty-one thousand POI's in a category

Are you putting Phone numbers an Memos in the Category ??? as far as I'm aware the GO doesn't display them

ATB YFM
  • VFC010
    VFC010 Registered Users Posts: 9
    Apprentice Traveler
    Ok,
    Is it just me or how do you enter a street crossing in MyDrive?
    At the moment, I search for Street 'A' then find the intersecting Street 'B' on the map and select that point as my destination.

Surely there must be some logic between two street names we can use like 'and' or '+' or 'x' or '&' etc?

Let me know if anyone has figured out how to enter two street names as an intersection.

Thanks.
  • Zsolt
    Superuser
    You can't. But you can search for one street, right click at that junction and send to the device.
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    Hi
    @VFC010 : Try.....
    Click on Plan a route
    In box (A) enter the Name of the 1st road
    In box (B) enter the Name of the 2nd road
    Tomtom calculates the short route between the two locations and the Map zooms in
    Left Click on the route offered
    Click on 3Dot Icon and select "Clear route"
    The route clears and the Map stays open at the location (Zoom in if needed)
    Click on the required Junction
    Click on 3Dot Icon and select an option "Send to device","Plan a route" or "Add to MyPlaces"
    I prefer "Send to device"

ATB YFM
  • habbe
    habbe Registered Users Posts: 77
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Some suggestions for TomTom MyDrive.

1)
    It would be very nice to have a possibility the view the route demo via TT MyDrive. At this moment you can't use your device "remotely" via MyDrive Connect (like you could with TT Home). You neither have a possibility to take a screenshot from the device, so it's quite difficult to provide screencaptures to support if necessary. If that would be possible via TT MyDrive, it would be very easy to provide those screenshots.

2)
    It would be also nice to have a possibility to manage My places / custom POIS's better. Now you can only add/remove My places, but not rename them. It would also be nice to have a possibility to browse custom poi catagories, show them on the map and also add a particular POI to My Places.

3)
    When planning a router and searching POIs, it won't show you the custom pois.
  • habbe
    Renowned Wayfarer
    One new feature request to My Drive.

Please, make it possible to download your favorites as a ov2 file! It's true that you can backup them for your _own_ device in MyDrive, but what if I have a good collection of POIs and I'd like to share them with my family or friends? Currently there's no other way than manually wrote down the coordinates and give them to other. Downloading favorites in one file would be so nice and useful option :)
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    Hi
    @habbe
    Create a POI Category with your Favorite places
    Using your PC to build your own MyPlaces (Favorites) Database and load them into your Go
    Download the Free Tyre to Travel Basic..... http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/
    Tyre To Travel uses Google Maps and the large screen on your PC to view the maps, it easier than to scrolling around the screen of your Tomtom GO to find your MyPlaces (Favorites)

(1)..... Run Tyre to Travel

(2).....Double Click on the Tyre map at the position you would like to create a POI (Favorite) or use the yellow box in Tyre to search for addresses postcodes etc...

(3)….. To prevent double entry's in MyPlaces on the GO, when you are planning POI's (_Favorites), edit the names of your POI's so they each POI has a unique name that means something to you or modify the Name offered by Tyre so it becomes unique
    (3.1)..... When you have finished compiling your list,
    (3.2)….. From the Tyre "File Tab" select "Convert to a TomTom POI File”
    695a7f7b-2398-4678-a417-3b34dbc9ec30.png
    (3.3)….. From the Tyre "File Tab” Select “Save as" I saved my file to the Desktop as "_Favorites (Note "_Favorites.ov2" The Underscore before the "_F" is not displayed on the Tomtom screen, but it forces the POI category to the top of the list

Note: Saving a file is the only way I have found to give the file the name you want rather than the default name, it’s also handy to have a backup of your .Ov2 file on your PC

(4.0)..... Use My Drive load your New Favorites POI Category to your device

Using MyDrive.....

You can now delete the MyPlaces that aren't required and use your New Favorites POI Category instead

If needed, you can search a POI Category : See.....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-and-start-40-50-60-series-go-400-500-600-5000-6000-mydrive-176/tomtom-launches-mydrive-976972?postid=1004348

ATB YFM
  • habbe
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Hi,

Thanks for suggesting that, but that's something I already use :/ I transferred the old "My favorites" from TT Go 630T as a POI file to this new device. But it's much quicker to use those My places directly than browse through the whole list to "Favorites" category and then find the right destination from there. At this moment there's no Search -option under "My places". And I have about 30-40 different POI categories under that...

Also, you can't modify your Favorites right in the device if they're under POI category. If they're under "My places" it works.

In addition, if I'll add new places to "My places" while on the road, that "trick" doesn't help in that. How to export those places easily?
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    Hi

If you wish to load individual favourites in MyPlaces
    See..... Using your PC to build your own MyPlaces (Favorites) Database and load them into your Go
    Once you have created your database you can share them with my family or friends
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-and-start-40-50-60-series-go-400-500-600-5000-6000-mydrive-176/custom-pois-803893?postid=977664

ATB YFM
  • habbe
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Yes, I understood. But I want to get them in other direction, from TT to computer (and to further share with friends).

Example. I'm on the road and mark interesting places to my TT as a favorites (=under My Places). When again at home, I'd like to share those marked places. But there's no way to do that.
  • habbe
    Renowned Wayfarer
    At this moment you have to connect your device to computer to get Mapshare updates. However these devices are connected to internet to get traffic and speed camera updates. It also seems, that those mapshare updates are rather small (I connected my device after 3 days to PC and mapshare update was only 346 bytes). So if they could be sent realtime, it would be very nice feature!

Also, if you want to uninstall speed camera packets to multiple countries, you have to do it one by one and every time browse though menus. Could it be possible to add checkboxes, so you could uninstall all but the ones you want to keep (this is needed every time you upgrade firmware!)
  • AntonyM
    AntonyM Registered Users Posts: 51
    Outstanding Explorer
    Can anyone help me urgently please?

I am going on a trip tomorrow, so I have created a POI file using Tyre.
    Only 5 POIs in it.

When I use https://mydrive.tomtom.com/ to add it, I get the error:

The file is too big
    You can only import files up to 2 MB

Obviously the file is NOT too big, it is only 1kb!

I opened it using the online POI Editor (http://www.poieditor.com/) and then saved the file back to my PC and tried again.
    Same error!

Any ideas?

My TomTom is the GO 510.
This discussion has been closed.