Which features will be added in the future to the GO Mobile for iPhone app? - Page 6 — TomTom Community

Which features will be added in the future to the GO Mobile for iPhone app?

Comments

• ajcuk3ajcuk3 Posts: 11 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Windy roads option please.
  • edmarchedmarch Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Put the windy roads option BACK in (you know, the reason I bought the old app).
  • dawna622dawna622 Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    Yes, I would recommend adding most, if not all of the same features to the new Go Mobile App. Even though I like the new Go mobile App, I still like the old tomtom iphone app better. For example, the old app still has POI's showing on the drive screen. The Go Mobile App does not. The old tomtom iphone app, has a large choice of color schemes, The Go Mobile App does not. The old app has mapshare updates, The new Go Mobile App does not. The old App has two Computer voice choices, a Man or a Woman's voice, in U.S. English, The new Go Mobile App has two, but, one is an austrailian voice and one is an american voice. The old App shows coordinates in degrees while browsing the map, The new Go Mobile App does not. The old App shows POI's while browsing the map, enabling you to touch a POI and therefore enabling you to navigate there or correct the map error, or show the phone # and name of the POI. The new Go Mobile App does not. The old App displays the road names even while driving on the major highways, The New Go Mobile App does not, The old App shows more data all on the status bar while driving than the New Go Mobile App does. The old App can show the traffic bar if you choose, whether a route is planned or not. The new Go Mobile App only shows if there is a route planned, plus you have to have the traffic bar showing then, no choice there. But on the plus side of the new Go Mobile App, these are the plus's, The screen refresh rate and pinpoint accuracy is better. Therefore pinpointing your exact location better. The new Go Mobile App has a compass, The old one doesn't. The new Go Mobile App allows you to only download map regions instead of having to download the entire U.S.A. and/or Canada map onto the device. The new Go Mobile App has a small menu button, making it harder to touch the screen by mistake, therefore making it harder to go into menu mode while driving. The old App does not. So I guess that about covers it. The old App still has more pros than cons when compared to the new Go Mobile App. But I still have faith that TomTom will come out with more app updates to add in all these other great features, that The old TomTom Iphone App has. Either way you look at it these are two great Apps. But hopefully, TomTom will consider all these old features that the great older App has. In my opinion, there's just no app better than the old TomTom App.
  • PolarMonkPolarMonk Posts: 41 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    dawna622 wrote:
    Even though I like the new Go mobile App, I still like the old tomtom iphone app better.

Every new version or app is supposed to be an improvement, except for TomTom. They've downgraded their fine "old" app tremendously by making an app which doesn't even have the most essential navigation requirements. And it will take years to bring GO to the same level if ever.
  • PerculaPercula Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The traditional tomtom Go device search engine is far better than today. It is much easier to find the streets, because in the you must type write EXACTLY the full name of the streets. i undestand you wish to simplify the way steps, but in the way, they get the otherwise.
  • martin.armstrongmartin.armstrong Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    BEWARE: I had to delete the old app from my iphone because on my 16gb version there is not enough space to have both versions on the phone at the same time, although I deleted everything beforehand except the minimal possible no. of apps, no music etc. It was touch and go if I could load just the latest app! Now due to the dearth of features I wanted to go back to the old app temporarily until the new one was worth using, I can no longer find the old version in the uk or german apple stores!! I also recommended to a friend to download the old app and not bother using the new one but I will now say, don't bother at all until the new app is worth using. Tomtom is following the example of microsoft and making their new products considerably worse than previous ones, ie. WIN7->WIN10, this is no way to run a business, watch out Tomtom!!
    Hello, Martin, I do agree that the old app is better than the new go mobile app. But I have both installed on my 16 GB IPhone 6 Plus. The only way you can have both apps on there is to only install 1 or 2 map regions on the new Go Mobile App. This is one of the few improvements on the new Go Mobile app. You can only install one map region if you want. This allows for enough space for both new and old apps. I also have the Sygic App installed on my IPhone 6 Plus too. But I do only have about 2 GB,s of free space left. But I don't have very many other apps on there though. So anyway that's how you can have both apps on there at the same time. Only install one or two map regions. The way you install a region only is go to settings, then maps, then you'll see options for regions or the whole USA and Canada maps. Choose regions, that will leave you enough space for both apps. Hope this helps.
    Yes, but with the old app I only needed 2gb for whole of europe, now one needs 51/2. I live in germany and travel often in france and sometimes to england and the section for germany includes austria and switzerland , which I do not need , then I need also belguim for visits to england, without paying tolls, so the only practical way is to have all europe as the alternative does not save enough space. I will have to try and get the old app from a backup if poss. The lack of alternative routes is most important thing lacking in new app. I have been a staunch fan of tomtom for years and I am a patient person but as there is no published schedule for future updates one is left in the dark and tomtom will lose a lot of customers if they do not get their act together double quick!! Trouble is, getting back the old app will have to wait until I get home as I am away in holland at the moment, without my laptop where the backups are! If each country was available singly then I could probably save enough space!
  • hildepe1hildepe1 Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Hmm? Are you using different account currently than when you purchased TomTom? Even if the old app has been removed from the App Store, I can still see it and all the other purchases ever made under App Store -> Updates -> Purchased -link in the top.
    I updated from the old app to the new app and the old app no longer appears in the list of purchased apps with either of my apple accounts and so I cannot officially downgrade to old app (reminiscent of microsoft policy!). Only new app appears in the list. By the way I can only use the complete europe map if I want eg. to plan a route from germany accross border into france because you can only have one map at a time active in the app at the same time. Only single countries that could be both active in parallel in the app would for me be usable but that is not possible wth GO.
    Tomtom have not been taken over by microsoft have they? This would account for new attitude to customers here!
    Hello again Martin. I just checked my maps download options here. And I noticed you can download 3 different sections of Europe. These include, Central and Eastern Europe, Eastern Europe, And all of Europe. So maybe until you can get the old app back, you could download just one of these sections. And if you have to, you can temporarily delete one section of Europe, and download another section, like United Kingdom & Republic of Ireland. You will only need a WiFi connection to do this. So until TomTom comes out with more new updates maybe this will have to work. I'm confident tomtom will come through eventually, they usually do. I do agree though that tomtom could be a little faster with these updates. But just be patient, They will eventually.
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,336 TomTom Moderator
    Yes, but with the old app I only needed 2gb for whole of europe, now one needs 51/2. I live in germany and travel often in france and sometimes to england and the section for germany includes austria and switzerland , which I do not need , then I need also belguim for visits to england, without paying tolls, so the only practical way is to have all europe as the alternative does not save enough space. I will have to try and get the old app from a backup if poss. The lack of alternative routes is most important thing lacking in new app. I have been a staunch fan of tomtom for years and I am a patient person but as there is no published schedule for future updates one is left in the dark and tomtom will lose a lot of customers if they do not get their act together double quick!! Trouble is, getting back the old app will have to wait until I get home as I am away in holland at the moment, without my laptop where the backups are! If each country was available singly then I could probably save enough space!

Hi martin,

Please see the discussion thread here to re-install the old app on your iOS device: Click here

Hope it helps!

Regards,
    lampard
  • wheelchairwillwheelchairwill Posts: 28 [Outstanding Explorer]
    For me, the biggest missing feature is showing written instructions. This is a must-have! I need to be able to see what's coming beyond the next step.
  • MegabunMegabun Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    For me:
    I should say the app is an improvement but not yet finished. How come as a multi national organization.

I like the way how trafic delays and blitzers are displayed. Als the parking spots. Is there any way this could be customized (e.g I have electric car and would add charge points)

-Planning a route in advance is really missing
    - choosing alternative routes!!
    - synchronizing with my places
  • neuratneurat Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm sorry, but after several years using Tom-tom I quit, and I am now using Waze. It is better than the new app from almost ANY point of view. I never had any problem paying for the app and the traffic info, because the quality was there. I can't wait any longer for the promised improvements, I drive for business, and I need something that works.
  • jmccgbjmccgb Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Adding waypoints is critical. Sometimes you don't want to stop on the way , you just want to choose the route you take. Saving 2 minutes to drive along windy narrow roads is no good, better to go the extra 2 minutes on major roads. This needs to be addressed asap.
  • PolarMonkPolarMonk Posts: 41 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    And TomTom says nothing...
  • billipbillip Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The sound via bluetooth is not loud enough.
  • billipbillip Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    not loud enough.
  • hildepe1hildepe1 Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    The Go app "is not enough". As a summary please bring the functionality to the level of old TomTom. As a side note, Go was so disappointing I gave up using if after first couple of tries and once giving another try of latest updated version. Not only that but I gave up using TomTom as a whole and swapped to Waze 100% instead of using both apps together, especially as TomTom realtime traffic (Western Europe) seemed to work like a crap for some time compared to Waze.

To my surprise I rediscovered the old TomTom again, and the traffic again seems to work better - in fact it's giving more realistic arrival times again than Waze, and rather better routes as well, so I again trust it more than Waze in case I need to choose between routes suggested by these two apps.

Sadly, the Go app still is a lemon and continues to be multilevel clusterf*ck - at least for me who's used to the good old GUI since years ago.
    I understand your frustration with the new Go Mobile App. But you need to be patient with tomtom. I just talked with a customer service agent the other day and, He told me there were more new updates coming for the new Go Mobile App. But in the meantime, I'll just use the old one. That one works best for now.
    I agree with your position.... now if I could only still purchase traffic service for the old version (which just updated its map today), I wouldn't be quite as impatient.
    tomtom needs to add back all the old features that the old app had like, POI's showing on map while driving, all the old color schemes, mapshare updates, The horizon showing at the top of the 3d screen, car symbol choices, The tom computer voice like on the old app, Choice of showing the traffic bar even when no route is planned, Just to name a few. I still have the old app, and really like it. So I'm hoping tomtom will come through with these updates.
    I'm not sure why the old app isn't letting you purchase traffic. I just made a two month purchase today. It worked fine.
    Excellent! I just tried it again, and it worked! It HAD been stuck at "Activating subscription" from when I tried last. But I tapped "Restore purchase" and logged in again (without having to retype the password), and it went through! Thank you for the inspiration! :)